We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Tutorial: How to create startable custom races in the TDU Map

Carda

Part 1

This tutorial won't be written within a few minutes, neither will it be finished today. Each day I'll add a new section to this tutorial until it is finished. The goal of this tutorial will be that you will be creating you own kind of races with bots, not limited to testdrive a time-challenge, created in the editor.

*) What you need is a HexEditor (free downloadable on many websites) that supports copy/paste. HexEdit 1.03 proved virusfree and spywareclean for me. Check his site out first before you download on: http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~prewett/hexedit/

Part 2

The races we are going to create will be startable from the map in TDU. We cannot add locations on the map, but luckely we can USE existing locations to start the race we have modded. This means we have to replace existing races with our modded races if we like to drive 'm.

In the lower left corner of the picture below, you see the location on the map of the race we are going to mod. The origional TDU data for this race (waypoints, amount of bots and much more) are stored in TSFE0045.IGE and this file is going to be modded.

2763144.jpg

We are going to mod this rookie challenge into our race

Part 3

So far we can create a few different kind of races with bots:

*) Sprint (start -> pass a few checkpoints -> finish)

*) Lap Races (start -> race laps and pass checkpoints meanwhile -> finish)

*) Eliminator Races (start -> race laps, pass checkpoints and knockout a bot each lap -> finish)

The racetype 'Sprint' looks and is the easiest one to mod. As discussed in part 2, we are going to mod the race that belongs to the start location in Honolulu (TSFE0045.IGE).

With the help of the templates I will make available to you in this tutorial you won't have to worry much about modding. Here is the template for a sprint race over TSFE0045.IGE. Download and extract it (NOT to TDU but somewhere on your PC). http://www.filefront.com/15413739/TSFE0045.zip

Put the extracted file somewhere and make a copy of it to always have the origional untouched downloaded file.

*) Go Editor mode of TDU

*) Go create a time challenge. When you get to the MAP section of the editor, make sure you make a track consisting ONLY out of a startline, 2 checkpoints and a finish line. This rule is fixed on this track. TSFE0045.IGE is the race we are going to mod and it can never have more then 2 checkpoints between a startline and a finishline, nor can it have less or TDU will crash. (ofcourse many of the races later will be able to hold more checkpoints). Note: You will see I use this track in all my race packs as first race and it ALWAYS has only 2 checkpoints besides the start- and finishline, otherwise TDU crashes.

*) The settings of the time challenge don't mind

*) Give the race a name like 'MyRace01'

*) SAVE the time challenge.

Basically what you did here is: use the 'MAP' function of the editor to create your own track and save it. NEVER MIND it's a time-challenge and NEVER MIND the time-challenge settings because with our template the track will turn into a Sprint race with bots.

Now the next step ofcourse is going to be: Insert the startline, 2 checkpoints and finishline information from your time-challenge into the TSFE0045.IGE sprint race template.

Part 4:

What do you need to know about .IGE files to be able to mod

Each .IGE file contains the race information like amount of bots, amount of traffic, driving aid, category of bots, type of race and much more. What you have to understand is that these .IGE files ALSO contain the startline coordinate, checkpoint coordinates and finishline coordinate. So we copy the startline, checkpoint and finishline coordinate information out of your saved time-challenge and paste it into a template that has been made ready for a sprint type of race. Open a hexeditor and with it, open my TSFE0045.IGE (not the TSFE0045.ZIP but the extracted file :cool:) template you downloaded earlier. Scroll down in this file until you see lines with CHPT. These are always on the end of the file. A CHPT stands for a checkpoint and stores it's coordinate in the world of TDU and the checkpoint number. Each CHPT is 96 bytes long and the last byte is it's checkpoint number.

In the TSFE0045.IGE template you find 4 CHPT locations. Remember you created a time challenge consisting of a startline, 2 checkpoints and a finishline (that's also 4 CHPT locations!!). A startline and a finishline are considered checkpoints too. So the checkpoint with the lowest checkpoint number (always 1) is the startline. The checkpoint with the highest checkpoint number is the finishline (in this case 4). And then checkpoint 2 and 3 must be the checkpoints in between. You always race from checkpoint 1>2>3>4 and so on.

