We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Different Types Of Gearboxes

Woffin

I know that we can already buy different types of cars with different types of gearboxes in TDU, but there isn't really much point. If you have automatic gearchanging in your settings, then you will get an automatic gearbox whatever car you drive. And the same for manual gearchanging settings, if you jump into an automatic car you will still have to change gears yourself even though it's an automatic!

How about setting the game up so that when you drive an automatic, the gearbox is actually an automatic and you cannot change gears even if you wanted to (having only reverse, neutral and drive). This would make a lot more sense and would also make the cars have their own feel and help to differentiate them more :) . Maybe you could also have a setting to enable/disable this? Obviously beginner players (or even keyboard players) might be put off by changing gears themselves and this would also put them off the game.

As a final thought, how about being able to choose the type of gearbox you want when you buy a car?

• 2 weeks later...
No point really; those of us who drive manual do it because we want the control over the car. You can achieve far more with a manual, and it's more fun. If we wanted automatics, we'd choose auto in the game settings, so there's not much point :/

Automatic mode isn't even automatic, it just shifts when the RPMs hit Redline.

• 2 weeks later...
No point really; those of us who drive manual do it because we want the control over the car. You can achieve far more with a manual, and it's more fun. If we wanted automatics, we'd choose auto in the game settings, so there's not much point :/

I actually quite like the idea of properly implemented auto gearboxes on the cars that come with autos.

I mean really properly done though, as in it responds to throttle position, so it changes up early when you're just bumbling along, then kicks down when you floor it.

Actually thats a good point because when my friend comes round to play test drive, he sticks it in automatic and if he's cruising along at 60mph in some supercar then thats probably going to be 1st gear still, and it sounds horrible lol!

I like this, I think proper autos, like the SLR for example would be good. Even with your gearbox in manual if you were driving a full auto car with no manual override then you wouldn't be able to shift.

The way in which autos shift is different too, so having this as a feature separate from the general driving options of Manual or Auto would be cool. If a car is fully auto in real life why should the game treat it differently.

Nice idea.

• 3 months later...

Yeah really great idea with the not being able to choose thing, but that would only work if the automatic gearboxes were more realistic. I drive manual because automatic shifts too early, (could be fixed with a kick-down function) and because it shifts too damn slow, wich is not realistic at all.

• 1 month later...

Great idea! For example, on a G25, I would like to keep manual cars on H-Shifter, sequential on pedals & auto on auto. Also, when on auto mode, I don't want to hold break to reverse. They could keep the R, N & D modes on pedal shifters when in auto-mode. And please DON'T remove that global "auto" under options for people who like driving all cars on auto.

• 2 weeks later...
I think enthusia (great game!) has been the only game to actually model automatic cars realistically out the box.

I've tried to find a video on youtube showcasing it but I was unable, is there a video you know that shows the transmission in various scenarios?

• 1 year later...

City Car Driving (google 3d Instructor) has a realistic 4 speed auto on the Toyota Corolla as and option (it lets you choose auto for to make it the automatic version and then you have P R N D 3 2 L gears - like the real car - or if you dont tick the automatic box its is a manual with clutch.) There is an option in the game settings for auto clutch. TDU2 should be like this. Also there is a Youtube vid of the auto Toyota.