We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

We'll be offline for a bit.

Eudemon

Hey guys, as you know we are 3 years old this coming Saturday but unfortunately this is also the time when vBulletin the forum software we run requires renewal. Now this wasn't an issue before where you could simply pay a renewal fee but a new company has taken over and are basically turning all their loyal customers upside down and shaking them of all their money for what many regard as worse software than before.

For the last few weeks we have been trying to source a Licence that some disgruntled user may be selling but these get snapped up quite quick (and in bulk) as you can imagine but we have a contact and hopefully they can get us something in not too long a time.

The jist of it all though is we will on the forum side anyway be having downtime until we can remedy this and like I said hopefully this will not be too long itself.

I'm sorry that it appears we seem to yo-yo between online and offline recently but many of you veterans and even regulars will know that January is a tough time for us with many renewals needing to be done, and we do try to keep on top of it as best we can but for the money vBulletin costs now and the audacity of only having a $20 difference between New and an Upgrade (aka Loyal Users for years) version we'd rather wait and see if we can snap up a previous licence from someone jumping off the sinking vB ship. :D

Of course CRAP[2] and updates on Facebook and twitter will be posted often to keep you abreast of what is going on.

So essentially heads up and please make sure that you get whatever mods/info etc you need before this time.

Thanking you muchly!!

TDU Central Staff

:bparty:

[+] I understand most will know this is true but there will be others who will be thinking PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!! :lol: Hopefully this will do.

vbl2010.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha not really Woody but I appreciate the thought mate. The software is good and was reasonable in cost but the new owners are effectively screwing the reputation and image Jelsoft (the original vBulletin creators) built up over almost 10 years in just over 1 by the look of it.

Just search for vBulletin and Internet Brands and see how people feel about this debacle.

Thanks guys for the support, really!!

It's $175 for the upgrade from vb.com (IB) directly. This allows the running of current 3.x versions indefinitely and is also valid for the lifetime of vB4.x right up until vB5 is released*. vB4 isn't making many friends at the moment though, that's for sure (12+ pages of bug reports).

*You can run vB4.x indefinitely also if you choose at the time not to upgrade to vB5 when it comes out.

We can run vB3.x for forever* or upgrade at a later date to vB4* if as you said it was stable and worked. :lol: The new licence basically allows you run the vB4.x software right up until it's 'End of Lined' (no more updates etc)^.

*current terms of use and service permitting

^as far as I know this is the case, I'd double check to be sure, I know you can run your current vB3.x indefinitely though on the new Licence structure if you choose to do so.

Leaving vB would be something best avoided, as good as SMF and phpBB are they aren't really a choice moreso down to the whole importing of everything on here especially avatars and such from the filesystem and not the database.

Plus I know it sounds weird but vB seems to gel better somehow, I can't explain it but I think that's vB's strong point, it is user friendly to the users (members) as well as admins (to a certain extent). If it came to it though moving would just be another obstacle to overcome. :D

PhpBB3 is really user friendly, TDUCRAP2 might now show that very well, I suppose like most things, it's down to personal opinion, and what people are used too. (I find the phpbb3 ACP easier to get around than vB's also).

Good luck with everything, I'll keep an eye out for anyone selling any vB 3.x licenses.