We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Import TDU1 cars into TDU2 ?

Methoddan

Hi,

I just got TDU2 and so far have mixed views on it. I'm not here to write a review, but I'll sum it up by saying that I found that a lot of the things I didn't like in the first game have been greatly improved upon... whilst a lot of things I loved in the first game have been changed for the worse.

One thing I'm disappointed in is the car selection. And that's the one of the biggest parts of the game's appeal.

I was surprised to see that there are just over 100 cars in this game, as it feels that there are only a fraction of what was in the first game.

I understand that they had licensing issues with lamborghini, so that explains that... and potentially some other cars - but what about the companies they didn't have issues with ?

The first game had 3 TVRs, this one only has 1. Where did the lotus elise and exige go? What about the mclaren F1? What about the countless other cars that were in the first game, but for some reason aren't in this one, despite the car make being present ?

I can understand licensing issues - but where there are none I see no logic in this move. Sure, they've given us some new cars that weren't in the first game... but it feels like they've taken away much more.

Cut a long story short; anybody who finds a way to import cars from the first game into the second (on PC of course) is my god.

I also understand that they have a new physics engine - if the first game's car physics are incompatible with the new game's ones, there's surely a way to make the car from the first game use the physics from a different car in the second ? (ex. TVR Tuscan from first game could easily get away with Sagaris physics from the second)

I'm really hoping somebody can find a way to do this... I'm so certain it must be possible, and fairly easy if you know what to look for and what to change.

- Dan

The physic are actually a separate issue. In TDU1, cars could be imported if they were prepped properly, meaning even cars from consoles showed up. Prepping them for TDU2 is certainly possible. :) However, like TDU1, the number of cars is limited. There's probably a few open spaces for cars Atari/Eden KNEW would be DLC, but I don't think the modders are that keen to start going at TDU2 quite yet.

Remember, TDU1 modding was started THREE YEARS after the game's release. Also (partly for this reason), modding TDU2 is not all that welcome on this forum (aside from small tweaks that improve gameplay), because it ultimately kills the game for the developer. :(

-Leadfoot

;395704']The physic are actually a separate issue. In TDU1, cars could be imported if they were prepped properly, meaning even cars from consoles showed up. Prepping them for TDU2 is certainly possible. :) However, like TDU1, the number of cars is limited. There's probably a few open spaces for cars Atari/Eden KNEW would be DLC, but I don't think the modders are that keen to start going at TDU2 quite yet.

Remember, TDU1 modding was started THREE YEARS after the game's release. Also (partly for this reason), modding TDU2 is not all that welcome on this forum (aside from small tweaks that improve gameplay), because it ultimately kills the game for the developer. :(

-Leadfoot

Hmm... didn't think of that... maybe *they* should have thought of that when deciding to limit the amount of cars and cut so many out...

- Dan

Hmm... didn't think of that... maybe *they* should have thought of that when deciding to limit the amount of cars and cut so many out...

- Dan

I imagine licensing got much more expensive for the cars (and because they can't "officially" support modding, they wouldn't include more slots than necessary), as well as the costs of outsourcing models, which would explain a decrease in cars. But losing 40 cars from the first game to the sequel? :oook: I think we have a right to be frustrated with them for that.

-Leadfoot

While you may not see a licensing issue on the surface, there still could be one or more reasons why specific cars don't appear in specific games.

You've got to remember what's been happening in the car industry and with the world economy since TDU1 was made. There's been a ton of company buyouts and corporate restructuring since then, and there's also been a ton of "exclusive" licenses given to other game creators, most notably Polyphony Digital and Gran Turismo 5. Sony is infamous for paying out ridiculous sums of money for exclusive licenses, and Sony owns PD.

The world economy being in the tank is a HUGE factor on how many cars can be licensed for any one game. If a developer only has so much money to devote to licensing, it's going to limit how many cars get licensed.

There's also the unspoken issue of certain car makers not wanting their car(s) to be seen in an "unfavorable light" against the rest of the market. Ferrari is notorious for this and was the main reason for their cars not appearing in many racing games over the years unless the Ferraris were made the best cars in the game.

There's also another issue, visible car damage. If TDU2 has visible damage, that will instantly put off many car makers because again, they don't want their cars to be seen in an "unfavorable light". If their car is too easily damaged in a game, it can effect sales of the real cars.

And finally, one final thing......the continued nickel and diming of the average gamer to pay for DLC, DownLoadable Content. If they only came out with so many cars at first, then they fully intend on charging $5 or $10 per car for future DLC addons. So basically by the time you're done buying all the cars they intend on releasing for the game, you've paid out 4 or 5 times what the original price of the game was. That means a $60 game actually ended up costing you $250 or more......

i donyunderstand why there are no lamborghinis, i know they had licence problems but surely they could just us the licence from TDU1. They might not be allowed to do that, im not sure. though over all of this there one problem that i have that you all dont. IT DOSENT WORK!!! i had pre-ordered it, it arrived on the 11/02/11 and still dosent work!!! I NEED MEMORY SPACE!!! :-(

i donyunderstand why there are no lamborghinis, i know they had licence problems but surely they could just us the licence from TDU1.

They would get sued into oblivion if they tried that, licenses only work for the specific game they were purchased for and that's it.

As it is they had to wait for Rage's 3 year license with Lambo to expire before they could start making TDU-1.

It's also possible that Forza 3 might have the exclusive Lambo license right now.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...