We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The New Xbox- or whatever it's called :)

T0M722

Hey Everyone,

I've recently been trying to get a job somewhere and this would be my first job. I am quite excited about earning my own money and i really want to save for something good. I'm thinking about puchasing a 360 and i was wondering what's going to happen with the new Xbox coming out.

Because, if i was to get a 360 and a new xbox come out, i would crap myself. Anyway, i wish to know whether a new xbox is coming up soon or it's not gonna be for a while. I've heard news from everywhere about it and everyone has different views and opinions. So, if anyone gets any news PLEASEE tell me...

Also: In Australia, which Xbox is the best value for money? The Arcade, Premium or the Elite?

I can't see it being replaced in the immediate future, there really isn't a need. You've probably got a year or two before you have to worry about a next generation of Xbox. MS are still adding to and expanding the 360 as we speak via projects such as

and yet more additions being made to the Dashboard.

With these things in mind it doesn't seem like MS is ready to replace the noisy white box just yet.

As for buying..

Elite: Can if you have the cash to throw about but it really doesn't offer any benefits besides a 120GB HDD and an HDMI cable, both of which can be bought separately and applied to the other two versions of the 360.

Pro: Probably your best bet. This one comes with the 60GB HDD and a component HD cable (upgradeable to HDMI if you so desire). Here you will have the ability to store a couple of your favorite or current games on the HDD and be able to get gaming in HD right away, assuming you have a compatible TV. The HDD also allows you to download demos, trailers and arcade games easily.

Arcade: This is just the console, no HDD and no HD cables of any sort. While this will get you up and running it will mean you can't install any games, a few require a mandatory install but don't worry you probably won't encounter them. It also means you won't be able to download any decent files (demos, DLC contect etc) as the 256MB memory unit supplied is insufficient.

If you go for this option you will find yourself buying the HDD and the HD cables at a later date. The only point I can see to the Arcade is so people who previously owned a Pro or Elite system which has died can buy a new Arcade and plug all the stuff from the dead system into this one, like me, for example.

Basically as a first time Xbox buyer aim to get the Pro.

I need a rest now.

My Elite came with 2 wireless controllers and Halo3. Cost exactly the same price as if I bought just the console. Plus I'm nearly out of space on my HDD.

If you can find it cheap, I'd go for an Elite. it works out cheaper to get the extra disc space and cable if you get it all straight away.

Remember you can only have one HDD on the go at a time, so once you buy a new one and transfer your data, your old one will be useless.

If you get a good quality HDMI cable to that will also cost quite a bit too

If you're not quick it will have to be the Elite. A story on Joystiq (taken originally from Kotaku) shows the Pro unit no longer being listed on the choices table. Looks set to be the Arcade and the Elite only. Early indications are a change to the Elite including the removal of the supplied HDMI cable and no sign of a component cable being supplied either leaving you to source your own HD cables... not so "Elite".