We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Had a Good Day? Post Your Story Here!

Ryzza5

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changed my track rod ends and didn't injure myself or get dirty!

Got the car tracked by a hunter laser alignment machine. All good until the mechanic told me that the lock nut that tightens up against the TRE wasn't tightening. *gulp* It just spins but not loosely. It can't be undone and it can't be tightened. Most odd. Car is fine to drive for now though and I've had 50+ miles of no issues.

If it's the steering rack threads that are buggered then I need to buy a new steering rack(£180 :() but at least I get to fix my car again. :D

Also took it out into the peak district in the snow to have some fun! It was fun! :happyroll:

Kinda. Depends if it's the thread on the rack that's knackered or just the locknut. Can't turn the locknut by hand so there is some resistance there and if it does move itself then the steering wheel will be off centred so I'll know to stop driving. It's not like the wheel will just turn itself really quickly. Need to get it sorted before the trackday though. Going around a corner at 80mph is a bit different to 30 :lol:

You can't just by part of the steering rack for this car so I'd have to replace the whole thing. But used racks are about £40 so it's not all that bad and I've looked how to change the whole rack and it's fairly simple as there's no engine to get in the way. Probably take me an hour to swap them.

• 4 months later...