We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Windows Live ID’s and Gamertags

Nodz86

Windows Live ID’s and Gamertags

I want to take a moment to talk about Windows LIVE ID’s and Gamertags. Recently,

there have been a few stories about Gamertags becoming unrecoverable. I want to set the record straight, and let you know what is going on, and what we’re doing about it.

What happens:

In the rare case that you DO NOT sign in to Xbox.com or another website that uses Windows LIVE ID (like Hotmail) it is possible that your Windows LIVE ID expires (goes dormant.)

An Xbox LIVE Gamertag is unrecoverable from the system only when the associated Windows Live ID has become dormant and the Gamertag has been deleted from all Xbox 360 consoles.

Members with dormant Windows Live IDs can continue to enjoy the benefits of their Xbox LIVE Gamertags on their Xbox 360 consoles, including earning Achievements; however, they will not be able to use their expired Windows Live IDs for activities such as account management on Xbox.com.

It is important to note that an Xbox LIVE Gamertag is unrecoverable from the system only when the associated Windows Live ID has become dormant and the Gamertag has been deleted from all Xbox 360 consoles.

What you can do to prevent having any problems:

We recommend that people log into their Windows Live ID on Xbox.com or Xbox LIVE Marketplace on the Web at least once every four months.

What we’re doing:

We are actively working on an update that will allow you to link your Gamertag to a new Windows Live ID if one becomes dormant.

If anyone should have an issue regarding their Xbox 360 or Xbox LIVE account should visit xbox.com/support so we can assist you.

From Major Nelson

To me as a frequent internet user of many years this was kind of common sense but I'm glad they are addressing it as there are people on live who literally just use live, they don't use XBox.com or hotmail. As long as M$ are making the service better I can't complain.

How about the ability to actually manage ourselves what credit cards we have attached to our accounts. :) Once they do this I might actually link mine, until then its off to Game for my M$ points.

Totally agree with you there tWm, I put mine on a mates so he could get his live but then it held my details so we then changed it to his dads, so after that only buy points and xbl from shops on pre paid cards.

IMO they should make XBL register with Windows live ID, that why when you log onto XBL you log into or it would send a message to Windows live ID and this way your account will never die