We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

NASCAR::whats sooo good about it?

T0M722

Brands Hatch doesn't have that problem though. :D

Plus BTCC viewing and attendance figures keep growing because the racing is just that good, seriously review this year at Rockingham and Brands Hatch ...oh yeah Knockhill ....and Thruxton ....Oulton Park too ...well you get the idea.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with diablo, some motorsports are just downright boring, even forms of circuit racing (f1 for example) watching sport on tv and in real life are 2 comepletly different experiences e.g going to silverstone this year to wacth a round of the bttc, i can tell you, a simple tap to a car on the television isnt too exciting, but just watching the car kick its tail out in real life is really exciting. i can imagine that nascar can seem quite boring to watch even live,until we have something interesting happening like in the video that spinach posted.

I never took much of a liking to BTCC... Not because of the type of racing, just the lack of interesting cars IMO. Personally, I prefer Time Attack, but every man's sport to his own. And NASCAR takes no skill? Yeah, I guess you're right. I guess a dog could definitely drive for 500 miles at 200mph with 40+ other cars very closely to each other. [/sarcasm].

It takes lots of skill. Just because you don't need to know how to initiate, control and come out of 70mph slides at optimum speed and angle, or maintain perfect throttle/clutch control to get perfect launches and shifts on a drag strip, it doesn't mean you don't need to know anything. You need to follow a specific line to maintain optimum speed at all times at the same time as not making contact with the other cars around you. You have to make decisions on whether you have enough space and time to overtake another car, and what position on the line you'll be in after you've overtaken and how that will effect your speed for the next few laps with about half a second to think about it. You make one small jolt or timing mistake and... well, I'm sure you've seen the huge crashes that happen on a regular basis. If you can find a dog that can last 1 race in NASCAR, you'll be a very rich man.

Nah, it looks simple from a spectator's point of view, but apart from what DriftNismo said, can you imagine the kind of air turbulence, and the skill and reactions required to keep teh car going straight, in the middle of those 40 cars at 180+mph?

Also, unlike in F1 and other circuit racing, there literally isn't any room for mistakes. Get sideways on a circuit and if you're lucky, you'll just spin with no damage done to the car. Get sideways on a NASCAR track, and you could quite possibly end up with a 20+ car pileup (which of course we all like to see :D)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Old-ass thread, yes, but I can go on and on about how much I like NASCAR compared to other forms of auto racing. I like pretty much anything with wheels (F1, IndyCar, the Rolex sports car stuff, NHRA, etc), but NASCAR is at the top of my list. Seeing tens of thousands of people in those grandstands is nice. Have any of you ever been to a race? I went to my first one in April to the Phoenix night races. Best experience of my life, EVER. Yeah, all they do is turn left, but it's about passing cars and avoiding wrecks, which some tracks have a lot of and some tracks have very few.

You either love it or you hate it. I love it, as I do most other forms of racing. F1 would probably be at the bottom of my list. IndyCar would be second.

• 1 month later...

A reply...

NASCAR is harder than it looks. Stock cars are a handful to drive. Loads of torque coming out of the rear Wheels. You have to be very careful accelerating out of the corners (on the shorter tracks with less banking anyway). Real easy to spin out, and driving as close as they do can turn even the smallest mistake into disaster.

I like the technical aspect of F1 and sports car racing, and it I find them more entertaining to watch on TV, but I find NASCAR tracks to be more spectator friendly when watching from the stands.

NASCAR is not my favorite style of racing, bit it does take some skill to pull off even if it doesn't look that way.

I am beginning to develop a taste for Rallycross for some reason. Just have to add it to an already large list of racing disciplines I already enjoy.

• 4 months later...

Here I come, to necropost!

NASCAR is *extremely* hard to do. The slick tires with the racing surface, going 200 into the corners, being a foot away from cars right next to you, yeah, I'd love to see every single NASCAR hater to get into one of these 800 hp bad-boys and give it a go.

Not as challenging as F1, but ladies and gentlemen, it's a close second.

The challenge on Nascar is racing fast while you are drafting and really near others... you really can not make a little mistake, because if you do, you are out.

Yeah, but it doesn't matter - they all get millions anyway, and all the drunk fans still cheer for the crashes. Yes, a stock car is challenging to drive, but there is so little variation for the viewer that it does seem boring.

-Leadfoot

As far as Gran Turismo events go, NASCAR is one of the harder events, simply because with the even performance, lack of difficulty in the tracks, and massive drafting, you can't really create a lead, they'll just slipstream on the next straight and enter the next corner at a higher speed than you. But beyond watching the crashes in the condensed highlights, it's as boring as watching paint dry. Only in America do you have to keep it easy for the locals to understand, I guess :cheeky:

British and Australian touring car races are much more fun to watch, as far as watching the whole event. How awesome was it when the two Hondas took each other out on the last corner of Race 2 at Oulton Park :lol:

The crash at the hairpin in the race before was epic as well.

As for the V8 Supercars race at Hidden valley last weekend, the top 3 drivers took each other out on the first corner after a safety car took too long to enter pit lane.