We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Minecraft!

ZacDaMan72

Play here!

If you can really bother read this stuff then LETSSS GAO!!!!

Minecraft is a game about placing blocks to build anything you can imagine. At night monsters come out, make sure to build a shelter before that happens.

Minecraft is a sandbox-style building game with a variety of rather large blocks representing materials in the world’s environment. (Yes, its graphics are about on par with Doom; if you can’t look past that you might as well stop reading now.) Every map is procedurally generated with grassy plains, forested hills, sandy beaches, towering mountains, and most interestingly, sprawling networks of underground tunnels and caves. There is no real point of the game but to explore and build to your heart’s content. That, however, is where the similarities between the free and pay versions of the game end.

Classic mode (the free one) is purely a no-holds-barred virtual sandbox. You have access to unlimited materials of every type for building and you can destroy existing blocks instantly by bashing them with whatever you’re holding. Every map is randomly generated when you start playing, so if you don’t like what you see, it’s easy to start again with something fresh. Most people start wandering around, maybe building a castle or tower or something, but I’ve seen lots of art making creative use of the range of colors available.

This is the most fun I've had playing a game all year, hands down. It rewards every creative impulse, and these impulses are now structured. A crafting system has been introduced, instead of just placing blocks as you will, there is a resource hierarchy with its attendant, diminishing fractals of probable availability. For example, wood and stone are plentiful, with the prior you can make a wood pick to harvest the latter, then you can start building all kinds of tools and a home. You'll need to the stone pick to harvest coal, fairly abundant if you dig 10-20 blocks down, and iron, which is harder to come by. A stone smelter with some coal will allow you to refine that iron into pure bars. With an iron pick you'll be able to harvest the occasional gold ore, which really is pretty useless other than as a monetary instrument (as of this version central banking has not yet been simulated) as well as slightly more common bloodstone that you can use for setting up wire-systems capable of rigging mine cart tracks or calculators, and diamonds which make for the best gear.

The game has a tremendous amount of potential for new objects, more focused macro-objectives, social features, and most of all: whatnot. But as it is, it's a great value, especially for those who relish the petty joys of manipulating ambient systems and trying your luck for novelty, digging through aimless stone until you stumble onto an underground river-vein, all procedurally generated, and fight your way through it, digging a short-cut back to the surface, and maybe building some kind of landmark to offer reference on the return. The kid in you will learn engineering again, and if that doesn't make sense then you haven't been playing much.

To give some constraint, you have health and every several minutes night will fall and unleash undead who plague the land, giving a bright engineering fantasy a nice compliment of survival horror ala LEGO. Somehow, ugly, blocky zombies scared me more than normal mapped ones in Resident Evil perhaps because using a door to make myself safe involved two cumbersome clicks with a move-and-turn in the middle, instead of a single button-press. There's a combination of chill and chill that you may experience as you look down from your lofty castle and see fields full of shambling undead, so distant, enveloped in the mists, safely away from you, insulated by some manifestation of your will and design. Then when day-breaks you'll begin again; what at first is a desperate venture toward survival becomes a triumphant cycle of mastery, after all, you've got access to your own private mine built into your house, and you may be tempted to build a tower to heaven as well. These vertical pursuits will keep you busy at night until you forgot about the whole evil-curse dynamic, save for the moaning sound effects you hear toward the surface.

Not surprisingly, the sheer torque of possible agency in this game has translated into tremendous sales success. For having the audacity to charge 10 Euros, the game's creator has single-handedly amassed over 6 million dollars in revenues that he's reinvesting a bit of into a new game studio, which will support this game and a new one. Your purchase acts as a sort of investment in this company, as you'll get free updates on all future versions of the game. As far as I'm concerned, this is game of the year 2010.

In my first game I made a petty house and then decided to dig straight into the earth, stumbling onto a deep cave. The cave had a monster spawner, after many respawns I managed to destroy it, finding some diamond and gold. But woe, I dug some more and lost it all to the lava. My second game had a more hilly environment, I picked the biggest one and built a little fort on top, dug myself a garbage chute in the corner with an exit out the side of the mountain, and then built stairs around this chute that lead to a branching mine. Then I built a spiral stair to the highest level that you can build on, and started building a sky-path over the map, risking death with each edge-strafe to place another row of stone plates, before realizing that I was wasting my time (it took me that long). My third game was more of a land-o-lakes, where I built a multi-basement home into a steep cliff on some water-front property; I placed soil on the roof of my little workshop and then built a path out to a tree growing off the edge of the cliff, I then built a multi-story house on top of that tree with another roof-top path back to the newly grow trees off the roof of the original structure, upon which I built my master bedroom. Below my third basement, with another door leading out to a private marina where I kept my boat, I started mining, which is another enterprise in itself.

If you want to play it you have to pay. Or play the classic version.

MC_Large.png

• 2 weeks later...

Used to play the free version in college instead of doing assignments, it was more than good enough at passing a boring day/few months (:p) at college.

Bought the paid-for version in September and seeing as I'd just lost my job I was looking for something to do besides play Counter Strike and I wouldn't be suprised if I spent 11 hours a day on it. It seriously screwed up how I went to sleep for a while because every time I closed my eyes I'd start thinking of new things to build and how to build them so it kept me awake even if I wasn't on it.

If you can find a server hosted by some forums it'll be much better as you can create a whitelist where only authorised people can join the server meaning there's less chance of your creations getting griefed which is a large problem in the free version if you try and build anything in multiplayer. I went on the Overclockers UK server and built quite a lot but the admin kept asking people if they wanted to start a new map and they did it without warning quite a lot so I gave up playing it. I haven't been on Minecraft in a few months now I think.

It's still well worth the price they're asking for it though.

Much like GTA Ialso spent many boring hours building in minecraft and also like GTA I also end up thinking about minecraft ALL DAY LONG.... In the shower, in Math Class, in bed, Having sex. About Minecraft and how to build things and what to build. Damn I love this game..

The way many people tell potential new users to look at it is as Lego, but in virtual form with many more possibilities and you don't need to keep paying for new boxes of bricks to make a house or something like you would with real Lego. On top of that you get zombies and stuff (which I personally hate with a passion) which will try and blow up anything you've built or attack you at night so you need to create defenses against them as well as building the weird and wild things that you want.

Graphics aren't the be-all and end-all to me. It's the games own personal style which I think it's pulled off quite well, if it had proper graphics like the latest games then I don't think it would seem right. But if anyone else is like me you will start seeing blocks moving around and forming things when you close your eyes to go to sleep at night so I wouldn't recommend playing it for long periods of time, lol.

The way many people tell potential new users to look at it is as Lego, but in virtual form with many more possibilities and you don't need to keep paying for new boxes of bricks to make a house or something like you would with real Lego. On top of that you get zombies and stuff (which I personally hate with a passion) which will try and blow up anything you've built or attack you at night so you need to create defenses against them as well as building the weird and wild things that you want.

Put the Difficulty on Peaceful and all that goes away. Again im like you that in I hate the mobs because I just built something then a creeper comes and blows it up. With Peaceful there are no mobs and you get ALOT! more health and it regenerates almost instantly. It also spawns Resources more often. On normal or hard I could never find iron. But on Peaceful it was basically everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...