In between the CHPT you also find CARP (92 bytes long) car positioning spot. This one has also very important information. Its the coordinate of where to spawn the player and bots when the race starts.

2812390.jpg

Added 22-01-2010 Green circles are last bytes of CHPT blocks. It's the checkpoint number!! The red block visualizes one of the CHPT blocks of 96 bytes. The blue circle visualizes the CARP block of 92 bytes.

The important information of your created time challenge is:

*) the coordinates of the startline, the 2 checkpoints and the finishline (4xCHPT) in which 01 is the startline and 04 the finish.

*) the coordinates of the car positioning spot (CARP)

Part5

The time challenge you created is saved in mydocuments/test drive unlimited/savegame/your account/IGE

Shame TDU doesn't use normal names but filenames like 4F5407BA.IGE so it's hard to find what time-challenge you last created. Luckely Windows has an option to sort files on 'created date/time' and I use this option to see what time-challenge was created last and that one has to be the latest saved time-challenge within the editor of TDU.

*) Open HexEdit and with it, open the last saved time-challenge in mydocuments/test drive unlimited/savegame/your account/IGE

*) Open another HexEdit and open the TSFE0045.IGE template you downloaded.

Scroll a bit down in your time-challenge file until you see the word CHPT appear. Do the same with the TSFE0045.IGE template and put the 2 hexedit screens next to eachother to be able to quickly copy and paste.

Your job is to replace the 4 CHPT blocks (96 bytes each) and the CARP block (92 bytes) in the TSFE0045.IGE template with the information from your saved time challenge. Remember that each checkpoint has its checkpoint number as last byte. Recommended is to paste the same checkpoint number over it. So paste YOUR checkpoint 01 over the template's 01 and so on.

Note: HexEdit can only copy/paste 200 bytes so NEVER try to copy 2 CHPT at once. I always copy each CHPT and CARP block separate.

Save the TSFE0045.IGE template where you pasted your CHPT/CARP information into. Then overwrite the TDU/Euro/Bnk/IGE/TSFE0045.IGE with the TSFE0045.IGE file you saved with hexedit.

Your time challenge just became a sprint against 5 class F bots with traffic off, startable from the gamemap and with gold as reward. (don't worry, tomorrow we go into changing the category/amount of bots and traffic too)

Part 6

Congratulations if you hereby managed to create your first custom race with the 5 Class F bots. I guess you also have good grades in mathematics cause the HexEdit part wasn't easy to explain for me. You completed the hard part and all modding that comes after this is just a piece of cake compared to the copy / paste of CHPT and CARP information.

Ofcourse racing against 5 class F bots with traffic can be fun but we want more!! I'll go over a few things you can mod in your created Sprint Race TSFE0045.IGE

*) How to change amount of bots

*) How to change vehicle class of bots (F/E/D/C/B/A or G)

*) Traffic Off / On

*) What kind of driving assistance

Q: How to change amount of bots in your race:

A: Last byte of the NbIA block (its 16bytes long) is amount of bots. It's the byte just before IAVT starts. Change from 01 to 07 for the amount of bots in your race.

Q: How to change the category of cars the bots use in your race:

A: Last byte of the IAS4 block (its 16bytes long) is the bots car category. It's the byte just before IAS5 starts. 00 is Cat.A bots. 01 is Cat.B bots. 02 is Cat.C bots. 03 is Cat.D bots. 04 is Cat.E bots. 05 is Cat.F bots and ofcourse 06 is Cat.G bots.

Q: How to use No Traffic

A: Last byte of the ChTR block (its 16bytes long). 00 is traffic Off and 01 is traffic On.

Q: How to use Traffic On

A: Last byte of the ChTR block (its 16bytes long). 00 is traffic Off and 01 is traffic On. After putting traffic On, you have to mod another value (amount of traffic). End of the trat block (its 16bytes long). 01 is low traffic, 02 is bit more, 03 is medium traffic, 04 is high traffic and 05 is highest traffic.

Q: The driving assistance setting of a race always OVERRIDES the player's setting. (I'm starting to figure this out at the moment but not still 100% sure). So it's important to ALWAYS mod this one to YOUR liking. Last byte of the DrAi block (its 16bytes long). 00 is the Fullest driving assistance. 01 is Sports Driving Assistance. 02 is Hypersport and 03 is Driving Assistance Off.

