We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

StrickenHAWK?

Just curious about cars in EU. Do all cars in the EU have to pass an MOT? And is it the same test whether you do it in the UK, France, or Italy?

As cis said, the frequency of MOTs differs in Europe. But it is basically the same, with differences max. 1 year or so. I know that in Bundesrepublik Deutschland the Hauptuntersuchung (:cheeky:) for a brand new vehicle is after 3 years and then every 2 years. Here in the Czech Rep. it is not much different:

Vehicles under 3,500 kg: if brand new, first MOT is after 4 years; then every 2 years

Vehicles over 3,500 kg: every year

There are change made basically every year in Germany. For example, they will start testing ESP lights in 2015 due to new EU automotive regulations.

As for strictness, well, I have never had the pleasure to be at MOT in Germany, but I know some German stance kids have problems from time to time for being too low or poking to much. And FYI, rims on your car need to be approved accordingly so replica wheels without TÜV cerftificates are forbidden.

And also window tint. I notice that SUVs and wagons sold in the US have tinted windows from the factory, save for the windshield and front two windows. In Europe, usually the same SUVs/wagons do not have tinted windows. Are the tint laws stricter there?

At least European vehicles do come with tinted windows from factory already - even windscreens are tinted to 80% (BMW). The glass itself is darker, it's not just film. That is why Benzes have a blue tint, for instance. Factory tints are about 20 to 25% on BMWs and Mercs (so 75-80% of light allowed to shine through the glass). And there is privacy glass option which is used on side and back windows on many vehicles of any make. BMW also has Climate comfort windscreen (looks a bit purple) and windows

Again, whether you can put tint films on side windows (driver's and passenger's) or not depends on the laws of each country. No clue how it is in the States, in Cali front windows should stay clear even from factory.

In the Czech it is allowed for all windows except windscreen. Max. 75% of light into cabin on windscreen (that means you can't put anything on it as it is basically factory tint percentage) and 70% of light into cabin on driver's and passenger's windows. You can have whatever tints on other windows. Remember, you can't put tints on already factory tinted windows (privacy glass). I'm not sure how it is with climate comfort windows.

Guest MrLolololXD

Yeah that's one thing this country is really missing. Once you get your car registered that's it, no more checks. And that could've been 20+ years ago. Even just having a check every 2 years would be great.

To be honest, i prefer having MOT then nothing at all. Probably lot's of death traps on your roads...

Even with MOT's there's a high chance of them being on the road.

As they say, "An MoT is only valid on the day you got it". I personally know of people running cars well over the limit for noise & emissions because come MoT day they slapped the original exhaust back on , then after they put there other one back on. Nothing bad but you see where I'm coming from.

As they say, "An MoT is only valid on the day you got it". I personally know of people running cars well over the limit for noise & emissions because come MoT day they slapped the original exhaust back on , then after they put there other one back on. Nothing bad but you see where I'm coming from.

People do that with entire engines here. Put the original motor in for MOT and then when they pass and get back home they simply lift the 800 BHP engine back in the car :)

I do the same with my exhaust. But my car is not a death trap because it has an "illegal exhaust". They also check everything wheel, suspension, bushes and brake wise, the things which make a car safe. I probably spend more money on suspension/bushes etc then the average Jon Doe that doesn't give a single f*** about their car.

i am agree with you all about mot, i prefer to have mot rather have nothing, but not everything will work with rules, even if i know that we have no mot, i am looking for my cars technical condition, to check that everything is ok, we are all humans and got brain, so we should think and do right things, we don't need rules for all this staff :)

• 2 weeks later...
I do the same with my exhaust. But my car is not a death trap because it has an "illegal exhaust". They also check everything wheel, suspension, bushes and brake wise, the things which make a car safe. I probably spend more money on suspension/bushes etc then the average Jon Doe that doesn't give a single f*** about their car.

Not saying that it means it's a death trap, just saying that all in all an MOT is really just a bit of paper to say your car can go on the road and follows legal limits. Stuff like emissions are total collop if you ask me as a burst exhaust is't going to hurt anyone...a knackered suspension arm is.

I'm lucky in that I know the guy who does my MOT's so emissions are no problem as long as there fixed by the next MOT ;) If you think that's 'bad', I know a few people who's MOT pass consisted of the car not even going to a garage, because there mate works at the garage. (thankfully, there cars are safe & solid enough), all a matter of who you know...much like me getting parts for trade price. :lol:

--

I don't think I've shown shots of the 'van' yet have I?...

Industrial seat covers, check.

[ATTACH]19456[/ATTACH]

Rear space to fit stuff? Check. (managed to take all the old kitchen cabinets, dishwasher & even the kitchen sink in this thing! photo proofed as well ;) )

[ATTACH]19457[/ATTACH]

Industrial gloss/matte(due to age) white & unpainted bumpers, with patches of rust. Check.

[ATTACH]19458[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19459[/ATTACH]

Did I say rust? Theres plenty of the stuff...

[ATTACH]19460[/ATTACH]

I'm sure that's safe enough. ;)

looks wise, shes a dog. Bits of surface rust in places. oh and the passenger side door was bashed some point in it's life, and insted of side trim I've got duct tape on (the trim is in the car).

Mechanical wise. Perfect. 64k (miles) on the clock on it's silky smooth 1.2 petrol motor. It lacks every kind of feature im sure you's all enjoy. Rev counter, power steering, ABS. It has an Airbag...oh and a cassette player. :cool:

Thing just keeps on pulling no matter what you throw at it. :lol:

As well as being a van, it's a general muck about car, and going to be tracked next month at knockhill. Because Wannabe track car. :lol:

That weather.... it's it's so paradisical! (a word?)

I had to double look your 7th image though ermm Jill as it looked like a crab or fish was fishing in the background imo.

Hahaha, that's actually an weird plant, that grows a stick in some period of the year, but that one died and ended up like that... almost falling. And the weather was epic over there past week.

:D

Guest MrLolololXD

Oh god the importing process... Good luck with it, hopefully it goes a lot smoother and better than it did for me when I imported my Supra lol :p

Got any more info about it? And I can tell you now, those 3 months will feel like 3 years.