We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Had a Good Day? Post Your Story Here!

Ryzza5

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got to go for a spin in my dad's Fabia vRS after he put Powerflex suspension bushes on it...

...the car still handles like a friggin' boat compared to the 306 though. Accelerating on half-throttle seemed substantial enough for every day driving to me, keeping your foot to the floor gets you up to and beyond 60/70MPH from 30MPH in no time though which is very fun. Had a quick bit of fun with some guy in a Mercedes who thought he could keep up, but he just kept falling further and further back. If I was in the 306 it would have been the opposite.

Handling wise the 306 says to me "Yes, push on even more, it's no problem", when the Fabia says to me "Hmmm, not sure if want, take me back to a straight bit of road" :p

I've heard a suggestion a few times that I really should get around to trying out. Towards the end of every day think of 3 good things that happened and write them down. It starts off hard but the idea is that you eventually start to change the way you look at things and get a more positive mindset, and the task becomes easier.

Rather than finding some scrap paper to scribble on perhaps this would be a better place to try it. Are you guys interested in joining in? Would you rather use this thread for the task or start a new one and save this for exceptionally good days? I'll start tomorrow (hopefully I don't forget :lol:)

Finally made some time to get the camshaft position sensor our of my car to clean it up. Runs soooo much smoother now and no annoying misfires when idling. Pulls a lot better too. Just need to order a few new things and give it a proper full service. :)

I <3 MG Rover :lol:

He's alive. Just that makes it a good day. Breathing and living. The rest depends only on him to make anything good.

Good point, but Ry mentioned he's going to write down 3 good things every day (if he doesn't forget), not only one. Surviving on this planet is definitely only one thing. Still two left. :p

Not a bad topic to discuss, though.

Gotta think of 3 things for yesterday...

1. Fantastic weather, not too hot or cold, perfect blue skies

2. Most people took yesterday as a holiday since today is a public holiday, so the roads were quiet - so quiet that I decided to drive to a train line that I'd never used before just for a change of scenery.

3. Caught up with some friends last night, had pancakes w/ ice cream for dessert.

• 2 weeks later...

Off work this week. Got the car cleaned today, had a chill-out day yesterday.

Just started doing my online Christmas shop for this year, got six items in my basket and then the website stops responding, now I'll probably lose everything in my basket :/

Edit:

An hour later and now most of my Christmas shopping is done, might get a few little odd bits and pieces at some point later on. Ahhh, how I love internet shopping :p

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats bro

Should change your username to NotALone to celebrate :lol:

My good day today was spent learning how to ride a motorbike (in the rain, boo), pass the practical and theory tests (got 100% correct) so now I have a permit to ride on the road. Pretty much everyone in the session today were all fast learners so we finished 2 hours early. In 3 months I'll probably book another full day course and test to get my full motorbike licence since the permit expires in 15 months.

Instructor had us on the bike early on and for most of the day which was great (numb (wet) bum though). The first exercise of just riding slow had me wondering if riding was for me since I was a wobbly mess, but once we got our vision right (look into the distance where you want to go), and got into second gear and a bit of speed the bike gyroscopically stabilises and it's pretty darn easy. That said the training compound was pretty small and I don't think I ever exceeded 30kph.

Did I ever say I knew how to ride a bicycle? :lol:

:jk:

The biggest differences are:

(1) The weight. Humans are much heavier than normal bikes and can easily dictate how they balance at speed. Motorbikes are at least as heavy as you are if not 2x heavier or more. At low speeds there is no centrifugal force keeping the bike upright, so it naturally wants to fall, which has newbies wobbling all over the place until the bike speeds up.

(2) The clutch. Bike speed is easy to control with the pedals. Motorbikes on the other hand depend on how smoothly you can ride the clutch at low speed, and 1st gear is jerky just like in a car.

(3) Importance of vision placement. Newbies always look down or at the road immediately in front of them, whereas looking far into the distance is a massive help in finding balance, which is not so important on a normal bike (too young to remember when I first learnt that). My driving courses at Phillip Island and sim racing meant I was already familiar with looking around corners and relying on peripheral vision which helped. Normal bikes also don't have mirrors and dashboards that you need to glance at while concentrating on numerous other things at the same time.

I'm a bit busy now but I'll have another look at Used Motorcycle For Sale - Buy and Sell Motorcycles Australia - bikesales.com.au

- if you find anything interesting feel free to bring it to my attention in the chatbox or the other thread on this subject.