Part 7:

So now you are able to create a sprint race with 2 checkpoints and have control over the bots and traffic inside the TSFE0045.IGE

Let's get to the next step: let's make a race out of 2 laps from TSFE0045.IGE. You cannot use the TSFE0045.IGE template you downloaded earlier because it's the one template for sprint type of races. You need a template for 2Laps type of races. Download that template here: http://www.filefront.com/15413787/TSFE0045%202Laps%20Race-Template.zip

*) Go Editor mode of TDU and create a new time challenge. One suited for lap races as in the example below. TDU will automatically fill up the route from the finishline to the startline.

2766265.jpg

*) As before, make sure you make a track consisting ONLY out of a startline, 2 checkpoints and a finish line. This rule is fixed on this track. TSFE0045.IGE is the race we are going to mod and it can never have more then 2 checkpoints between a startline and a finishline, nor can it have less or TDU will crash. (ofcourse many of the races later will be able to hold more checkpoints). Note: You will see I use this track in all my race packs as first race and it ALWAYS has only 2 checkpoints besides the start- and finishline, otherwise TDU crashes.

*) The settings of the time challenge don't mind

*) Give the race a name like 'MyRace02'

*) SAVE the time challenge.

Follow instructions from part 5 of this tutorial and you have created your first 2Laps race with bots. Run through part 6 of this tutorial again if you want to edit the bots and traffic.

Note: Basically you did the same as when you created a sprint type of race. You only used another template to paste your CHKP/CARP information into. Only this time the template was created for 2Laps style of races.

Part 8:

You're really getting into it! It's getting more and more easy each step. It's time for eliminator type of races and again we are using TSFE0045.IGE. This time you need the template for eliminator style of races and download that one here: http://www.filefront.com/15413795/TSFE0045%20Eliminator-Template.zip Luckely eliminator races also need lap based created tracks so we can use the CHPT/CARP information you made for your first 2lap race in part 7 of this tutorial and paste that into this template. Run through part 6 of this tutorial again if you want to edit the bots and traffic.

Part 9:

TSFE0045 conclusion:

You now downloaded 3 different templates for TSFE0045 and can turn this race into anything you like but remember the restriction: When creating your custom track in the MAP section of the TDU editor: In this file you have to use

*) 1 Startline

*) 2 checkpoints to define the track to the finish

*) 1 finishline

Part 10: 22-01-2007 Added Its time to continue:

It's time for me to finish creating the templates for the other 8 files as well. Luckely I had a little slow down in this tutorial. Each day I learn new tricks with the .IGE and now you'll get the latest updated templates for all files.

I'll also revamp the 3 TSFE0045 templates you already downloaded. Those templates are a bit outdated and were good for the use we had with em in this tutorial.

Here are the different templates for 9 races on the TDU gamemap

http://www.filefront.com/15405529/TDU-Races%20Templates%20Races.zip

Don't use these templates directly into TDU. They only work AFTER you have modded them by pasting your CHPT / CARP information.

Part 11:

You now have downloaded 3 type of races for 9 different races on the TDU gamemap. Each IGE file has it's own restriction about fixed number of checkpoints allowed. You can find that data in part 12. NEVER use more or less checkpoints as discribed in part 12! Part 13 shows you what icon on the TDU gamemap you have to click to start your modded race(s).

If you completed the tutorial above I don't have to explain anything anymore. Copy the CHPT/CARP data from your latest saved time challenge into the template of your choise and have fun racing!

Part 12: The 9 moddable templates and their checkpoint limitations

TSFE0045.IGE ... Startline .>. 2 Checkpoints .>. Finishline

RSFE0041.IGE ... Startline .>. 3 Checkpoints .>. Finishline

RSFE0027.IGE ... Startline .>. 3 Checkpoints .>. Finishline

RACE12.IGE ... Startline .>. 5 Checkpoints .>. Finishline

RSFE0028.IGE ... Startline .>. 3 Checkpoints .>. Finishline

TSFE0021.IGE ... Startline .>. 2 Checkpoints .>. Finishline

RSFE0024.IGE ... Startline .>. 2 Checkpoints .>. Finishline

RSFE0042.IGE ... Startline .>. 4 Checkpoints .>. Finishline

TSFE0044.IGE ... Startline .>. 2 Checkpoints .>. Finishline

Part 13: The 9 moddable templates and their START location to in the TDU 'challenges' gamemap

