We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Impossible race - any tips/advice/ how did you do it ?

Methoddan

Hi all,

I know this is fairly long post but please bear with me, if only skimming through :)

I like this game a lot as it's to me a very good blend of simulation and arcade - neither too much of one or the other.

So I've been playing it a lot.

And gotten very far.

I'm currently in champion level, and on the last race in that level.

So far, with luck and practice, I've been able to beat every other race in the game, sometimes first time, sometimes after two or three retries.

I've just had a quick search on google and some forums to see what other people find the hardest race... Most people seem to be saying Tantalus.

Well, I finished it first time round, gold cup, with over a minute to spare. Mercedes CLK GTR, fully tuned. Always tune your vehicles, it givbes you quite an edge over the opposition, and most of the time attack races aren't too hard to beat with the right vehicles.

Oh, another little bit of advice - don't just randomly choose the most powerful car for races. For example, the Saleen. It's fast, yes, bt it's got about as much grip as an ice cube - just slips and slides all over the place. The Mercedes CLK GTR seems to be the only class A car with some amount of grip - thanks to which I've been able to actually go around corners at over 2km/h without flying off the road into the forest. I've won many races with this car. I also recommend the Ford GT for class B cars, from personal experience.

Anyway now that I've given some advice that I hope will help others... maybe somebody has some for me ?

I'm stuck on "The Canyon's Revenge". It's the last champion level race I have left. I couldn't see any mention of it when I googled for opinions on the hardest TDU race, yet even though I won every other race so far in no more than 5 tries, I've been at this one dozens of times, with no luck and lots of swearing (I'm a little bit like the angry video game nerd when it gets to hard racing games lol).

This is true of every race - the other players are demented psychopaths that seem to be bent on ramming you, and spinning your car. But that's just the beginning - usually the trick is, get past them all then just try to keep 1st place.

Somehow no matter what car I use in this race, the other players always have the fastest cars in the game, and even if I do overtake them, if they get past me once it's nigh on impossible to get back to 1st place. In a 13km race that basically means restart ever time you crash.

Which, dang it, is very often. I can't be that bad a racer to have gotten so far on my own, yet I just can't do this race without crashing sometime, somewhere.

The problem here is grip. As I mentioned before, the only class A car I have that grips somewhat is the Merc CLK GTR - yet againt koeniggseggs, saleens (which typically drive flawlessly when the AI is controlling them... huh nothing like the erratic slip'n'slide behaviour I get, no matter how careful I am with them), Enzos, MC12s, etc it just doesn't have the top speed to match - and I get overtaken for good on the straights.

So I find myself forced to choose a faster car - and hope it'll have a bit of grip. Which one of the others seem to. I've tried it many times with the Mclaren F1 GTR. It's very fast, 0-60 in under 3 seconds (after tuning, anyway) and I can at least half the time I try get past the opposition and into first place after the first two or three bends of the track.

Then it's just a case of staying 1st for the remaining 13km. Which I just can't do, time after time after time.

If I drive carefully, say at 80% where it seems possible to actually stick to the road, I get overtaken and find it really hard to get back to first.

And if I go fast, the car slips and slides off into the side.

Even on the straights, without bumps. the 'perfect' drag road, the car will still decide to randomly slide into the scenery without me touching any steering controls at some point in the race.

Oh, and the reset button doesn't do anything 'til you hit a tree, and even then it takes 2 or 3 seconds to do anything. Then you find yourself in 7th place or something.

The furthest I've gotten was up to the 9th out of 10 checkpoints in 1st place. Twice. The first time, the car decided to do its random drift-off-the-road right at the end, since it seemed to have forrgotten to do so before; and the second time I got overtaken by somebody seeminlgly doing about 5000km/h right at the end.

The other 8,2 million times I've tried this race haven't been so lucky.

Tantalus was easy for me - I had over a minute to spare the first time I tried it. Yet I just can't win this. Maybe I'm usibng the wrong car. Maybe there's a trick with setting the steering sensitivity to all the way one way or the other. I'm using an Xbox 360 controller so have much more control over brake/throttle than the keyboard - that's not the problem.

If anybody who's reading this has actually completed this race, please just take the time to tell me how. At least, if you remember, which car you used or which you'd recommend. It's just so annoying getting so far and being stuck on this last race for so long...

- Dan

OK, I feel stupid now.

It's typical, but I'm not complaining.

I just had another go and won - by a fair bit.

That's seem unbelievable after the huge amount of failed attempt, and even huger amount of obscenities that came from my mouth all throughout the afternoon and evening.

If anybody else is struggling - here's the answer: Pagani Zonda, fully tuned of course. It seems there is actually another class A car that doesn't slide off the road - yet this one's faster than the CLK GTR.

OK, never mind everybody - but I'll keep this up just in case somebody finds it one day needing some advice.

- Dan