We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU-car-mod-FAQ [ver. 1.3] -- What is needed?/what is possible? (for now)

thunderhawk17382

TDU-car-mod-FAQ -- What is needed?/what is possible? (for now)

Note: Most infos are already given in this forum or in the readme-files (included in the downloads)

Backups:

• Please backup your files, before experimenting with mods. (Savegame & TDU-files)
    You'll find your savegame in "my documents"\Test Drive Unlimited\

Your database-files are located in "Your destination":\Atari\Test Drive Unlimited\Euro\Bnk\database\
    It's your choice: Backup your complete TDU folder or individual subfolders.
    For more locations, have a look below. (Manual installation -- Q: Where should I place the mod-files?)

Troubleshooting:

• First of all:

Q: I want to use mods, but each time TDU crashes. - What should I do?
    A: First, you need Djey's Magic bnk1.map - find it here - please scroll down.

• Manual installation:

Q: Where should I place the mod-files?
    A: "Your destination":\Atari\Test Drive Unlimited\Euro\Bnk\...
    ...Sound\Vehicules\ <-- Sounds
    ...FrontEnd\HiRes\Gauges\ <-- Gauges
    ...Vehicules\ <-- Cars
    ...Vehicules\Rim\manufacturer\ <-- Rims
    Destinations may vary ... Have a look into your TDU-directory it is not hard. Create backups before experiment!

Q: Mod comes with "auto-installer" - Can I manually install the mod?
    A: Yes you can - search for "patchs"-folder, this contains all the important files.
    Note: Some installer come with camswap or other changes, so it can lead to problems.

Q: Mod is based on RS4 - can i replace the A6?
    A: You can - just rename "RS4"-bnks to "A6_V8" and paste it on the right places.
    Note: Think of things, like cam-position - this can lead to problems.

• Automatic installation:

Q: There is a .exe in the download, called "ModandPlay" or "Modname" - What is it/what is an "auto-installer"?
    A: "Auto-installer" is coded by Djey. - Modders can create scripts for it, that install the mod with all required files.
    Just double-click the .exe, click the arrow, ceck your TDU-path/choice your language and click install - have fun
    With this file, you can also uninstall the mod.
    Note: "auto-installer" creates backups of the bnk-files - BUT if you have already pasted a mod to this vehicle-slot, it can only backup the current files.

Q: This installer doesn't work / bring the game to crash. What's wrong?
    A: Please contact the modder and attach your ModandPlay.log files. You will find it below the installer, after the Installation.
    And then, if it's needed, the incriminated modder will have to work with Djey to improve the tools / fix an issue.

Q: I have used physics-installer - Every time I play online, i get an error message/ i be kicked from the server. What's wrong?
    A: In most cases you have to give up the physics, or play offline. For a better understanding, read Dredgy's guide.
    When the physics are hard modified, you can not play online.

• Miscellaneous settings:

Q: The cockpit-view is not working. - What's wrong?
    A: You have to do a "cam-swap" - in top of the most mod-threads, a camswap is listed - if not, ask in the thread.
    Download and use Djey's Modding Tools to do the cam-swap in vehicle-manager.
    It is an easy to use program - if you do not work out how, you can look in the modding-tools-thread. - Most questions are answered.
    Do not forget to back up yor database files!

Q: Position of the seatbelts/driver looks strange - What's wrong?
    A: You have to do a "ik-swap" - it is the same as above.

More info:

Q:Why does my game FPS go lower then average?

A:When installing mods, each car has a different poly count. This effects drawing distances in order for the car to render within the game's graphics engine. The higher the poly count is, the more chance there is of lag or an fps drop occurring when playing.

Sometimes, having higher system specs than the game recommends usually works out better when playing the game.

Q: I installed my new Bmw - Can my friends see it in online-mode?

A: NO - They see the car, that they have installed on this vehicle-slot, on their HDD.

Q: Can we get "custom-physics" for our Bmws or Bugattis?

A: Yes you can, but in most cases only for offline use ... some mods already come with "physics-installer".

You can do your own physics with Dredgy's TDUPE, but read the thread in detail!

Q: Some mods do not replace any car. - Can I do it myself/Why can not provide all modders this feature?

A: TDU won't allow more than 2 more 'new' vehicles at the time. The reason is you can't add files - you can only replace existing files in TDU folder.

Detailed information for programmers or people with such skills: Major part of the protect-system, is the bnk1.map file. If someone achieves one day to allow TDU to start without loading this file, he'll bring the solution everyone is waiting.

If you feel adressed, feel free to post here, or contact Djey. - HELP is welcome.

Q: How can I create my own car-mods?

A: Just search - program-lists/basic-tutorials/guides are available in many forums and different languages.

If you have no desire or time to search for these things - STOP here and enjoy the finished mods.

------------------

feel free to:

-post comments

-post ideas for other frequently asked questions and suitable answers

-copy this to other forums

------------------

TDU-car-mod-FAQ [ver. 1.3 - 28. Dec. 2011] by thunderhawk17382

infos by Djey/Dredgy/Tool831/thunderhawk17382

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a good one:

--------

Q:Why does my game FPS go lower then average?

A:When installing mods, each car has a different poly count. This effects drawing distances in order for the car to render within the game's graphics engine. The higher the poly count is, the more chance there is of lag or an fps drop occurring when playing.

Sometimes, having higher system specs than the game recommends usually works out better when playing the game.

@EmKill: yeah - there are several things known ... but rather not for the usual user - i really need to clarify some things.

@Djey: thanks for bumping and support - eventually it will be pinned up and can help some people

@Tool831: yes - very good Q&A - thanks

@StigSRB: As i told Djey before - i have read the same questions again and again ( no matter wich forum or language ) -- so the idea was born

best regards

E: improved a stupid spelling mistake^^

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
how about this one ..... I cant find my installed cars anywhere on the game ..... ??

I think i can answer this one... What ever car you are replacing is where the new car will be. So for example if you was to swap the Dodge charger for a bmw, you will be able to find the bmw by going to the Dodge showroom. because the game still thinks it is actually a dodge ( its only the car model and name that have changed in the eyes of the game ) if the car isnt at the dodge showroom, check ALL dodge show rooms, if its not in any dodge show room then you will have to hunt for it, by checking every car showroom. if after searching every single car showroom ( doesn't take long if you do it by clicking the map rather than driving ) then its pretty safe to say the car didn't actually install. by definition if the car installed, it changed some files, if those files changed it HAS to be in the game SOMEWHERE, so if you can't find a car in any showroom then it probably didn't install correctly/at all.

@thunderhawk17382 Firstly... handy dandy thread you have here, well done, will come in very handy for some people.:cool:

Secondly if you can somehow squeeze what i said into a few lines of text (i know i say a lot when i try and explain things) then by all means add it to the list of Q&A's

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...