We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Question about dredgy's tduforums

Guest Aussie.Guy

Guest Aussie.Guy

He has a website that forces you to register before download but once you register and tried to download his fake website sends you this message:

Sorry, but our system shows that you have already registered on these forums and the registration of multiple accounts has been disabled.

I have never registered at that fake website before this was the first time.

This is what i get when i tried to download his fake SL65 AMG Black Series. I got the link to download the from the site he advertised on his profile message board.

This guy used to be a trusted person here but now he has moved on to stealing your email address.

Guest Aussie.Guy
Have you tried sending him a message? Are you sure this isn't just an issue on your end?

It doesn't seem other people have had problems with it.

I even got my wife to register from her laptop and she too was declined with the same dodgy message about 2 minutes ago.

We both use FireFox 3.6.4 and now we both just tried Internet Explorer got the same dodgy message.

Just a question, why is linking to other forums agains the TOS?

I assume it's because Dredgy's forum and some other's linked to in the past are very similar to this one (although with no where near the size of community base) and I reckon it's a matter of competition? Don't hit me if I am wrong. :D

We allow linking to other TDU forums/websites, we have no problem with that at all. But when they start forcing members to register before they can download, that's when we stop people from linking to that site.

Why should our members/lurkers come here to get the mods and then get linked to another forum where they then have to register yet again just to get what they came here for?

Sorry, but our system shows that you have already registered on these forums and the registration of multiple accounts has been disabled.

Well first off whats your Username on TDUForums? Because I can check whats going on. (You should of really PM'd really)

You know TDUforums does have a 'Support' section. So if you needed help you could post there. Not on TDUC and have a rant of something that seems strange (Even when I am a Admin there)

He has a website that forces you to register before download but once you register and tried to download his fake website sends you this message:

Thats never happened to anyone else from the 1,332 members, sound as though its your side. Even so dredgy I am sure would figure it out.

This is what i get when i tried to download his fake SL65 AMG Black Series. I got the link to download the from the site he advertised on his profile message board.

Fake SL65? No thats real...

95778453.jpg

That whole "5 quality posts" thing he has going is creating a HUGE amount of useless spam posts over there. You'll see a ton of people who never go over 5 or 6 posts just to get to the downloads.

What is bound to be unpopular is the new 5 post limit on downloads. And this is for several reasons.

1. Primarily, to stop my bandwidth disappearing.

2. We don't have email activation on this forum, and this allows staff to monitor users.

3. To increase forum activity.

Love,

Dredgy

I can see why he has done it, but there are drawbacks which could end up putting him in a worse situation. Increased CPU/RAM load on the server would be the main problem as more people would be signing up, querying the databases searching through threads to post in then each new member posting 5 times to get access to the download section. Then they would still end up going to the download section and using the bandwidth up.

And imo it would also encourage some people to steal the mods and post them elsewhere.

@Stickers!

Well tell dredgy, I cannot do nothing about this as its dredgys site.

Ive informed dredgy to look here as soon as possible. So I am sure he will have a say in all this.

---

Anyways if Aussie.Guy can tell me his username via PM I can have a look, however ive searched TDUforums ban list, there is no user that even matches his IP in the UK (Hoping he is in the UK, looking at his profile)

No email activation? That one could come back to bite you as there are many 10min emails and such that get used just to signup and run plus it could lead to heavy spam via bots especially those who use .cn (qq.com & csoftmail.cn seem to be the main ones) emails.

Do you guys have some sort of spam check on new registers or anything?

If dredgy wants a list of email services I have accumulated over the last 3 years just tell him to ask. :)

Not sure, I am only really the admin of the 'Modding' section. :lol: Anything I do I always check with dredgy.

I know we did block 10min emails bofthew? Something rather, anyways I don't feel comfortable talking here bout it, so I won't say anymore I will wait till dredgy is online again and let him answer all these things. :cheeky:

Hey all.

The 5 post thing is a trial really, and it kind of fills an OCD thing - I have graphs that show me the forum growth and when the post graph doesn't match the user graph it bugs me a bit :P

That being said though, not all mods require registration to download (though granted the vehicle models do). It's up to the modder's discretion, they can tick a box when they upload the mod whether or not to require registration. This wasn't something I was originally going to do, but it was something I had to implement to get Turbo Lag onboard with his great physics mods.

I decided to have the restrictions placed upon TDUPE itself so that people who have downloaded it can easily get support, though I might take them off on the next release.

Eh, there are anti-spam measures in place. I don't have email activation set since when I first switched from shared hosting to a server, PHP's sendmail() didn't work, although that should be fixed now.

The current level of spam could also be attributed to the fact I am the only person actively moderating and I'm on

If dredgy wants a list of email services I have accumulated over the last 3 years just tell him to ask.

Hey, can I please have a list of email services I have accumulated over the last 3 years ? I have about 10 so far, which is somewhat small.

I can see why he has done it, but there are drawbacks which could end up putting him in a worse situation. Increased CPU/RAM load on the server would be the main problem as more people would be signing up, querying the databases searching through threads to post in then each new member posting 5 times to get access to the download section. Then they would still end up going to the download section and using the bandwidth up.

Cheers. Increased CPU/RAM doesn't bother me at all, since I continue to upgrade servers without issue. If they are registering and downloading straight away it kind of annoys me and I see it as a waste of database space to have one extra user but no extra posts. If they only post 5 times and then never again, at least the community gains something.

I even got my wife to register from her laptop and she too was declined with the same dodgy message about 2 minutes ago.

PM me with both your wifes and your account usernames. I'm dealing with this for another user, not sure if it's you though.

Cheers.

but it was something I had to implement to get Turbo Lag onboard with his great physics mods.

All of that, just to get him on board? I wouldn't have thought it was worth it, to be honest. Check his status on this forum. Should soon come to light why I think that mightn't have been that good of a decision.

All of that,

It was one line of code, which results in about an extra 10 minutes of moderation per day and more posts for the forums as welll as a fresh supply of quality physics mods. His particular request was for registration required, not 5 posts. But if people only have to register I'd rather just give them the mods for free.