We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

IGN Test Drive Unlimited 2 Preview

Eudemon

From IGN we have what is hopefully the first of many previews and showings of ingame footage that will be adorning the web in the coming weeks. In this preview we can see a few of the multiplayer challenges including what looks to be a fun mode involving speed cameras. Yeah who knew speed cameras could be fun eh? :D

Anyway check the video preview below.

Didn't TDU1 have that but you played it alone?

Yes, and no. You could play it online, it's just very few people did.

It's a shame the video was encoded so dreadfully as it really takes the shine off the game, IGN.

Looks set to be fun, kind of looking forward to it again..

While I'm here may I take the opportunity to mention that Firefox 4 Beta 8 is even more of a pile of arse than Beta 7. I actually had to quit it so I could watch the "HD" video.. it's a major hog.

Hey i dont know about you guys but this game looks like crap compared to the old one wow.......... talk about cartoonish.....The cars look like models of a cartoon series or something are you kidding me you expect me to buy this no way....... Its so sad that a game like NFS has better grafhics. That lotus looked so crappy and fake................this game will be the end of this franchise.

Hey i dont know about you guys but this game looks like crap compared to the old one wow.......... talk about cartoonish.....The cars look like models of a cartoon series or something are you kidding me you expect me to buy this no way....... Its so sad that a game like NFS has better grafhics. That lotus looked so crappy and fake................this game will be the end of this franchise.

Tbh I find the graphics good enough, but I do agree the next TD, whether it's TDU3 or a brand new TD, it will need truely up-to-date graphics or it won't be able to compete, no matter how much gameplay content etc they put in.

They keep reusing the old bits.

That's exactly what I was thinking throughout the whole trailer. Actually I agree with you only when it's nighttime. The sky looks so fake to me.

And look at the way the cars turn. They just jerk left. They don't turn gracefully into a corner like they did in TDU. Driving in TDU2 with a keyboard looks like it'll be horrible. Back in TDU1, when you tapped the right key, the driver would slowly turn the wheel to the right, but here, if you tap right, it seems like the car spazzes out and the whole thing jumps to the right. At 1:31, if you watch the white Golf, the driver keeps steering left and right. The response is so much quicker and unrealistic compared to TDU1, where you actually turn; you don't snap to a different direction. Or maybe the driver's using a wheel or a pad and throwing his arms everywhere.

With people moning about the physics, For all we know the car could handle that well!

For example, I Drive my Dad's Ford Mondeo, but when he let my drive our MR2(a Mk1, with Lotus-like Handling) It felt compleatly diffrent! The car was Much more responsive and quicker as well on the road than all the other cars i've driven(Admittidly all FWD, and one Van). And that was on the same bit of road(A nice challenging, twisty road)

How many people who own a Zonda throw it about the place like we will on TDU2? Or enter corners at a speed we know is way too optamistic?

I'm not expecting the handling on this to be like Gran Turismo, but i'm guessing it'll be much more realistic than alot of games!

I know thats all offtopic, but i though I'd just say that! As How many of us have driven any of the cars that are in TDU or TDU2? And if you have did you throw it around like you will in TDU?

With people moning about the physics, For all we know the car could handle that well!

For example, I Drive my Dad's Ford Mondeo, but when he let my drive our MR2(a Mk1, with Lotus-like Handling) It felt compleatly diffrent! The car was Much more responsive and quicker as well on the road than all the other cars i've driven(Admittidly all FWD, and one Van). And that was on the same bit of road(A nice challenging, twisty road)

How many people who own a Zonda throw it about the place like we will on TDU2? Or enter corners at a speed we know is way too optamistic?

I'm not expecting the handling on this to be like Gran Turismo, but i'm guessing it'll be much more realistic than alot of games!

I know thats all offtopic, but i though I'd just say that! As How many of us have driven any of the cars that are in TDU or TDU2? And if you have did you throw it around like you will in TDU?

Very accurate points, and I having recently experienced real-life driving, I understand that the limits of even normal cars extend beyond the limits that they have in simulations like the Simbin GTR series, but all I'm asking for (and others, too, I'm sure) is to make it like TDU, which was a perfect balance of sim and arcade.

The problem with TDU2 is that the handling doesn't change as speed progresses. TDU was great because you could drive the island for two hours straight driving at normal speeds and it would feel fun, and like driving. And then you could drive around the island at Gumball 3000-speeds, and it would be completely different - and just as fun.

What I'm worried about with TDU2 is that the identity of cars (FWD hot hatches, heavy rear-wheel-drive sedans, raw stripped-down racers, lightweight/low-power sports cars, etc.) and speeds (low-speed cruising, high-speed cruising, relaxed mountain runs, bilsteringly-fast hillclimbs, etc.) will be lost, and every form of driving will be one boring mesh of the exact same feeling.

-Leadfoot

Hey I see ur point but this is not a matter of reality any more. U know we used to have some cruises together and remember what we used to do on winding parts of the route? We loved casual drifting. Now, with this handle model, any kind of drifting is completely impossible.

In a word, all fun has gone. The fun of trying to stay on the road, to calm the rear end down, to catch the last grip in the corner.

Now, driving looks like this: Grip, more grip, even more grip and suddenly everything goes to hell and there's no way u can save ur car from spinning. No fun at all. Hope they tweaked that meanwhile.

;382215']

The problem with TDU2 is that the handling doesn't change as speed progresses. TDU was great because you could drive the island for two hours straight driving at normal speeds and it would feel fun, and like driving. And then you could drive around the island at Gumball 3000-speeds, and it would be completely different - and just as fun.

What I'm worried about with TDU2 is that the identity of cars (FWD hot hatches, heavy rear-wheel-drive sedans, raw stripped-down racers, lightweight/low-power sports cars, etc.) and speeds (low-speed cruising, high-speed cruising, relaxed mountain runs, bilsteringly-fast hillclimbs, etc.) will be lost, and every form of driving will be one boring mesh of the exact same feeling.

Hey I see ur point but this is not a matter of reality any more. U know we used to have some cruises together and remember what we used to do on winding parts of the route? We loved casual drifting. Now, with this handle model, any kind of drifting is completely impossible.

In a word, all fun has gone. The fun of trying to stay on the road, to calm the rear end down, to catch the last grip in the corner.

Now, driving looks like this: Grip, more grip, even more grip and suddenly everything goes to hell and there's no way u can save ur car from spinning. No fun at all. Hope they tweaked that meanwhile.

I see where yous are both comming from, and It reminds me of 'Race Driver: GRiD', where you could still throw the cars about in a strate line just by just moving left then right quickly! I'm sure That the physics will be much better than GRiDs(you could really tell they had moved to arcade compaired to the last games by Codies). But Hopefully all the videos have been played on Normal or 'Arcade' settings(whatever you want to call them) and hopefully the Hardcore mode will be back, and better!

I rember the Cruzing we did on TDU, everyone could Drift well on the corners and i could't(Keyboard user at the time) and i would use normal mode as i haddent unlocked HC, I wish i could still play it. There was a Big diffrence in the way the car handled if i rember(havent played TDU on the PC in too long due to it beeing packed and still) between the two modes, so like i said, i'm just hoping there is two diffrent driving modes! And who knows, hopefully it'll be around to start with and not having to be unlocked!