We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

GameSpot Interview with Nour Polloni - Players pay for car damage

Test Drive Unlimited 2 Interview: Nour Polloni

GameSpot chats with senior producer Nour Polloni about this upcoming massively multiplayer driving game

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/testdriveunlimited2/video/6260626&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhhBnt_Rdh_mL3J9uaSV8SN3lnAM-A#toggle_video

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/testdriveunlimited2/news.html?sid=6260811&om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=newsfeatures;title;1&mode=previews

Now, you'll also be rewarded for wandering off the beaten path, as well as exploring every nook and cranny of the 380-square-km.

There is 930 km.of road, and 310 km,of it are off-road trails that are indicated by yellow lines when you zoom out of your map, which could take you about 20 hours if you wanted to drive over all of it.

Another important aspect of the game has to do with the airport; as you progress through the game, you'll eventually gain access to the Ibiza airport.The graphics have been redone and another 600 km.of asphalt, as well as off-road trails, have been added.There will also be new missions and side missions, so those who spent a lot of time with the first game should have enough reason to head back.Polloni stressed that Eden Games is paying close attention to the community feedback and there are already plans to have downloadable content.Motorcycles won't be available on day one, but they are something the developers intend to include.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moved posts to new thread

I thought we weren't paying for damage? (doesn't really bother me either way I guess, as long as I'm not wasting tens of thousands of dollars every time I go for a cruise)

Now that vehicle damage has been added, it'll cost money to fix the cosmetic wounds, so tearing across the fields in your Gumpert Apollo may not be such a good idea.

Next paragraph:

Minor damage will show in the form of scratches and can reach a point where the body parts loosen up. All of this is just for looks however, so it won't affect your driving (just your wallet).

20 hours to get all roads explored ? :D

it is to much ? :D

My xfire profile says that I've played TDU for at least 461 hours (xfire isn't running most of the time, the actual figure is probably 3 times as much). 20 seems pretty small in comparison. No, I'm not complaining, I think it's great. Also, it's a pretty loose estimation. Some could discover all the roads in TDU1 in about 6 hours, while others could dawdle and take a lot longer.

Even though the trailer for the game looked awesome, the cars handing capability looked extremely poor, some parts in the video where the cars hit each other and bounced off, and the way they took corners didn't look all that great.

Why are so concerned about how the characters look? I wish they paid more attention to detailing the island and adding environment details or car related customizations than worrying about how we look in the game.

The damage in the game didn't look serious, just looked like the damage we did the traffic cars in TDU1, I hope you don't earn stupid amounts of money where paying for damage is a walk in the park, but if they do plan on making it easy to earn money again, I hope for more things we are able to spend it on, petrol for instance, I'm sure someone posted a screenshot of the HUD in game with a Petrol dial, so hopefully this will be in the game. Even buying new tires after shredding them up from driving around would be awesome.

I know it's the firs trailer they've released, but I'm just saying I hope that what I mentioned is capitalized on.

Didn't I posted this yestarday? :confused:

Likely, everything has been posted multiple times, and then randomly made into new threads, why this wasn't just added to the first post of the trailer thread I don't know, like the other interview was...

You could also see the pay-for-damage like this:

You can do combo's to EARN money, but you'll loose it when you crash during the combo. Maybe that's how you'll pay.

And if that's not the case: cutscenes ftw, let me see some guys in a garage are carrying new bodypanels to the crashed car sitting on a lift :D

Maybe we only have to pay money if we damage a club car, whereas no financial penalty exists for our own cars. Guess we'll have to wait for an official answer.

I could live with that system, considering that I would probably never get the chance to drive the club car.