We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Tip - Uninstalling TDU completely

Sunlis

To wipe TDU completely you must:

• Uninstall the game via Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs (XP), Control Panel > Programs and Features (Vista) or Control Panel > Uninstall a program (7) or Settings > Apps > Installed apps (11)
    [Note: Test Drive Unlimited may not appear in the Control Panel if you are trying to remove an illegal version of the game, which you shouldn't have in the first place]
  • Clear the folder you have the main TDU files in (default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Atari\Test Drive Unlimited (The '(x86)' part is only applicable if you are running 64-bit Windows)
  • Delete (or rename/backup) your C:\Users\YOU\Documents\Test Drive Unlimited\ folder
  • Delete (or rename/backup) C:\ProgramData\Test Drive Unlimited\ (This folder contains your serial keys for the game and car-pack)
  • Delete any remaining registry keys for TDU located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Atari\TDU (The 'Wow6432Node' part is only applicable if you are running 64-bit Windows)

ProgramData - This folder is hidden. (Instructions for showing hidden files/folders on Windows: XP, Vista, 7)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - This refers to editing registers on your machine. Be careful, editing registers is very dangerous especially if you don't know what you're doing.

To edit registers on Windows:

(XP) Go to Start > Run, enter "regedit.exe"

(Vista) Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run, enter "regedit.exe"

(7) Press Windows key and R, enter "regedit.exe"

lol.

But this is actually pretty useful, because most people I know including myself who play tdu, tried the game first. Although I did get through this without much hassle, all 'sunlis' is trying to do is help, doesn't matter if not much people are having problems with it.

I appreciate the edit of my post to add some more information, but the item that was added to the start of the list is wrong. Since pirated versions don't use an installer, the game doesn't show up in the "Remove Programs" section of the control panel.

That's the whole point of this thread - Uninstalling without an uninstaller.

Also, a proper uninstaller should remove all of that data, otherwise the leftover files just clog up the user's harddrive if they uninstall. If you can remove it via the control panel, are any of the other steps necessary at all?

• 8 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...