We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

iLLGT3 - PC - Build Log

iLLGT3

id go for that Saphhire 6790

Pretty damn good price for dat card IMHO

and 256-bit memory :o GDDR5 :o

But all that is good only if your CPU/Motherboard is compatible with that, imagine if your CPU is only compatible with DDR3 Ram, your Graphics card would be bottlenecking your computer's performance :P

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id go for that Saphhire 6790

Pretty damn good price for dat card IMHO

and 256-bit memory :o GDDR5 :o

But all that is good only if your CPU/Motherboard is compatible with that, imagine if your CPU is only compatible with DDR3 Ram, your Graphics card would be bottlenecking your computer's performance :P

Huh? GPU ram has nothing to do with system RAM. Also considering the ones I linked are pretty much the same price or cheaper and better, why would you go for the 6790?

ur right, GPU ram has nothing to do with system RAM

however if your CPU can not handle DDR5 Ram (yes i know the GPU of the card handles the ram)

The DDR5 Part will not be of any advantage, and it will bottleneck your system.

im not quite sure on how to explain this but hell do like me, i learnt this from a nerdy popular nerd show on youtube about pc's lol

What are you on about, patch? The graphics card is it's own mini computer, it has it's own RAM, processing unit, and mainboard which are designed to work optimally together when designed. The only way it interfaces with the rest of the computer is through the motherboard (and power, irrelivent in this case) - so all you have to do is make sure the motherboard has a PCIE slot with the correct speed (2.0 / 16x, etc).

Super old (8+ years) computers with a brand new graphics card are obviously pointless, but all current parts are fine in this respect now.

So the GDDR5 for the GFX card is seperate than the DDR3 memory slot described in the MSI mobo description is for DDR3 memory sticks correct? Just trying to decipher what happened above.

Why would I go with a 5850 if the 6790 seems to be a better card? I guess it's better not to pay attention to the 6790 being a higher number than 5850. (lol that's not what I've been doing but common sense would tell me that 6700 series is better than a 5800 series) ***confused***

You guys are the experts. :D

@ Patch, as Ryzza said, the graphics card is independent, if the vRAM is different than the computer's RAM there won't be any bottlenecking. ;)

...common sense would tell me that 6700 series is better than a 5800 series...

It would. But the higher number just indicates that it's a newer card. But just because it's newer doesn't mean it's faster. Just like cars, video card companies make cards that are more "mainstream" and "fast." So just because a 2011 Honda Civic is new, it doesn't mean that it's faster than a 2004 BMW M6. Same thing goes for graphics cards. An ATI 4870 would be faster than the 5750, but the 5700 series is much newer than the 4800 series.

I'd say check out the cards pyyre suggested. All of them are really good cards. I think the 5850 will be the best in your application. It's only $150, I'm considering buying one myself now lol.

Yea i know the graphics card is independent as it has its own processor, bord, memory i know, but i learnt that from a geeky bottlenecking video on a nerd youtube show and it was a popular show so i kinda believed, but then again it wont make sense, the CPU doesnt have to support GDDR5 Memory, as the graphics card has its own GPU

Yea i know the graphics card is independent as it has its own processor, bord, memory i know, but i learnt that from a geeky bottlenecking video on a nerd youtube show and it was a popular show so i kinda believed, but then again it wont make sense, the CPU doesnt have to support GDDR5 Memory, as the graphics card has its own GPU

Patch, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, so I would just stop there before you dig yourself a bigger hole. ;) :cheeky:

actually i do but my mind entered in a big conflict when i watched that video lol. you may find it on youtube if you dig up.

Because the idea i had before was: Graphics card memory type like (DDR3) is totally independent if a motherboard supports DDR3 RAM, and if the CPU supports it too.

After watching the video: Having a DDR3 memory on graphics card will have no advantage if your motherboard or cpu dont support over DDR2, but that wont make sense, tahts why the graphics card has its own processor; so my ideas are kinda confliting and id really like to be clear on which one is correct :P

CPU's don't "support" any specific type of RAM - they don't have to. The motherboard is the only thing that has to support the RAM you choose (or vice versa). The only thing to check is the Front Side Bus speed of both items, which I already talked about in my first post here, but that's for optimal performance, not compatibility.

Graphics card RAM has NOTHING to do with the other components in your PC (back in the days of AGP cards you could use the BIOS to to share RAM with the system but that's a long time ago). Not all nerds on YouTube necessarily know what they're on about (for all we know they got their info from some guy on a forum called patch) ;)

Thanks!

but about the CPU supporting thing i am not quite sure on dat

a CPU does not support all type of Bus speeds for a ram, so if you insert a DDR3 ram stick on a cpu that only supports a bus of 128mhz you will probably fry the ram or the cpu.

heres a lil proof

Does the Intel core 2 duo E8400 cpu support DDR3 memory? - Yahoo! Answers

lol xD

I have a celeron at home of more or less 467mhz, it supports SDRAM Sticks of up to 128mhz bus speed.

I have a motherboard for DDR ram at 400mhz bus speed, if i put it onto another motherboard which supports DDR2, and if i put a higher bus speed memory stick, the CPU still wont do good with it

I'd say check out the cards pyyre suggested. All of them are really good cards. I think the 5850 will be the best in your application. It's only $150, I'm considering buying one myself now lol.

Which 5850 would be better? Sapphire or XFX? lol sorry for all the questions. :cheeky:

Kinda leaning towards the XFX.

Patch - keep in mind that the E8400 is nearly 5 years old already, and your PC is much much older. We are not helping the OP to build an old computer here ;) Today's parts performance and compatability are quite a lot more, whereas back then most CPUs and mobo's did support DDR2 memory, where the popular FSB speeds were 667MHz or 800MHz. Obviously if you had those components you couldn't get brand new super-expensive DDR3 memory (wouldn't fit in the mobo), and it would've been pointless getting RAM with an FSB speed greater than your current weakest link in the FSB (667 or 800MHz).

1. Most mainstream components (at least where I am) have a similar FSB speed these days (1333MHz and up).

2. The OP is on a budget, so it's unlikely any of the parts he choses will be too fast for the rest of his NEW computer anyway. ;)

If you have more questions patch, feel free to PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

Most probably your motherboard will have onboard Lan Card so ethernet ports will most probably come onboard

But in the rare case that its not onboard, a cheap PCI Ethernet card should do the trick.

USB ports are onboard though!

And Ryzza

actually my CPU's FSB is not thaaaat bad...

its actually much worse^^

533 MHz FSB Speed :P

Alright cool.

Also, the price of the barebones kit I have choosen went up. I've been thinking of going with an i3 instead of the i5 just to keep cost down for now. Will an i3 be alright for the time being while I save a bit to go with an i5?