2766483.jpg

Part 15: Add a model of car restriction for the player

2812876.jpg

Green circle (last byte of the VSpe block): 00 = Player Car Restriction Disabled (then red circle value isn't used). Switch green circle byte to 02 to enable Player Car Restriction to model and brand. Next step is to code the .IGE with the information WHAT model and brand of car we want the player to be restricted to. Here comes the red circle byte. At the moment its set to 00 65 (that's the code for the AC 289).

Lets say we want the player to be restricted to drive the stock Audi A3 and at the moment we have no clue what code to put into the red circle for this action. We can now randomly put in different values and see what car pops up as restricted but that's not the way we want to mod. We need another trick :D

Start Test Drive and enter the 'editor' mode. Select 'Create a time challenge'. We are not interested in creating an actual new time challenge, so all settings in 'objectives' and 'map' are NOT important. We entered here for the tab 'RULES' to use the restrict on brand and model option to be able to let TDU calculate the value we need for the red byte. :twisted:

2813025.jpg

Now save the time challenge with your selected model/brand and open it with a hexeditor.

2813053.jpg

Now look at that!! The time challenge with the A3 restriction has d3 instead of 65 on this spot :excited: Maybe that's the code of our A3?

In your race template, ofcourse you now set the red byte value from 65 to d3 after you changed the green byte to 02.

Note:

2813110.jpg

This is the complete value code of the car. Its not only the d3 but the two bytes in front of it belong to it as well. (00 00)

Part 16: How to set a Brand restriction on the player (not model but brand only)

2813159.jpg

The green byte is the same as in part 15 (last byte of the VSpe block). Switch it to 01 for a Brand of car restriction on the player. The red circle gives the information of what brand we have selected. In this case it's 01 3b 4b (the code for Audi brand cars). You can perform the same trick explained in part 15 to let TDU calculate the value of the brand of cars you wanne use.

Part 17: What's gonna come next time?

Ofcourse a tutorial is never finished but this is a good step forward into custom races modding. You can now create/edit 9 races inside the TDU Challenges Map into sprints, lap races or eliminator races. Add bots to em, change their class, change traffic amount and give the player a restriction on his vehicle. All templates are coded to have 25,000 or 30,000 gold as reward money and NO driving assistance for the player, to allow the best control of the car.

Next on the program are the (for me) 2 most interesting race types:

*) Change the 9 races into TimeChallenges the player can drive himself

*) Change the 9 races into "Don't damage my car" style of mission (no time limit but limited damage allowed)

12-02-2010 Added:

Some extra IGE information

offR = driver penalty counter (01 = on , 00 = off)

ChTR = traffic (01 = on , 00 = off)

forc = the blocks blocking the roads you do not need to turn to (01 = on , 00 = off)

timG = the time in Hexidecimal for golden medal

timS = the time in Hexidecimal for silver medal

timB = the time in Hexidecimal for bronze medal

CtDw = the countdown timer time in time challenges in Hexidecimal

PeCr = the penalty value in hexidecimal when driver penalty is turned on

trat = the traffic amount (0 = none, 5 is highest, and in between 1,2,3,4)

nblp = in races that are lap based, the amount of laps

cops = not checked but probably 1 = cops on , 0 = cops off

NbIA = amount of bots

DrAi = amount of driving assistance (3 = off , 0 = full, and the rest in between 1,2)

Plvl = player level needed to be able to start the race

rewm = didn't wanne release this info at first cause it gives the possibility for big cheating ... its the reward money for the golden medal in hexidecimal.

18-02-2010 Added:

Pushed through another 'milestone' today. For those who have been following this topic, you know I've been talking about how important it is NOT to change the amount of waypoints used or else TDU will crash.

This is centainly true but finally found the workaround for it. I'll add this information in my first post too ofcourse.

As example I'll take the TSFE0045.IGE again. This one HAD the restriction of 1 startline, 2 waypoints and 1 finishline, right?

