We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The New Mercedes SLS GT3

chika.doctor

slsgt3---01opt.jpg

Mercedes-Benz and AMG unveil SLS GT3 customer race car

AMG has been producing racing versions of Mercedes-Benz cars and high performance street machines for over four decades. That tradition continues with the unveiling today in Mexico of a GT3 spec version of the new SLS gullwing coupe. Sales will start this fall and AMG hopes to have the homologation process completed in time for the 2011 race season.

The GT3 SLS will use the same 6.3-liter V8 as the road car, but the FIA will determine its final output for racing. The aerodynamic enhancements are the big news here, with changes to the bodywork evident all over. The front end features a deep carbon fiber splitter that's only bested by the large rear wing out back. The hood sports a large cooling event and there are air intakes for brake cooling in the side skirts and cooling vents in the fenders behind the front wheels as well. Other race-spec features include a smooth underbody, rear diffuser, central-locking wheels and fuel filler pipes in the C-pillar.

Given the racing heritage of the original SL from the 1950s, seeing a gullwing back racing on the track will be the best kind of déjà vu for fans of the three-pointed star. Follow the jump for the official press release from AMG and Mercedes-Benz that includes a few more specifics.

Source

Rumormill: Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 to spawn Black Series

The gossipmongers at Autocar are reporting that the race-bred Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 that's getting its American debut at the New York Auto Show this week may be the foundation for a street-legal SLS AMG Black Series. We've heard rumors of a racier SLS for some time, but this is the first time we've heard heard the BS *ahem* designation attached to the project, and we expect a production roadster debut before we see a harder-core version of the coupe, so it'll probably be a bit of a wait.

Naturally, we're always down with hotter versions of our favorite supercars, and if the reports turn out to be true, the wicked gullwing shouldn't disappoint. Supposedly the boffins at AMG will find a way to squeeze even more power from the standard 6.2-liter V8 and will do their best to pare down the coupe's weight at the same time.

The report reckons all the extra speed will set buyers back quite a bit, with early guesses saying the SLS AMG Black Series will cost somewhere around $275,000. Steep? Sure, but the good news is you've got some time to save your pennies. Autocar says the car won't see production until 2013.

Source

This is going to be very nice when it comes out, and I for sure want one! :)

More pics:

1 2 3 4 5

Awesome car, and they put my lucky number on it :D *although it still has to prove it's luckyness*

I've been hearing rumours of a Black Series model for a long time already, to be introduced along with the roadster and the electric SLS, but when I saw this for the first time I was affraid thís was the actual hardcore SLS.

But now they keep mentioning the Black Series, that could end up good :D