We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU2 FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Who

TDU Central FAQ for TDU2. Created by Who and CarMadMike

This thread is for development and formatting purposes, and is still in draft form, when it's ready it would be appreciated if it could be moved to news

Colour Code:

Official News

Reported news

Pre-Announcement Sources and Rumours

When is the release?

Xbox, PS3 and PC versions are expected in the second half of 2010

Vehicle Details

Is (whatever brand/model) in the game?

To find out, go to the TDU Central Car list found [Here], this is constantly updated when new resources are found. Eventually this will include base price of all cars, There will be 208 Cars in the Game.

How much does [Car] cost?

The pricing scheme is unknown, due to the split location of Ibiza/Oahu the currency is not predictable either

Is there damage modeling for the cars? Are there obvious signs of damage to your car when involved in an accident?

Yes, Although damage is only cosmetic

Vehicles take damage from scratches in the paint to panels falling off, but you still can't wrap your Lamborghini around a tree.

[source 1]

There will be optical damage only. The damage will have no affect on the vehicle's performance or handling. On the other hand the damage does not cost anything, because there will be no car repairs.

[source 2]

Is there Radio (Like TDU1)

It has been shown in early art.

[Concept Image]

Do the windows work?

Yes

[Concept Image]

the windows can be opened

[source]

Will there be turn signals?

Yes

Developers listened to the community, so they have integrated turn signals

[source]

Do the headlights work?

Yes. In conjunction with night time, headlights are now effective(high and low beams)

[Concept Image]

The high beams turn on when the night comes to strenghten "the feeling of being there"

[source]

Do the wipers work?

Concept art has shown wiper controls, and with rain reported to be present, and the new models made with more detailed windscreen wipers, the likelihood is strong

[Concept Image]

Can you raise/lower to the top on convertibles?

Yes

[image]

For example the ragtop rises when the rain comes,

[source]

How will I be rewarded?

You will be rewarded with In-Game credits, like the first game, as well as achievements and experience points. Experience points are rewarded for Competition (races etc.), Social (cruising etc.), Discovery (Finding all roads etc.) and Collection (Owning cars and houses etc.)

There are 4 ways to earn experience points: competition , office (number of friends between races players, ...), discovery (discovering all the secrets, roads, ... of the island), collection (buy more cars, houses, ...)

[source]

Will I be required to prove my skills in order to progress forward?

There may be a driving school to attend, with licenses similar to those in the Gran Turismo series

[Concept Image]

BIKES

Are motorbikes in the game?

Not in the initial release, due to the development of the engine the cars use, however they intend to add them afterwards

bikes? Those we can talk about. "We're definitely planning to have bikes," says Polloni, "but what's for sure is they won't be in that initial boxed version. We've completely restructured the car dynamics, and bikes on their own are a huge investment. So we want to make sure each experience isn't spoiled."

[source]

Modification/Customization/Personalization

Can the cars be customised?

Yes, It has been reported that there is a similar vinyl editor to Forza 3.

"Vehicles can be customized in the same manner as in Forza 3, the vehicles may be shown or sold. There should also be able to sell stickers".

[source]

Police

Are there Police?

Yes, and it has received special attention, to be revealed later

So just cruising gets rewarded, but only if you don't hit traffic, a police car or a tree stump.

[source]

[interview, with reference to Police]

Environment Details

What is the setting/environment for the game?

The game is set on the real island of Ibiza (although modified slightly for drivability, like how TDU1 wasn't 100% accurate), and once the player has reached Level 10 they can reurn to Oahu from TDU1 The island of Ibiza, despite being a physically smaller landmass than Oahu has a denser road network. The Island takes 20-30 Minutes to go across, and about 40 Minutes to drive around. Oahu has been refreshed to add several hundred KMs

The upcoming sequel is around 2,5 times bigger than the original game's Oahu. It is still island, but the location is changed to satellite modeled Ibiza, known for its parties. Geographically varying island offers sandy coasts, forests, open areas, mountains and ruined villages.

[source 1]

The island is so vast that it would take between 20 and 30 minutes to walk from one end to another (the most direct route) and 40 + minutes to go around.

[source 2]

The length of the roads will be 930 km and the offroad tracks will be 310 km. The island's size will be 381 km².

[source 3]

What is the roadmap of Ibiza going to be like?

A bit like this

[image]

Can you really go anywhere?

Yes. Eden and Atari have tried to Enhance the "Go Anywhere" feel we found in TDU1, which has been enhanced by the addition of 4x4s

there is not a square centimetre of Ibiza that you can’t drive on. And despite that you are sometimes far away from the roads, everything is worked out in detail with lots of little secrets to discover.

[source]

Will I be able to fast-travel to places or will I have to drive everywhere?

The system is going to be the same as the original Test Drive Unlimited, where you can teleport to a road you have already driven on

TDU 2 shows the principle of movement in the map of the first game: you can teleport to a road you found out beforehand.

[source]

Where will Me and My cars be situated around the island?

