We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

My new Box

Jusmar

Ive had a hard year so Ive decided to splurge on upgrading my box.

Current:

Nvidia 9800GT

Amd Somethingorother 2.2ghz dual core

and 4gb of mem.

sadly this could not handle the pure awesomeness of TDU2 so coupled with the fact i want to splurge left me with this

SILVERSTONE Precision Series PS05-B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Tool-less Installation Design Computer Case

GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

PNY XLR8 RVCGGTX465XXB GeForce GTX 465 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model VS2GB1333D3 G X4

Western Digital Caviar Black WD2001FASS 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Comes to around 890.99 Any Tips? I compared this to the highest end dell and nothing could even compare to it in cost and power.

Do not get the GTX465, waste of money. The GTX460 1GB is much cheaper and offers roughly the same performance. It also uses less power and runs a lot cooler. It's also a lot more scalable when using SLI if you ever go down that road in the future.

Large hard drives like 2TB drives are mostly designed for storage and not for running an operating system off. As Jazzi said go for more smaller hard drives. Perhaps a 1.5TB drive for storage and a 500GB for the operating system or even a smaller SSD.

How much for the 460? the only reason i chose the 465 was that it was the cheapest higher end i could get at 165 on newegg and the lowest 460 is 169 by some no name called "sparkle" But ill have to look into the cooler thing. I currently have a 50 Gb SSD that ill probably just reuse for the os and some vital programs AVG, OS, Word, ect..

Im going to use this one for general storage and my ssd for vital stuff and via the Nvidia site the 460 and 465 are the same price at 200 but when i look at the comparison the 460 had 5x More Relative graphics than the 465 but the 465 had 10X more Compute performance. I honestly have no idea what that matters but you were right about the less power consumption

Also would I be able to SLI my 9800GT? I think my motherboard can handle it.

via the Nvidia site the 460 and 465 are the same price at 200 but when i look at the comparison the 460 had 5x More Relative graphics than the 465 but the 465 had 10X more Compute performance.

What the Heck do these mean. I'm still a novice to this :(

On, and one last thing from me. My fiancé's old GT-something-275xxx or something like that *checks card* GTX275XXX was made by Sparkle, and its one of the best 2-series graphics cards I've came into contact with.

Its now disused as he upgraded to an Asus GTX460 though.

Be wary about large hard drives. They're a lot less reliable than the smaller counterparts. If you NEED 2TB, I'd suggest either 4x 500GB's or 2x 1TBs. At least if it DOES fail, you'll still have some data, and another HDD to use.

Tis why I have 4 HDDs in my machine;

1x 64GB SSD for the OS and Photoshop

2x 500GBs for Media and Game Backups

1x 620GB for Installed Programs and Games.

At least if one of them go down, I'll have some form of backup.

• 3 weeks later...
What about the i7 920? It's got 8 cores and is incredibly quick.

Its got 4 cores and 8 threads and its max ghz is just under 3.0 GHZ and a 8mb l3 cash

the Phenom II X4 has the same amount is 3.4 ghz but has only 6 mb l3 cache.

is $100 bucks really worth the extra 2 mb cache? I could go with the 670 and get 3.5 ghz for 20 bucks more.