We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

How to fix transitions?

Tombasss

well thats a hard part of sound modding but you have to change the speed of the sounds that it will fit at the end. what i mean is: the sound files won't be the same as recorded. the file is compressing or stretching ingame. now for example you take your onlow file. then you have to look how it sounds on the last rpm before changing to onmid. in most case the change is at 3k-4k rpm. now the end sounding of your onlow should be nearly the same as the beginning of the onmid. but sometimes if you change the speed off the samples the whole sound sounds rubbish you have to find very good samples and very good speed editing to make it well. ; )

i hope i could descripe you a little bit what i wanted to mean and what you asked for :D

good luck! ; )

The thing is that you must be a musician or have a "musical ear" to do that : the capacity to recognize notes of music from others and memorize those. If you have that skill and only at this condition, then things should get easier. Here is a personal tip that I use sometimes, 100% good transitions garanteed :

Extract all the samples from the original default bnk (which has right transitions), listen to them and adjust your new samples to the exact same tonalities by using the pitch tool (example : your "onmid" will have the same note as the default "onmid" etc.). When you have done this with precision, adjust in one go the tonalities of all your samples to something that sounds like the real model, in general you lust lower the global tonality (example : -20% for all the samples).

The startup isn't concerned of course and the idle sample cannot be adjusted correctly everytime, so it depends only on your choice.

When you're done, your transitions may sound ok, but always test your sound for a very long time to be 100% sure and make some little adjustments if necessary, long hours of testing will make you hear things to be fixed that you did not notice at first place.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 6 months later...
    • 2 months later...

Furnaceden, I don't even see why you come from nowhere posting about that, you bring nothing to the thread and try ineptly to make me look like what I'm not...

It's your 2nd post on forum and you're already trying to argue pointless with someone instead of leaving a constructive comment, but still you give lessons about what's necessary or unnecessary? Go get a life...

You want "constructive comments"?

OK, first off, don't insult others who ought to make you feel privileged and honored by asking for and actually attending to your "observations." Let's not forget, you got the whole pissing contest going by petulantly demanding "thanks," and then after receiving solicited thanks, replied with "It's ok, next time you ask for help, I'll remember to not waste my time answering."

Classy!

Secondly, quit acting like Barney Fife on caffeine.

Thirdly, most -- and I mean like 9 out of 10 -- of your sound mods, are either hyper-saturated, amplified-to-beyond-clipping, ear-bleedingly noisy, and/or sloppily transitioned. Over-amplification does not an "engine" sound make. Exhaust sound doesn't mean "a dirt bike revved in a tin shed." A few sound like four discordant tree-shredders going off at once. Also, would it kill you to make more than one or two that actually work beyond 6500 rpms?

(And these engine-sound considerations can be applied to most of the sound modders on this site. Try a little finesse and a little harmonic layering and a little less "amplify / allow clipping." It's like you got tin ears or something.)

Just some "constructive" criticism. Things you can work on in your spare time.

No thanks are necessary. Always glad to help. :D

ahah you're funny, constructive comments about me in a thread that isn't mine and who concerns transitions…

I didn't insult "others" or anyone, you're quite a little slanderer. I admit that it was not very smart to say that, and I would almost feel sorry about it, but there are some degrees between flaming and insulting, you don't ignore this and it shows your will to defamate. I posted a tip here, like anyone else, and was just a bit deceived to have typed all that for someone who didn't care. Nothing more... It's not really the 1st time that it happens to me and i'm afraid it's not the last.

Now wake up... I've always introduced myself as a beginner, an amateur making low-fi sound mods, just read my posts. That doesn't sound self-important to me, and miles away from the arrogant "sound expert" haunting your confused imagination (where did I call myself a "sound expert" ffs). Also, I already posted numerous times about distortion issues etc. and discontinued like 50% of the stuff that I released because I considered those as mistakes ; so you kinda fail at p*****g me off or learning me something new, like you naively expected. Plus, your caricatural descriptions and generalities certainly don't apply to 90% of the stuff, I can name +20 sound mods without any major issue... Your subtile and delicate ears who can't stand an ounce of fuzzyness are full of it, just like the rest.

