We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

StrickenHAWK?

Thanks, both. I definitely remember your names!

There are much better and newer cars out there, but I enjoy the feeling of driving something older than the norm and being able to fix most things myself. Excluding the E46, the E92 is actually one of the oldest cars on my street - I'll never be one for "keeping up with the Jones". The neighbour two doors down has a new-ish A43 AMG, but it doesn't appeal to me - its quick, but it sounds like a wet fart and is yet another overstyled blob in my eyes. I might consider one of BMW's last inline 6 turbo petrols (M140 or M240) when they're about ten years old as the styling is alright and I6 engine noises, then the U.K. will probably be taken over by EVs.

I will have owned the E46 for ten years in January, so even if it manages to get condemned I'll just park it outside the house, keep it looking nice and celebrate ten years of ownership anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

The E46 finally went in for its MOT on Friday and... it didn't pass.

However, it didn't fail on anything I thought it might fail on which was a slight win. It failed on a ball-joint on the front right. So I replaced the entire control arm on Tuesday evening (the hardest part was getting the undertray back on!), took it in for a free re-test Wednesday afternoon and now she's road legal for 12 months. It does need a wheel alignment though, so I won't be driving it much until that is done. Kind of want to replace the other control arm as well now as I can't imagine it is too far behind. Oddly enough, the suspension on the E46 is quieter than the E92 and it feels more solid, so I didn't actually realise there was anything wrong with it.

Other than that, and advisory on a "fluctuating" brake disc which I was aware of. A slightly perished front brake hose which is fairly easy to sort. The other two were about it being undersealed and rear arches showing corrosion, both of which I'm very much aware of.

If you squint, she's mint!