We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Shift 2 Unleashed

Ryzza5

A few of us have this game and a few more are interested in it from what I can gather - so a discussion thread seems like a good idea.

Shift 2 is more evolution than revolution, as you might've expected. Pretty much all the tracks from Shift 1 are in Shift 2 (as far as i can remember), as well as new tracks, FIA GT1 season tracks, including multiple layouts.

If you've played NFS Undercover, World Online, Shift 1, and/or Hot Pursuit 2010, you'll get VIP rewards (cash, XP, and/or cars).

The big topic atm is handling/physics and wheel setup. You can tell when playing that EA stepped back a bit more this time to let SMS do their thing. The first race in your career forces you to use a casual handling mode, so don't use that for first impressions - just get any type of pass (Bronze will do), finish the race afterwards, then head back to the Main Menu - Options to switch back to Elite and make other adjustments.

Overall, the physics are better than Shift 1, which in a way felt like you were racing on loose gravel (the way you could take corners at speed and easily slide precisely without loosing that much traction).

Shift 2 almost goes too far in the other direction, the front of the car often feels 'airy' (floating). The steering sometimes lags a bit, and if you start to lose control on anything but ideal, smooth road conditions, you'll probably end up facing the wrong way after a big crash. Brakes are also quite sensitive and can really screw up your approach to a corner - so either be super careful (which usually involves braking early and not placing well), or dial down the Brake Sensitivity.

Someone's released a mod to deal with the input lag and floaty feeling, which I've tried out tonight and recommend, so grab that from here.

Helmet cam :new: annoys me personally, as I've experienced (and much prefer) TrackIR. I'd rather look where I want rather than be glued to the apex of a corner, or rather, the A pillar of my car. You also have noral cockpit view like Shift 1 so that's fine. I'm half expecting a TrackIR mod to be released within weeks.

Night racing :new: - Really good.

Support for wheels - as far as the menu's go - it all looks good. They don't even bother asking me to map the controls for Gear 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and R as it knows that straight away. I overwite the rest of the controls to make sure everything is to my liking. The one thing that annoys me the most is that you have to choose 'Automatic Clutch' via the Main Menu - Options. It would be much better if you could change this via the Pause menu mid race. Slower cars with H pattern gearboxes are more immersive with the clutch, whereas fast supercars are easier to use with the paddels (where you don't want to have to use the clutch pedal).

Career - so far, so good - haven't progressed that far yet (Level 13), but nothing extraordinary to report. You have unlimited Garage spots to purchase all cars multiple times if you want.

Wheel settings - after a lot of tweaking and testing - this seems to be as good as I've gotten so far. I'll probably reduce the wheel rotation degrees further, as I tend to understeer due to not turning the wheel enough. Remember to install that handling mod (and backup the files it replaces).

S2U.png.jpg

I've changed rotation to 360 degrees now, very happy with the handling now.

shift2u%202011-04-05%2021-34-09-02.png.jpg

For those who haven't seen it, here's a video I recorded:

If you have questions, screenshots, videos, settings, etc - post 'em here. :)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried it, loved it. Unfortunately don't have as much time to waste on it as I'd like. Although it's short for a wow factor its predecessor had, still pretty much a decent sequent.

I'm waiting for some Ati miracle performance patch so I could put some serious effort in this game.

question: is it possible to have multiply game profiles with the same EA ID? Can't find it.

After some work can get this to run smoothly maxed fully out.

Using the controller setup ryzza has posted with the minimod and seems to all be fine now with some tweaks here and there.

Can't see how people say its the same as shift 1 as there are quite a few different tracks and cars. Career mode is structured differently too.

Videos comming tomorrow!

Yeah - they are pretty ruthless (guess it's revenge for all the past NFS games where we let em have it) :p

I did find however that changing the Difficulty from Hard to Medium made the AI more aware of where you were going and would give you a bit more space, while remaining pretty competitive still. Maybe give it a go.

That Legends pack looks great - I will be super upset if we don't get it on PC. The drag races don't appeal to me that much.

Yeah - they are pretty ruthless (guess it's revenge for all the past NFS games where we let em have it) :p

I did find however that changing the Difficulty from Hard to Medium made the AI more aware of where you were going and would give you a bit more space, while remaining pretty competitive still. Maybe give it a go.

That Legends pack looks great - I will be super upset if we don't get it on PC. The drag races don't appeal to me that much.

Im finding Hard are slow let alone medium =/ But yeah they have no clue of where i am or nothing im going past on the inside and they will just ram me into the barrier.

On another note:

Nice driving on that first lap, Adam. I did a quick race with one of the bonus VIP fast cars around the Riviera track and binned it pretty bad - wasn't used to the speed. So far my favourite car (now that I've sorted the settings) is the Porsche GT3 RS. Can be twitchy under braking but good fun to drive.

Nice driving on that first lap, Adam. I did a quick race with one of the bonus VIP fast cars around the Riviera track and binned it pretty bad - wasn't used to the speed. So far my favourite car (now that I've sorted the settings) is the Porsche GT3 RS. Can be twitchy under braking but good fun to drive.

Im uploading more atm of the M1 Procar & Veyron, Been trying to get one of the Pagani but the Ai keeps messing me up big time lol.

Thanks anyway.

Good game, better than the first one, BUT:

The graphics are good... when you have a good machine, they didn't optimized it very well.

Drift. The physics themselves are good, but they only count points for drift angle (like, why?), also when you have to drift for more than 3 mins, the tires are so hot, the car spins out whenever you push the gas pedal.

They are advertising themselves too much, e.g. you can't skip the intro, until all the logos appear and disappear, that's annoying.

And the instructor (formula D guy) is irritating, I liked the guy in the first one more.

Besides that, the game is very good, much better physics, more tracks, more cars, the retros and all that makes me forget about the bad stuff.

If you are not bothered reading, besides some few annoying things, game is good. IMO

I'm waiting for some Ati miracle performance patch so I could put some serious effort in this game.

Have you tried older Catalyst drivers (like way older)? I went from the newest 11.3's to 10.8's (yes August 2010 drivers :lol:), as suggested in another forum and got a 10-20 fps boost. :)

Have you tried older Catalyst drivers (like way older)? I went from the newest 11.3's to 10.8's (yes August 2010 drivers :lol:), as suggested in another forum and got a 10-20 fps boost. :)

I went up to 11.3 from an older version and it runs smoother! Just turn off AA in game and set it up in Catalyst menu's and looks the same but alot better performance! Thats what ive got running in my videos i have posted.