So it makes you resentful, for some reason, to see the positive feedback here and there (sometimes deserved, sometimes not), then you come bravely hidden behind a secondary identity to play the blue helmet who don't have a clue, suddenly vomiting all your frustration when you could have sparingly posted your enlightments and smileys in the concerned threads and under your real id.

• 2 months later...
    You want "constructive comments"?

OK, first off, don't insult others who ought to make you feel privileged and honored by asking for and actually attending to your "observations." Let's not forget, you got the whole pissing contest going by petulantly demanding "thanks," and then after receiving solicited thanks, replied with "It's ok, next time you ask for help, I'll remember to not waste my time answering."

Classy!

Secondly, quit acting like Barney Fife on caffeine.

Thirdly, most -- and I mean like 9 out of 10 -- of your sound mods, are either hyper-saturated, amplified-to-beyond-clipping, ear-bleedingly noisy, and/or sloppily transitioned. Over-amplification does not an "engine" sound make. Exhaust sound doesn't mean "a dirt bike revved in a tin shed." A few sound like four discordant tree-shredders going off at once. Also, would it kill you to make more than one or two that actually work beyond 6500 rpms?

(And these engine-sound considerations can be applied to most of the sound modders on this site. Try a little finesse and a little harmonic layering and a little less "amplify / allow clipping." It's like you got tin ears or something.)

Just some "constructive" criticism. Things you can work on in your spare time.

No thanks are necessary. Always glad to help. :D

You know what we do after " allow clipping " ? We do the " hard limiter " . So no ear bleeding. All this can cause is a distortion that is sometimes wanted to make a too clean sound more dirty by loudness and not by an effect, wich is more like in real. This way only the loudest parts of a sound are effected and not the hole sound like it would be if you keep it silent and use a distortion tool. If you are still lost about too loud soundmods here a little tip. There is a volume control especially for the motorsound ingame, so why don't you just try this before blaming on people that want to help and you don't know. And who are obviosly spending more time yet modding the game than others playing it. No offensives in that , but the truth. Ok the "sorry" came the "thanks" came, and he still writes the waste time post after over a half year. But, is that really of your business ? And a reason to give advice to "most of the sound modders on this site" like you posted ? I am sound technician so please no argueing about what i know and what i don't. Working with sounds is a huge cosmos no one will ever master to 100% . My advice for you is to come back on earth and get your nose back down from the ceiling. Bye bye

ahah you're funny, constructive comments about me in a thread that isn't mine and who concerns transitions…

I didn't insult "others" or anyone, you're quite a little slanderer. I admit that it was not very smart to say that, and I would almost feel sorry about it, but there are some degrees between flaming and insulting, you don't ignore this and it shows your will to defamate. I posted a tip here, like anyone else, and was just a bit deceived to have typed all that for someone who didn't care. Nothing more... It's not really the 1st time that it happens to me and i'm afraid it's not the last.

Now wake up... I've always introduced myself as a beginner, an amateur making low-fi sound mods, just read my posts. That doesn't sound self-important to me, and miles away from the arrogant "sound expert" haunting your confused imagination (where did I call myself a "sound expert" ffs). Also, I already posted numerous times about distortion issues etc. and discontinued like 50% of the stuff that I released because I considered those as mistakes ; so you kinda fail at p*****g me off or learning me something new, like you naively expected. Plus, your caricatural descriptions and generalities certainly don't apply to 90% of the stuff, I can name +20 sound mods without any major issue... Your subtile and delicate ears who can't stand an ounce of fuzzyness are full of it, just like the rest.

So it makes you resentful, for some reason, to see the positive feedback here and there (sometimes deserved, sometimes not), then you come bravely hidden behind a secondary identity to play the blue helmet who don't have a clue, suddenly vomiting all your frustration when you could have sparingly posted your enlightments and smileys in the concerned threads and under your real id.

Salut, i hope he got that. Au revoir.