We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The Corvette,Supercar or Supercrap?

wcumbie

I like the Vette', I don't know why people are bangin' on about plastic though. I don't think you'd notice it if you had 400+ HP and a great soundtrack. And don't all cars have plastic in them? It's just textured differently, but feels pretty much the same. Unless it's that nice soft rubber/poly type that deforms when you push it really hard. I know it's on the door panels of some Chryslers. Now that's nice plastic :). *Ok, that's enough talk of plastic* -talking to self

That depends what model. With the standard C6 Coupe, Targa, and Convertible, its definitely a sports car - but little more. It's a bargain compared to the 911 and M3, but it's simply a high-end sports car rather than a low-end supercar.

The Z06 and ZR1, however, are supercars. They're brutal, low, fast, and are made from higher quality materials.

-Leadfoot

;365191']That depends what model. With the standard C6 Coupe, Targa, and Convertible, its definitely a sports car - but little more. It's a bargain compared to the 911 and M3, but it's simply a high-end sports car rather than a low-end supercar.

The Z06 and ZR1, however, are supercars. They're brutal, low, fast, and are made from higher quality materials.

-Leadfoot

I completely agree. Although I would have one of the older Corvettes, I like the new Corvettes.

Nice opinions, I personally love all the Corvettes, and it really bugs me when people say the ZR1 and Z06 are made from cheap materials. Either they are stuck in the past or are just bagging on it, I dont know. Like for example, some can say,"Oh lets see that thing try and handle a corner vs. an Enzo!" The fact is that Ferrari used Chevy's ZR1 suspension in the Enzo and 599. The ZR1 has brakes from the Enzo and from the Porshe Carrara GT.:cool: And the "plastic" is Fiberglass. Less wieght and cost as metal, strong, and easy to repair. And also some Carbon Fiber here and there.......Cheap, more like just cheap stabs at the worlds biggest unde-dog.

that is not true the ZR1 wasn't even imagined when they built the enzo and ferrari pretty much make all their own parts and the ZR1 doesnt have the brakes from those cars it has carbon ceramic brakes like what is on the FXX not like what is on the enzo or from the enzo do a bit of research before you start saying those sort of things

I love the Corvette. For a fraction of the price of a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or other supercar, the ZR1 will thrash 'em in the 1/4 mile and around the toughest race tracks. Plus, Corvette Racing and the Corvette C6.R is epic (I even have a C6.R t-shirt :p)

It's also one of the most storied American cars, dating back almost 60 years, and has been the staple sports car of America.

But I still like the Mustang more :D

The Vetty and Viper are a bit of a Gray aera, and falls into the same line as the Nissan GT-R!

They have the power and speed of a Supercar, but theres somthing about supercars that make them special! The badge on the car can make all the diffrence as Lotus and Vauxhall showed, the Vauxhall VX200 was an Elise with a diffrent design and badge and sold for about £10K less, but the public prefered the Elise because it was a Lotus! It sounds better to say you own a Lotus rather than a Vauxhall!

The Price also can make a diffrence, a Vetty cost around £50-100K here in the UK,(there not common, but they can only be had in LHD in a RHD country), a Ferrari costs around £160K for the new 458, and around the same for the Garrado! Ok its rare over here(same for the Viper) but then again, how likly are you to see another Ferrari at the same time?

Its also how magazines show it, if your a follower of a Motoring Magazine(Evo or Car) where the drivers really know there stuff, they can make people decide as well. Last year Evo Tested the ZR1, V12 Vantage, R8 V10 and the 911 GT3 at The Ring and the surounding aera. They gave the Vetty 3.5/5 and the others all 5/5, and the ZR1 was the 2nd most expensive out of the cars!

Its a matter of facts that can make a Supercar or a Sports car! Super to me means it has somthing special to it! Where you get the ide is was loveingly put toeather in some nice place by people who care about cars and is made useing the finest things and all that!

Long and pointless i guess but i would't call it a Supercar, and to be honest i'm not the biggest fan of it! Although I do have somthing for the old Stingrays!:cool:

I went to a Porsche dealer sat in a brand new 911 then went out and sat in my charger looked at the interior and said wow not missing much.. Only European people who are used to brushed metals and velour say that it's crap. To me the corvette is one of the best supercars ever made (mainly the new ones) and it's proved that time after time. When anyone hears corvette they now what it is. If someone walked up to a random person and went mercedes cl-55 amg they'd be like oookay??

Clearly redvette77 has not seen this yet. I will await his arrival and speech.

You know me too well :)

Plastic is an widely mistaken thing about the Corvette. There is actually hardly any on it at all. But the materials themselves, while being better than plastic, are not very good, and there is no excuse for it. Just look at the interiors of GM's new products. The Buick Lacrosse, Cadillac CTS, Cadillac SRX, and even the Chevrolet Cruze have better interior quality than the Corvette, and all of them cost less. There is something wrong with that picture.

With a better interior, the Corvette would be a complete car. But as of now, it always seems as though it is missing something. A company called Carvaggio do AMAZING things with a Corvette interior. Send them any Corvette and they can set you up right. They put in proper seats, and cover everything in quality leather, from head to toe. It should leave that way from the factory though. You shouldn't have to spend 44-120k on a sports car, then go spend another 5-6k on interior upgrades.

Right now, I can think of nothing that really gives you more bang for your buck than the Corvette (or 2011 Ford Mustang). Both are very great for what they cost.

On a side note: I would really appreciate it if Chevrolet would release, at the very least, plans for the C7 Corvette before we are all dead and gone lol.