We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Need For Speed: The Run

Revan174

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been iffy on getting this, probs going to get given it at Xmas(Parents seem to know if I dont have a NFS game, not sure if good or bad)

Was tempted for it on the 360, BUT I read on wikipeadia that the PS3 is getting 7 exclusive cars, and there actually looking good:

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport, Hennessey Venom GT, Gumpert Apollo Sports, Lamborghini Countach QV5000, Koenigsegg Agera R, Lexus LF-A and Porsche Carrera GT.

Did some looking up and found that its true! Very Surprised that Sony have actually gone to get exclusive stuff, and its care people would actually want!

So its a PS3 buy for me!:D

Thought i'd share the good/bad* news!

*Remove depending on what your buying on

I played the demo the other night. Terrible handling :(

Thats what i have been thinking!

Also seen that when turning, the driver dosn't have there hands! Also I can't see all the fuss about the 'Frostbite 2' engine, on my TV NFS:HP is much better graphics wise!(thats the PS3 & 360 Demo) For a game they've been working on for 2 Years, it doesn't show!

Think its safe to say, the guys at Criterion Games set the bar high for the NFS series! Just a shame its a yearly game NFS, or I think we would of seen Burnout Paradise levels up updates!

That being said, I'll be getting the game even if I don't buy it!

Same crap as Hot Pursuit, it's getting pathetic -.-

I resent this. Hot Pursuit embodies what NFS is all about paradox. HP was the BEST NFS made since NFS HP 2 - which was about 10 years ago...

I think Criterion should make ALL NFS games from here on out, Black Box was great before EA consumed them - I think more games like HP is what NFS needs to get back to it's roots.

A few days ago I switched my pre-order from Xbox to PS3 for the exclsive cars, plus I will get the limited edition. Looks like fun too me! I am still playing NFS-Hot Pursuit 2010 since day one. After they super-hyped the marketing for HP 2010 and I attended the demo party here in Texas I was hooked. Waited 5 & 1/2 months for the game to be released.

Even back dated my Xbox so I could continue to play the demo until release day.

I am looking forward to 'The Run' with almost as much excitment. I say almost because HP 2010 was a game I thought they would NEVER make so I was really pumped for it, being that Hot Pursuit 2 on the PS2 was my all time favorite game until the new one came along.

Back on topic: I think some fun could be had with 'The Run'. No it's not going to be HP 2010 graphic wise or physic wise. I have been all over the web and on some NFS forums and I see complaint, after complaint about the physics of HP 2010. Then the other side of it complaints about the physics of 'The Run'.

I wish someone would make up their mind. I know EA/Dice/Frostbite 2 are purposely going for totally different physics in the game. I like the driving physic so far. I get what they are after, I get it. Unfortunately most don't. You can't make everyone happy.

I am out for fun, racing, going fast, and shunting and smashing other cars if that's what is called for.

I have both conoles, PS3,Xbox along with a gaming PC so I can choose how I want to play a game if those options are there.

So I get what EA is trying to do and I like what I see so far. Will I change my tune once I actually play the entire game? Good question will see.

Engine sounds seem to be on track with what little we have to go on. The graphics are not on par with BF3 but I believe there are several reasons for that.

A web sight has reviewed the complete career mode stating it is 5 to 8 hours without any races repeated. More than 10 hours spent on the career mode on 'Extreme' with repeating many races sometimes up to 10 times. Half of the challenge series was done and they estimate another 15 hours there.

So it seems to be a relative short game, but no different than 'Carbon' it was short too.

My November vacation time is dedicated for playing this game,with the surround sound system cranked, all the lights out, and maybe, just maybe if it's cold enough a

roaring fire in the fireplace to with it all.

So too bad some will not be having fun with it, I know I will be.

In NFS2 you could choose what type of physics you wanted. In Shift and other sims you can play with varying levels of assists/difficulty. Would be nice if the other games offered something similar. Doesn't have to be a sim of course, it just has to feel like I'm driving a car instead of a pod-racer :p

@Madpioneer, I think that its not a case of people not getting it, its people not liking the direction. Me being one of them. I wont buy it, unless i hear some great reviews, and I wont buy it for a while either way. I want racing games. Not crash derby's in the city, being shot at by helicopters, then quicktime events running on buildings- that shouldnt even have an NFS logo, its more like a James Bond movie. So yes. I get it, they want an action game. Im torn- I do think its a good idea, but just not as NFS, because that is not what NFS is about, and I know lots of fans dont want it to go that way. EA sells so many god damn copies of these games its like COD now, they have no feedback on whether people like it or not, they just judge by the gazillion copies sold and figure theyre doing it right. Theyre just very good at building hype, and have a great marketing team.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a shame the people who make the game aren't as good as the people who make the hype for the game :p

If I'm honest some of the visuals looked good, sounds are always good, but I'm not getting this because I know gameplay will be ultimately flawed.

@_Pr0ph3cy_ Yeah I understand people and NFS fans not liking the direction they are going. It's kinda far removed from the past in many ways. Shift to me should have not included the NFS logo at all. I think it could have stood on it's own for what it is. I think EA needed a new NFS for the series to continue and Shift was the only thing in the works at the time.

From all the complaints and requests I have seen all over the web here is my take on it all.

I think most want an open world race game where the rules and choices are in the players hands to a point. Mutliplayer maps where one can drive around to see and discover the sites and at the same time run into other players and challenge them to a race/drift/follow the leader whatever. Or choose not too! Some want cops around to chase them if they drive like a maniac, some don't want the cops or the choice to have or not. Tuners with endless customization and performance upgrades. More realistic driving physics.

and so on...... I thought that 'NFS World' addresses most of this but I guess it's not good enough and they want EA to release a disc game of 'Underground/Most Wanted' on steroids.

I get what alot of Underground & Most Wanted fans are asking for, but I seriously doubt it will go completely in that direction. But I could be deadly wrong too! As HP 2010 came out and a friend and I lamented for many years how cool it would be for EA to do a HP remake for the newer consoles. We always laughed and said it would never happen.

Who knows what's next for the series? I have no idea what will come out next. I would like to see what Criterion might offer again though. I am sure not within 4 months of The Run's release they will announce the new NFS!!

• 3 weeks later...