Now its finally broken free of this restriction (as are the other IGE files too ofcourse). Just before the first CHPT starts you have a line called ENTI. The last byte of ENTI (the byte before the first CHPT starts) rules the amount of waypoints used. Remember that CARP is ALSO a waypoint. So TSFE0045.IGE has a startline, 2 checkpoints in between, a finishline AND the CARP waypoint... that's 5 waypoints (the value of this byte in the standard TSFE0045.IGE). I changed it to 0D and added a lot of CHPT lines to the file (ofcourse the waypoints are numbered from 01 to 0C..., yes 0C because CARP is also a waypoint and the amount of waypoints is set to 0D).

I added the new checkpoints to the file by using the function INSERT CHARS on the end of the file. The amount of INSERT CHARS is 96 (amount of bytes for a CHPT line).

So now my TSFE0045.IGE modded race consists out of 12 checkpoints. It gives an opportunity to construct a better detailed race then with only 4 checkpoints to work with.

Its a 27KM cruise mission. No bots, no time limit, no car restriction, 75,000 gold as reward money (takes about 17 minutes to complete the cruise if you manage it without damage) and most important: no random bots popping up during the cruise as well :thumbsup:. Just get to the destination with only 21 driver penalty to spare and medium traffic on. 12 Checkpoints used, so was able to create some cornering.

http://www.filefront.com/15616737/TSFE0045-12checks.zip

See previous posts where to start TSFE0045 on the map.

Time for a GOOD smoke,

Carda

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that tutorial, excellent work! :)

Still, some questions come to my mind:

Is it possible to play these custom races with an online profile? And if yes, how can i prevent that my race time will be sent to the TDU servers?

I guess these custom races should rather not be used with an online profile, is that correct?

I have a strange issue here: I don't have a folder "TDU\Euro\Bnk\IGE".

Instead i have a folder "TDU\Data_DFE", which seems to contain the race and missions files. To check whether it's true, i removed the class restriction from the "Millionaire's Challenge" file and it worked ingame. I could start the race with a C class car.

Strange thing. Any idea why? :confused:

I guess these custom races should rather not be used with an online profile, is that correct?

I have a feeling you have a good point there :eek2:

The templates have been coded with player level to rookie (doesn't influence the bots strength) so they will be available to race from the first minute of your off-line account.

-----

You have all the IGE files in Data_DFE?

If you overwrite TSFE0045.IGE of TDU (whereever it's located) with the TFE0045.IGE sprint version of part 3 in this tutorial, do you get the sprint instead of the standard TDU time challenge?

Greets,

Carda

It seems the 3 templates from the start of the tutorial have gone missing... I'll upload em again right away. They are back to download. I probably uploaded them before I had an account at Filefront.

These are my observations:

• As mentioned before, the folder is a different one: "TDU\Data_DFE" instead of "TDU\Euro\Bnk\IGE".
  • The files have different names too: The name's are like "data_dfe_[16bit hex number]" with no extension. For example, the file for "TFE0045.IGE" (which should be "A Cute Little Race between Friends") is called "data_dfe_dbea71f8a00382d277a4244d873052f7".
  • The car restriction modification on "The Millionaire's Challenge", which i did yesterday, was gone today. Also, i can replace "TFE0045.IGE" with your version, but when i start the game, it is reset to the original race. It seems that when i start the game all modifications in the TDU\Data_DFE files are reset. Hex editing a file works as long as the game is running, but as soon as i quit and restart the game, the file is reset and the modifications are gone.
  • When i set the folder Data_DFE to read-only and start the game, i get a Securom message and the game does not start at all. When i remove the read-only flag all is working again. But, as mentioned before, all races are reset. I tested it online and offline, with the same result.

So, it seems that on my version of TDU some ingame code checks and/or resets the race files on game start. It's a totally legal copy, of course. Never had any problems with mods so far. All mods (Environment, Cars, Magic Map, Bling Bling etc.) are working, but somehow the races don't.

Still, thanks to your tutorial, i know how to do races like "The Millionaire's Challenge" under more difficult conditions, for example slower cars. That's the more important thing to me.

I let you know when i find something new about the issue.

You have to make a race with the editor in TDU and save it. Then TDU will create the "IGE"-folder in the folder of your savegame.

Yes, i know that. But i wasn't refering to the savegame folder where the self-made races are stored in. The subject was the game folder where the single player races are stored in. See Carda's tutorial for details.

