We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

What to do with puncture?

Pherelas

I got a car puncture today, hit a large pothole I didn't see about 3 mins before, then it went quite suddenly (well seemed to). I was about 1 min away from home so drove back really slowly. Now I have no idea what to do with it.

Do I have to fit spare tire and take it to a garage? My parents are away so can't really ask them :)

Spare tyres generally have a 50kmh (or is it mph?) speed limit on them, just to see you home. I would strongly advise you take it to kwik fit/similar. Depending on the car/tyre, you'll look to pay around £40? Perhaps a little more or less. If you have a Jaguar X-type though, it's £50 per tyre and then labour on top :eek: (I was with my Grandad when he had all four tyres changed)

Spare tyres generally have a 50kmh (or is it mph?) speed limit on them, just to see you home. I would strongly advise you take it to kwik fit/similar. Depending on the car/tyre, you'll look to pay around £40? Perhaps a little more or less. If you have a Jaguar X-type though, it's £50 per tyre and then labour on top :eek: (I was with my Grandad when he had all four tyres changed)

Thanks, its only a little swift so hopfully cheap. Is that for a new tire or a repair? I can't see the hole so could be anywhere.

Quite Thankful I don't have a jag now!! Well maybe not.

What car you got?? if its fiesta type your looking around £30 for a pair of tyres. Its never good to get 1 new tyre its always best to get both fronts or backs done the same time.

Depending where the puncture is and size depends on if it can be fixed.

On this pic red means no repair and blue means repair (as long as you haven;t slice the tyre)

What car you got?? if its fiesta type your looking around £30 for a pair of tyres. Its never good to get 1 new tyre its always best to get both fronts or backs done the same time.

Depending where the puncture is and size depends on if it can be fixed.

On this pic red means no repair and blue means repair (as long as you haven;t slice the tyre)

I've got a 08 suzuki swift, on kwikfit website they have the tires that are on at the moment, Continentals, at £64.50 each!!

It seemed to be more of a blowout kinda thing, really quick, but cannot see any damage to tire where is it now, will role it forward in the morning so can see the bit on the tarmac now. Is it more likely to be a replacement and not repair if it was a quick puncture?

Just leave it there like that and pretend u got nothing to do with it.

Oh, and next time try to resist the itch to steal ur parents car.....:D

:jk::nuts:

check a pressure in the spare wheel, put it on, hopefully u know how to, if not, ask ur neighbor/frend, drive it to the nearest garage to fix the tire and put it back.

Like Nodz said, if u got a puncture on the side of the tire (red zone), even if someone tries to fix it, it will hold very briefly so don't do it, cause it could be dangerous.

Just leave it there like that and pretend u got nothing to do with it.

Oh, and next time try to resist the itch to steal ur parents car.....:D

:jk::nuts:

check a pressure in the spare wheel, put it on, hopefully u know how to, if not, ask ur neighbor/frend, drive it to the nearest garage to fix the tire and put it back.

Like Nodz said, if u got a puncture on the side of the tire (red zone), even if someone tries to fix it, it will hold very briefly so don't do it, cause it could be dangerous.

Ha, i didn't steal it and will ring them in the morning. Yer i'll just replace it if its badly damamged, won't mess about.

Is it cheaper if i just take the wheel in and not the whole car? Will get a friend to give me a lift in.

Normally tires that are deflated from hitting a pot-hole are deflated because a belt in the tire has slipped and allowed the air to seep out either through the tread itself or around the bead of the tire and rim. If the rim isn't bent then there is a good chance that the tire has been damaged, and slipped belts on the tire cannot be repaired. The tire must be replaced. Take it to a shop and have them inspect the wheel and tire. They will then be able to tell you if it is fixable or not, and if they are a good shop, they will tell you why. More than likely you are looking at replacing the tire, but unless the tires on that axle are both brand new, always replace tires by the axle (in twos) to ensure even wear.

Try independent garages as they are normally cheaper than quick fit. Also at independents you can buy "part worn" tyres, they still have legal tread just not brand new. Normally off cars being scrapped or people who change both fronts when only one needs doing etc

Thank you all for your help, will get help to fit spare wheel and take it in to a local tire place. Just cough up for the tires.

Thanks TDU 505 but no thanks becouse it was my fault, should have seen the pot hole. Everyone pays enougth cauncil tax as it is.

+rep to all who helped if i can :)