We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Modelling goofup. (to EDEN)

There is no "maybe not". I gave the answer that our artistic director told to me when i have forwarded to him the picture in the first post.
U should pointed that fact out from the start, it would have saved us from some needless arguing. AFAIK if u want to replicate anything and publish it for ur personal benefit, u should always check first it if it's already licensed. Even if it's a bannister or a flower pot, if it looks specially designed, maybe u would like to spare urself from the potential problems in the future....

Are u sayin' that they had to pay for using Ibiza topographic data in the game, in addition to payin' for getting it in the first place? Or they altered the terrain a bit so they didn't have to pay for it twice?

It would be too much I guess, topographic data is not man-made (the most of it, at least) so it shouldn't be licensed as such...:confused:

Strange it cost to use in game since you are free to use in photo for commercial use. I thought it was only a few historical building and detailed airport-structure you can't use. But I guess every country is a corporation as well.

So much for a free world we live in :D

btw... nice to see you Eden guys here. Hopefully you bring use some goodies here and there hehe

I don't remember if Ibiza is free or not, but i think it is (or Tdu2 would be on another island i imagine ^^). Topographic data IS man-made, There is states or people that hire other people to collect it. It is logical to think they will not give for free something that was costly to get. It is logical too that the price you will have to pay will be different for each case, internal use only, used in a shipped product, ...

btw... nice to see you Eden guys here. Hopefully you bring use some goodies here and there hehe

I am not here to bring anything, it is not my job, and it would mean that i violate NDAs. But i read the forum because there is interesting stuff sometimes, this doesn't means that it will change anything, but this is interesting :)

Topographic data IS man-made, There is states or people that hire other people to collect it. It is logical to think they will not give for free something that was costly to get.

I was referring to license rights, not services payments. When u buy a topographic map ur paying for the services, not anyone's act of creation, which the licensing is all about. The nature made the terrain, man only collected and processed the data that can be used in the game.

If u measure the land on ur own, u should be free to use it anyway u want.

I am not here to bring anything, it is not my job, and it would mean that i violate NDAs. But i read the forum because there is interesting stuff sometimes, this doesn't means that it will change anything, but this is interesting

Damn :D

As Nour have said a few times now in the interviews and such, you listen to the community, which is a very good thing in my opinion. It brings the dev's and community together, and it's a good tool for fine-tuning a game. I think most dev studios have something to learn from you guys there at leased. The game will at leased not be a goofup but HOW good it will be, time will tell. Good luck with the project ;)