We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TopGear Season 15 chat - potential spoilers.

Ryzza5

Ditto, blown away by the whole episode. Senna was amazing, the toureg section was good, the supersports was just unholy in it's greatness, although besides the lap and it going maxed out, the rest was a bit deja vu, and SIARPC wasn't nearly as snobby as I expected it was going to be. This is what Top Gear should be!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto, blown away by the whole episode. Senna was amazing, the toureg section was good, the supersports was just unholy in it's greatness, although besides the lap and it going maxed out, the rest was a bit deja vu, and SIARPC wasn't nearly as snobby as I expected it was going to be. This is what Top Gear should be!

What Sheepy said, there's not really much I could add about my opinion.

It was a great episode and all segments were fantastic. Ayrton Senna bit was great and paid him a lot of respect. It was great to see Lewis Hamilton on the show as well and to see how much he adored Senna. SIARPC was surprisingly good. And the Toureg bit was pretty well done as well ;)

Great episode I think.

Best episode in a long time. Solid Gold.

After the last Veyron performance I wasn't expecting it to top the Power Lap board. Brilliant.

All those Senna clips brought back so many memories.

I can't remember seeing such a good episode, just as I was thinking that maybe TG had had it's best days they come out with a cracker! The Toureg thing did remind me a bit too much of the Bowler thingy they did a few years ago but it was still interesting. The Bugatti gets a thumbs up for actually making me interested in a supercar. Tom Cruise didn't jump up & down on the sofa and act a t**t (for once) and i've decided that i'm now getting a divorce and marrying Cameron Diaz instead.

But the whole lot was overshadowed by the Senna tribute, whoever was responsible for that segment completely understood what Senna was about. Tim, i'm glad it wasn't just me taking a trip down memory lane with that one, god I miss watching that guy race. I found it quite emotional at the end with the music quietly playing and clips of him on the limit. But what really impressed me most was Clarksons reaction. I've heard him carry on about Giles Villeneuve a few times but he genuinely seemed like he'd had an awakening making that. And at the end there was no jokey bombshell ending, they all seemed a little bit humbled. Awesome episode.

Agreed. There was no sense of lunacy in this episode. It was all a serious, factually entertaining episode. A lovely refreshing variation on the usual antics.

The Tuareg section was pretty funny with Hammond stating that "He" built it overnight. I still feel that the stunts were staged as the camera just so happened to be in the right place as the Snowmobilers were jumping over the car in true TG form. Even still, that 300? foot drop they went down gave me the goosebumps!

The Senna article was one of the best, if not THE best part of television TG have broadcasted. It was a highly moving segment which, I'm sure, has opened the eyes of many of the younger racing fans. That was what racing was all about, none of this messing around with rules and waiting for the opponents engine to blow. Get in there and get stuck in to the race!

Great episode

My memory is there was quite a bit of rule changing back then, in fact, from what I understand it's always been part of F1. I remember talk in the very early 90's that Mclaren ran an F1 car round a test track completely by remote control! In fact, it was those rule changes in 1994 that banned all driver's aids that indirectly caused Senna's death.

I think what has changed enormously is that back then drivers were much more open and honest. Today they're very corporate minded and very careful to say nothing that reflects badly on the team, the sponsors or F1 itself.

I remember a great story from either the late 70's or early 80's. I believe Niki Lauda and just finished qualifying on a street circuit (Dallas?) and a reporter asked him what he thought of the track, Lauda's reply? "It's ****" lol.

There's only 2 modern F1 drivers I can think of who were that open and honest, Montoya and Raikonnen. I'll never forget the time time when Pele was doing a special presentation to Schumacher for his (then) last ever race at Interlagos. Most of the drivers were there except Raikonnen who stayed on the grid. Brundle asked him, on live television mind you, why he wasn't there, "I was having a ****" came the sarcastic reply, I nearly fell off the chair. Classic