We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Had a Bad Day? Post Your Story Here

"Hedge"

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Well, got the news yesterday that my cat died on Thursday evening. She had been getting skinnier for a while and to be honest we've had several cats follow this same path. The last few months she had been eating loads; her bowl of food, other cat's bowl of food, anything she could scavenge off our plates and she'd still ask for more. She never put weight on, just got thinner, so I knew the inevitable would happen some time this year. Been away from home this week looking after my mum's house and cat so I was really hoping it wouldn't be this week that my cat passed away, but she did.

Had her since she was less than six months old back in 2000/2001, so admittedly good innings for a cat, but I'm absolutely gutted. A cat that was always happy, always wanted to be with you (she'd even sit and watch me fix the car in the rain), and in some ways she was like a dog. R.I.P. old girl.

Well, got the news yesterday that my cat died on Thursday evening. She had been getting skinnier for a while and to be honest we've had several cats follow this same path. The last few months she had been eating loads; her bowl of food, other cat's bowl of food, anything she could scavenge off our plates and she'd still ask for more. She never put weight on, just got thinner, so I knew the inevitable would happen some time this year. Been away from home this week looking after my mum's house and cat so I was really hoping it wouldn't be this week that my cat passed away, but she did.

Had her since she was less than six months old back in 2000/2001, so admittedly good innings for a cat, but I'm absolutely gutted. A cat that was always happy, always wanted to be with you (she'd even sit and watch me fix the car in the rain), and in some ways she was like a dog. R.I.P. old girl.

Sorry to hear about that, pets are definitely a member of the family, it really does hurt when one of them passes away. It sounds as if she was a great cat, I'm more of a dog person as I want a pet that will always want to be with me, so your cat would have been perfect for me, I'm sure you have many good memories, she lived an impressively long life, RIP.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't usually post here, because normally i don't think it's relevant, but today, i think you guys might understand me.

I was driving... as i every sunday do, pretty much routine. Stopped at the red light, me, my father and his gf inside the car. Talking, when all of sudden, we hear tires locking up. I look at the rear view mirror, and i see an Opel/Chevrolet Astra, silver, getting closer really fast. I thought, he will hit me, i must get out of his way, as i release the brake pedal, this is the result.

pcJGAsT.jpg

xMJUjx7.jpg

As i checked if everyone was alright, and luckly and thanks to countless factors, yes, nobody got hurt, i step out of the car, as the guy who hit me also does. When he gets closer, i could smell he was drunk. Very drunk. So drunk that when we were waiting for police, he almost fell by himself.

Both cars had insurance, so money is not an issue. As police arrived, they took us to their base station, and did the normal usual burocracy stuff. They took the guy to get a blood exam, as it comfirmed he was drunk at crime levels, he went to jail.

As the car was being towed by insurance company though, they said it is very likely that it is totalled. So, even though i survived without a single scratch this accident, even though nobody got hurt, i feel really upset by this whole thing, as the car is probably gone for ever.

Heck that is a big impact! Glad to hear nobody is injured, but you will definitely be hurting (sore back, neck) tomorrow and maybe for a couple of weeks. Hopefully you can see a chiro/physio and/or massage therapist as needed. Last time I got rear ended there were only little scratches showing up and I was quite sore, but maybe you're just tougher than me :lol:

I'm sure it is very normal to feel upset over it, but cars can be replaced (I don't know if it's harder in Brasil). Focusing on the future (activities where life is back to normal) might help. You've done nothing wrong. Even with your ninja like reflexes you probably would never have been able to get out of the way, so don't beat yourself up over 'what if' scenarios. Hopefully this doesn't take away your confidence on the road.

Now that you said, :lol: my back is a bit sore, but i thought it could be from standing for a long time at the accident location and at the police station, but it might actually be from the hit. Which was yes, a big hit. Which could have been worse if i was still with my foot on the brake pedal.

It's not complicated here, as insurance will cover the whole thing, be it a repair or the whole car, and sure cars can be replaced but every car that i drive for a few times, i get emotionally connected to it, and see this little Honda get "killed" like that, was very sad. It can be replaced, but won't be the same. :sulk:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well.. Had to drive a 911 to a somewhat far city but it didn't happen, missed cars and coffee, missed a vintage car meet, also an Audi shoot. Also missed a deal on a Nikon d750 with a 50mm 1.4 for 300e. My dog also got a bad wound that needs to be cleaned up and stuff. Idk, everything went wrong today

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

BMW keeps giving me problems at the moment, today I've had a sidelight bulb go out which is nothing really. In addition to that over the last two weeks I've had two ABS sensors fail, brake pressure sensor fail, EGR thermostat fail, rear top suspension mounts started giving grief and it has decided it likes sipping on oil as well when I've never had to top it up in over four years.

Best part is the one ABS sensor that has failed is the one on the rear left which controls the speedometer, fuel gauge, MPG readout, trip computer and overall mileage reading. So I've spent the week driving around with no idea about what is going on apart from what revs the engine is at, the odometer doesn't even work and it has been sat on 146,356 miles all week despite doing about 300 miles.

Ah well, next month its due two new rear tyres and a service as well so more money to spend on it.

@GTAMADDOG How old is she these days? Irregardless, that is a ton of things going wrong and it sounds like it's all in the electrics which is never fun, either to find yourself or in paying someone to do it. :( That's quite funny about the mileage. Does that have to be disclosed in some way though or will that record be somewhere where the main display can be updated to its actual figure? I guess as long as the car is still enjoyable then, it's just a price to pay.... maybe.

To be fair she'll be 14 this year and I haven't had to spend too much on it up to this point in the scheme of things. I guess doing 300 miles a week is starting to take its toll a bit, but generally the engine is solid, it's just every sensor around it that wants to play up currently. Got the sidelight bulb done already so one less light on the dash for now, I've just got the DSC, brake and ABS lights to get rid of now :p

I pretty much only take it to BMW to get an oil service done each year as it does have fully stamped service book with only one stamp not being a BMW stamp. Everything else I do myself including all filters, brakes, other engine stuff and suspension. I can do an oil service quite easily myself, but as it has a decent record already I'll keep it going while I've got the car.

Regarding the mileage - I have no idea. I've read about a tamper-dot appearing on the odometer display when a BMW detects a mileage discrepancy which could be a pain if it does appear on mine, but I'll have to see when I hopefully get it all back to normal this weekend. As far as the ECU is concerned it probably thinks I've sat in the car revving it up and down for hours on end because the sensors aren't telling it anything, haha. It's probably bad to say, but all being well it will have 'only' done 300 miles more than the odometer shows so it isn't like I've shaved 50,000 miles off it like a lot of them will have had by now.

Other problems include a leaky differential, auto-lights and auto-wipers don't work, the other front wing is starting to rust now so I'll have to get the replacement on at some point soon, the rear wheel arch is going rusty (common) and the air conditioning doesn't work (leak). Probably reads like a complete shed now after the photos I sometimes post of it :p

I've bought most of the parts already, it's just getting the time and inclination to fit them in the current temperatures. I've lived without the auto-lights/wipers (still work as if they were just standard lights/wipers) and lack of air conditioning for a couple of years now so I'm not fussed about those. I was pretty close to trading it in for an E90 330i (N53) a week ago, but those things aren't without their own problems either, so it's a case of better the devil you know for now I think.