Try the following please (tested with 1.66a and 1.67d patches and works)

First download this TSFE0045.IGE file

http://www.filefront.com/15507267/TSFE0045%28test%29.zip

1) Create a folder called IGE in the folder TestDrive\Euro\Bnk if it does not exist (NOT the savegame folder, but the real TDU folder)

2) Copy the TSFE0045.IGE from the zip above into the created or existing Testdrive\Euro\Bnk\IGE folder and overwrite old file if it exists

3) Make sure you're not connected to the tdu server

4) Races in the folder IGE will override the normal testdrive races in the data_dfe folder

5) When TDU is started go to the gamemap and hover above the raceicon shown in the picture below. It will show my created race for Jaguar Restricted cars and the distance too.

If this works, you now also can make your own custom races with the templates you downloaded in the tutorial above. Just make sure you're not connected to TDU and the game will use its Euro/Bnk/IGE folder to override the data_dfe folder!

2879386.jpg

Hovering above the race location on the map reveales the new race data.

Good luck!

Carda

It didn't work here, sorry. I did exactly as you wrote ... no success.

But don't worry, it doesn't matter. As i mentioned before, your excellent tutorial is still worth a lot to me. Just for the knowledge and for the possibility to do the default races with slower cars.

Still, thanks for the help and the effort. :)

Thank you for trying! Partly the test was a bit for my own good too...

It seems the version without the IGE folder needs another way to be modded and so my current released racepacks won't work with your version of TDU either (the version without the Program Files\Test Drive Unlimited\Euro\Bnk\IGE folder.

My version luckely also has that data_dfe folder and the races are there for me as well. I'm gonna try connect what file in data_dfe stands for what IGE file.

found it:

TSFE0045.IGE = My first race = DATA_DFE_DBEA71F8A00382D277A4244D873052F7 (if you don't have the IGE folder, do you have this file in the data_dfe folder?)

First glance at the DATA_DFE_DBEA71F8A00382D277A4244D873052F7 file reveals that it's an exact match of the origional TSFE00045.IGE file. So ofcourse the next step is to copy the TSFE0045.IGE file over the DATA_DFE_DBEA71F8A00382D277A4244D873052F7 file.

If you are willing to do one more test please? Make a copy of your data_dfe folder and replace the DATA_DFE_DBEA71F8A00382D277A4244D873052F7 file in your data_dfe folder with the file I will put the link to below.

http://www.filefront.com/15519495/data_dfe_dbea71f8a00382d277a4244d873052f7.zip

If windows states: Do you want to overwrite old file, I think we have Bingo!

Make sure you're not connected to TDU server and hover the mouse over the startlocation for TSFE0045 (race 1). I hope this time you get the to Jaguar restricted time challenge of 37+ KM.

I hope this works cause I haven't found a solution to create racepacks for the TDU version(s) without IGE folder.

@carlosvega

"As mentioned before, the folder is a different one: TDU\Data_DFE "

I've got both DFE and IGE folder. This last one is located in

Euro\Bnk\FrontEnd\AllRes\MapScreens\IGE

ps could you please give the name of the "millionnaire race?" :confused: as I'd like to remove the restriction class of it ...

Thx carda for the good job :thumbsup:

Hi Carda,

TSFE0045.IGE = My first race = DATA_DFE_DBEA71F8A00382D277A4244D873052F7 (if you don't have the IGE folder, do you have this file in the data_dfe folder?)

Yes, i have that file and it is indeed the TSFE0045.IGE race. Please see my report in post #5.

If you are willing to do one more test please? Make a copy of your data_dfe folder and replace the DATA_DFE_DBEA71F8A00382D277A4244D873052F7 file in your data_dfe folder with the file I will put the link to below.

I already did. See my report in post #5. I replaced the file with your version, but as soon as i started TDU it was reset to the original file. I tried it online and offline, happened in both cases.

@carlosvega

Hi fredotel,

i have that folder too. But it does not contain the races. As far as i could see, it only contains some image data for the races. Basically the picture on the upper right, when you enter a race.

ps could you please give the name of the "millionnaire race?" :confused: as I'd like to remove the restriction class of it ...