Early concept art hints towards a system similar to TDU1 however this has been backed up by articles which say you will be able to customise your houses with money you earn

[Concept Image]

What you then earn you can spend on a little more luxurious living. Maybe you’ll pimp your shack to become more than just a appendage to the garage

[source]

Will there be weather?

Yes It is dynamic, ranging from blazing sun to thunder

the ragtop rises when the rain comes

[source]

Dynamic Weather Confirmed: I quote: "The blazing sun (although thunderstorms are superb in TDU 2) "

[source 2]

Will there be a Day/Night cycle?

Yes, The cycle will take 2hrs 30Mins

New to the series is day and night change which lights up street lights and city lights when the night falls.

[source]

Cycle Day / Night confirmed: a complete cycle lasted 2:30 . For online, all players have the same ring.

[source 2]

How many Players will there be in a race

The limit is 8 Players

Races between players: up to 8 people . This will not be the players who choose the end point but the computer using a specific algorithm that will avoid repetition

[source]

Will I still leave the session if I go into a shop, or other building?

No, Eden has implemented 'Instances' which allow you to stay with the same people no matter what you do

Players can create instances and thus avoid being disconnected from the group when you visit a store

[source]

Will I be able to do more with my friends than just drive?

Yes, You will be able to ride in the passenger seat with a driver, acting as a rally style co-driver [1] and you will also be able to go to stores and dealerships together [2]

One of the big gaming news is that you this time will be able to compete together with buddies in co-op. One person is the mapreader and will steer the driver through the courses, which will give a massive advantage if you manage to negotiate the road in a good way.

[source 1]

Speaking of stores, the players of a body can do their shopping together at a dealership

[source 2]

Clubs

Are Clubs more important this time?

Yes, Eden has placed more importance on them this time

[Clubs] will have more importance.

[source]

Will there be any benefits to being in a club?

Yes, one such benefit is an exclusive car (which can only be driven by one member at a time)

Some exclusive cars will be reserved at the club, and only one copy per club, conduisible by one person at a time: co-op mode makes sense here.

[source]

Can we make our clubhouses special?

Yes, through sponsorship you can get better clubhouses with better entertainment available

get different types of sponsorship for the car club, as a bigger and better club will give you better possibilities in the entertainment establishment.

[source]

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game is set on the real island of Ibiza, Scaled up to make it 2.5x bigger than Oahu of TDU1

I'm not sure about this one. Using Google Earth's ruler tool, draw a straight line from south to north and it comes at 22 miles. that's assuming they created a straight road, which is more than doubtful. Then if you quickly draw a linear intinerary around the island the whole distance will come at over 60 miles. At an average of 80mph that's 40minutes+.

I'm not sure about this one. Using Google Earth's ruler tool, draw a straight line from south to north and it comes at 22 miles. that's assuming they created a straight road, which is more than doubtful. Then if you quickly draw a linear intinerary around the island the whole distance will come at over 60 miles. At an average of 80mph that's 40minutes+.

It could be it's just more detailed (like GameReactor mag. Norway said) or that Oahu was downscaled.

@Hoax

Based on measurements by other players Oahy was 1:1. Based on the previews already published the devs went for realism and a more Rally/offroad-oriented theme. Based on GE there are a great many roads packed on this island. And no one has said the island had been blown up, it's just speculation from a player.

If this is true I'm sure if enough people say about doing it themselves then it could be taken onboard. However remember the old icons that showed for the different actions, low and high looked to be proposed as being an action so maybe it's auto and manual.

I wonder if they'll have a night bloom for people who drive with high beam all the time flashing your mirrors. lol

Based of what i read in this thread...20-30 minutes to trasverse the island, and more than 40 minutes to go around it, it´s pretty similar to Oahu.

The only explanation i got for the 2.5x bigger than Oahu, are the off-road tracks.

Yeah that's true because it's 2.5x more mileage not 2.5x bigger island. There will be more "normal" roads and probably a lot of off-road tracks as well.

@Hoax @DeathDriver @Blackhole I don't know why I didn't think about it sooner... proof that the island can't be bigger than Oahu? Just check the Millionaire Challenge on TDU. You got the gold if you could drive around the island in less than 60 minutes. You could do it in 45min but that implied blasting at 200mph the whole time on the emergency lane and not crashing once.

So it's obviously the same deal as going from San Andreas to GTA 4. Less landmass but more detail.

@DeathDriver76 &Nascarbuc - You both could be right. It could be Ibiza has more roads, but the Island it self is smaller.

But, I think Oahu was slightly downscaled. The highways are 1:1 but places with buildings and mountains are more compact than the acual size. Ibiza has probably been upscaled, and therefor the opposite effect. If you look at most streets in Eivissa, Ibiza then you see the roads are normaly very tight and compact and you will find it hard to drive through with most vehicles. Could have been an advantage for bikers tho :)

You may be right. There are many roads large enough for just one car but they could enlarge these without blowing up the whole island. Even with the 6-ft wide e-lane they put everywhere on Oahu there's still enough room to leave the landmass untouched.

At any rate it seems impossible to me that they blew up the whole island to 2.5 times the size of Oahu, otherwise it would take 2,5 h to drive around and 45 mn across.