We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

iLLGT3 - PC - Build Log

iLLGT3

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparantly each of the new ones has a identical twin that has a 'K' in it which can be overclocked, whereas the others can't. Just when you thought there weren't enough CPUs to choose from. :rolleyes:

The non-K one's can be overclocked, it's just very limited (i5-2500 for example can be only OC'd to 3.8 GHz with all 4 cores active).

Edit: Reading around, it seems you can't even overclock with a H61 motherboard.

My choosen mobo has PCI express X1 and X16 slots.. Can I use a GFX card that has express 2.1 X16?

Seems like it would work and this is probably a stupid question but I just want to make sure.

And if I decide to go with another mobo down the line (which I probably will,) do I just swap it out with the current one and boot it up?

The one I have absolutely sucks. One PCI port and I'd like to have an optical port so I can use the full potential from my headphones.

My choosen mobo has PCI express X1 and X16 slots.. Can I use a GFX card that has express 2.1 X16?

Seems like it would work and this is probably a stupid question but I just want to make sure.

And if I decide to go with another mobo down the line (which I probably will,) do I just swap it out with the current one and boot it up?

The one I have absolutely sucks. One PCI port and I'd like to have an optical port so I can use the full potential from my headphones.

Yes a PCI-E 2.1 car will work on it.

About the card, if the 6850 is cheaper then go with it, otherwise I'd recommend the 5850 as it's sligthly better (For some reason Tigerdirect's site doesn't work for me anymore, so can't check prices. :confused:)

When changing motherboard usually the best thing to do would be reinstalling Windows. Swapping a mobo without reinstalling can screw things up (before my current rig I just swapped it without reinstalling Windows, took me 1-2 days to get it sorted).

I've narrowed down my choices..

Sapphire 5850 - $159.99

XFX 5850 - 189.99 kinda high, probably won't go with this one..

Sapphire 6850 - $169.99 free shipping

XFX 6850 - $179.99 $159.99 w/rebate

I'm pretty sure the Sapphire 5850 is what I'm going to get. I would like to have 2 DVI ports but I don't really need them. Don't plan on using 2 monitors often but whatevzzzz

^^ hahaha.

I'll go with nVidia one day. I've always used ATi and never had problems. Don't have anything against nVidia..

EDIT: I'm going with the XFX 6850 from Tiger Direct. For some reason, I can't seem to find out how to do two different payment options (gift card and credit card...) :(

That's not bad, but I found a modular 700W OZC power supply for $70 here. A modular power supply is better because it doesn't have a whole bunch of wires comming out of the back. It comes with wires that attach to the PSU on one end and attach to your motherboard, HDDs, video cards, etc. on the other end. This keeps the inside of your computer neater and is better for airflow. And better airflow means a coolr computer. ;)