On my installation it is the file "data_dfe_14a46ff2d71c3e3073724055e0ee4eeb". If you modify the file while you haven't started TDU yet, you may observe that the modification will be gone as soon as you start the game. If that happens, start TDU first, then edit the file and then start the race.

@carlosvega

"As mentioned before, the folder is a different one: TDU\Data_DFE "

Thx carda for the good job :thumbsup:

Great remark here by Fredotel! In the Euro\Bnk\FrontEnd\AllRes\MapScreens\IGE are the races too!!

These files are packed into BNK files and are very worth extracting and taking a look at. I have a feeling the true races are stored here!

BTW, the millionairre race is called RSFE0009.IGE for me. In data_dfe it's (hold on to your socks): DATA_DFE_14A46FF2D71C3E3073724055E0EE4EEB. If you have the tdu/euro/bnk/IGE folder with the RSFE0009.IGE, only change the IGE file. If you do not have the IGE folder inside the tdu/euro/bnk, I think you need to change the data_dfe file, but of that I am not sure... (BTW did you know this race was created by a Frenchman? It's origional name (you can look this up with a hexeditor) is Challenge de Milliardaire.)

@ Carlosvega:

Without your testing this never would have been solved (if ever). Thank you very much for the detailed test report. At the moment you're the only one with the no IGE folder version who likes to test this.

2893189.jpg

@ Djey:

Thank you for being interesting in this topic. Your experience into modding TDU exceeds mine by a long shot and maybe one day you will have an idea how to solve this so we know what files exactly to replace for ALL versions of TDU. (because the versions with the folder Program Files\Testdrive Unlimited\Euro\Bnk\IGE already have no problem being modded for other races.

Lets now extract those BNK files in Euro\Bnk\FrontEnd\AllRes\MapScreens\IGE and have a closer look.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These files don't have anything to do with waypoints... It's the race .BMP that is being showed when hovering the mouse over the start location when in the map mode of TDU.

Now I remember Caslosvega being able once to adjust the millionairs race, no? Let's check again what file he adjusted for doing that. (checked his post and I think he edited the file in data_dfe what worked for one day and then resetted?).

Why didn't replacing the DATA_DFE_DBEA71F8A00382D277A4244D873052F7 file for TSFE0045.IGE work too then? Some stuff to think about for the next days...

(Hmm after an hour I came up with this maybe solution for the Carlos version... Start TDU offline ofcourse and when IN the game do ALT+TAB and replace the file in the data_dfe with my downloaded DATA_DFE_DBEA71F8A00382D277A4244D873052F7 file. I can edit my IGE files without problem when the game is running in the background. TDU loads the file each time again when you start the race fromout the map and will not cache it.

If that won't work maybe it's needed to

1) Start game offline, and continue until you are inside your car of the account you wanne use.

2) Alt+tab to windows

3) Replace the file in data_dfe with the extracted file from: http://www.filefront.com/15519495/data_dfe_dbea71f8a00382d277a4244d873052f7.zip

4) Create the folder \\Test Drive Unlimited\Euro\Bnk\IGE (not in the savegame but in the real game)

5) Put the extracted race from: http://www.filefront.com/15507267/TSFE0045%28test%29.zip inside that created \\Test Drive Unlimited\Euro\Bnk\IGE folder

6) Back to the game with alt+tab and after replacing the files, open or RE-open the map (M)

7) Hover above the startlocation:

2892897.jpg

Lets hope this time you see the Jaguar as restricted in my 37KM+ time challenge.

2892970.jpg

For the versions with Test Drive Unlimited\Euro\Bnk\IGE already installed, you only have to replace the TSFE0045.IGE and you're set. Messing with the data_dfe folder is NOT needed. This can be done before starting the game (no need to use the alt-tab fuzz). We only need to solve this for the versions that don't use the IGE folder for their waypoint information.

Again, thank you all for your great help so far and the interest to finally be able to create racepacks with or without bots that work for everyone. :thumbsup:

BTW did you know this race was created by a Frenchman? It's origional name (you can look this up with a hexeditor) is Challenge de Milliardaire.

Sure, that's because the whole game was developed by a french company. ;)

Why didn't replacing the DATA_DFE_DBEA71F8A00382D277A4244D873052F7 file for TSFE0045.IGE work too then?

Sure, that's exactly what i did a few days ago, as metioned in my post #5.

Start TDU offline ofcourse and when IN the game do ALT+TAB and replace the file in the data_dfe with my downloaded DATA_DFE_DBEA71F8A00382D277A4244D873052F7 file.

Yes, i tried that too (again, a few days ago). But then somehow the races got screwed up. Can't remember exactly what was wrong then, but it kinda scared me, so i didn't pursue it any further. :D And, to be honest, this method is not really comfortable. ;)

Thanks again Carlos! I read your post #5 a few times and can you please tell me how you got the millionaire challenge changed?

So far I think you edited the data_dfe file that stands for the millionaire race and then started the game? If this is true I have to create my races in *.IGE and data_dfe format for both versions to solve this?

I read your post #5 a few times and can you please tell me how you got the millionaire challenge changed?

I started the game first, then hex-edited the race (data_dfe_14a46ff2d71c3e3073724055e0ee4eeb), started the race with a C-class car and finished the race. I did this several times by now with all classes down to F, with no problems.

So far I think you edited the data_dfe file that stands for the millionaire race and then started the game?

No, i started the game first, then edited the file. Thats important, because when i start the game all races are reset.

If this is true I have to create my races in *.IGE and data_dfe format for both versions to solve this?

You don't have to do this, really. It seems that i am the only one so far, having no "TDU/Euro/Bnk/IGE" folder. Also, as metioned before, TDU shows some strange behaviour when i replace a data_dfe file while the game is running. See my previous post, last answer.

*smiles with CarlosVega about the Last Answer statement* :D

That was all I needed m8! That explained a very lot! Last few days I was occupied with some other things so didn't have time to check this post again.

Also I added some extra IGE information in the first post for the .IGE modders already familiair with these files.

Have fun racing!!!

Pushed through another 'milestone' today. For those who have been following this topic, you know I've been talking about how important it is NOT to change the amount of waypoints used or else TDU will crash.

This is centainly true but finally found the workaround for it. I'll add this information in my first post too ofcourse.

As example I'll take the TSFE0045.IGE again. This one HAD the restriction of 1 startline, 2 waypoints and 1 finishline, right?

Now its finally broken free of this restriction (as are the other IGE files too ofcourse). Just before the first CHPT starts you have a line called ENTI. The last byte of ENTI (the byte before the first CHPT starts) rules the amount of waypoints used. Remember that CARP is ALSO a waypoint. So TSFE0045.IGE has a startline, 2 checkpoints in between, a finishline AND the CARP waypoint... that's 5 waypoints (the value of this byte in the standard TSFE0045.IGE). I changed it to 0D and added a lot of CHPT lines to the file (ofcourse the waypoints are numbered from 01 to 0C..., yes 0C because CARP is also a waypoint and the amount of waypoints is set to 0D).

I added the new checkpoints to the file by using the function INSERT CHARS on the end of the file. The amount of INSERT CHARS is 96 (amount of bytes for a CHPT line).

So now my TSFE0045.IGE modded race consists out of 12 checkpoints. It gives an opportunity to construct a better detailed race then with only 4 checkpoints to work with.

Its a 27KM cruise mission. No bots, no time limit, no car restriction, 75,000 gold as reward money (takes about 17 minutes to complete the cruise if you manage it without damage) and most important: no random bots popping up during the cruise as well :thumbsup:. Just get to the destination with only 21 driver penalty to spare and medium traffic on. 12 Checkpoints used, so was able to create some cornering.

http://www.filefront.com/15616737/TSFE0045-12checks.zip

See previous posts where to start TSFE0045 on the map.

• 3 weeks later...

This post is great it can add almost infite longevity, but those hex editor are complicated, this would be perfect with a tool that simlify this. But never the less a great post.

I would like if you could create this race i have made a little pic.

Greatrace.jpg

With no class restriction, but if you choose for example a class D car the oposition will be from that class.

If you can make this race i will be glad.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

The tutorial doesn't seem being updated anymore... You did excellent work Carda, mind if I ask a few questions?

1. How did you make your Clone Wars racepack? What value did you change in IGEs to get this?

2. Is it possible to make a race where bots have the same category as the player, no matter which class he chooses?