We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Djey : TDU Modding Tools II [Release 2.1.0.0]

Djey

like everyone said,i lost my faith on atari/eden when they said that they don't have a date to release a proper wheel/clutch support and i'm looking foward to the new possibilities with the new dummies on tdu2,movin spoilers,working sunroofs,etc

and also with the new way the wheels are,with the tires within it :D

good luck djey

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Nascarbuc, but then again, I don't.

There has been news of a new patch coming s**n, which claims a few fixes and new features. Bikes are "confirmed" to come to the game, but we don't know how long it will take. I bet Eden don't even know. On the other hand, more than half a year has passed since TDU2 came out. What has happened? One new PC and 360 patch, while the PS3 still didn't get anything yet. They had the nerve to release this game before it was even complete. Here we are, 7 months later and it feels as if they are reluctant to even set foot outside to go to work.

I'm kind of on both sides here. Unless you can make this mod tool work with future patches, etc., I think you should hold off a bit. Then again, the boiling rage-filled side of me wants you to release this ASAP.

@iLLusion

TDU 2 is a major disappointment and an insult to TDU 1 fans. From what I gather Atari wanted a pure arcade fun game while Eden wanted to stay as close to TDU 1 as possible and pushed back against the publisher's vision. This game is the result of two conflicting visions, poor executive decisions, budget cuts that have forced the departure of essential talent while preventing the recruitment of fresh talent for many years. The game failed to attract a large enough number of casual players and it alienated the loyal hardcore crowd. Dude... I can't play the game without cursing them, and the cam hack that enables seat adjustment and TrackIR support is the only reason I didn't uninstall that mess soon after release. The reason I still play it today is because hackers found a way to decrypt cpr files, allowing me to tinker with the weather, time cycle and AI drivers. Otherwise I'd stick with games with a much better driving model like... Crash Time 4. So don't think for a second that I'm against modding and hacking.

But here's the thing. We aren't privy to what's going on at Atari and Eden. The only things that are currently known are:

- On release day, TDU 2 producer Olivier Raffard informs a local website of Eden's plans to release hardcore mode after release, as DLC. Explains Eden's understanding that while they need to make the game accessible to a large number of players they also understand that they will need to push content that satisfies the loyal, hardcore players in the long run.

- Launch is a disaster, bringing Atari to slash Eden's workforce down to 30 employees.

- Eden management, in a Q&A with Gamasutra, explain that they are in a conflict with Atari over severance pay for fired employees, but they also ask for TDU 2's sales figures because they believe the game can be a strong seller in the long run. What does that tell us? That Atari wanted to pull the plug and Eden managed to convince them to keep the game afloat. No need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out.

- With only 30 employees left, and another project in the works, things can't happen overnight. It took them long enough to release DLC 1.

- DLC will include bikes and auction centers among other, currently unknown things. I don't care about either but what that tells me is that their priority is to bring back major TDU 1 features.

This is the situation as of today: we don't know what's what. We can only speculate. As I'm typing this, Atari's stock is taking a beating like it has for weeks now. The company's ability to keep operating could be in question in a matter of weeks. Rumors of a takeover have become more persitent, so a new owner could be announced tomorrow morning and Eden's shutdown the next day. But, I can't help but think that they have spent years on this game and even though they were down to just 30 guys they still believe in the title and want to improve it. Again, things won't happen overnight, if they even happen at all. In spite of all the rage a lot of us feel, me included, I think they should get a chance to redeem themselves. There is a possibility they care about the game and are working hard with limited resources to improve it so we shouldn't be trying to sabotage their effort. If I'm wrong and they prove that they don't give two s..ts about players then I hope they all get fired and never find a job in that industry ever again.

@Ozzmcom

90% of players are happy with the handling. Handling sucks for us FFB wheel users because of poor wheel support & FFB and the lack of a true HC mode. The Eden team have not made a statement vis-a-vis what makes the handling suck for us.

I'm supporting DJey too, I just wish he'd hold on to a tool that can endanger the game's future. I'd rather Eden try and then let modder try if Eden fail rather than cause Eden to fail and then find out modders can't do anything to solve our problems. Then we're screwed.

And finally I'm not slagging off modders. Without a handful of guys like Tool831 there wouldn't have been a TDU community and consequently no TDU 2. But there is a reality: modders face none of the economic constraints that Atari/Eden face. Atari can't just lift off cars from other games and convert them to TDU 2. It's not a hobby for them, it's their livelihood.

@ScoobSTi

That's exactly how I feel about the whole thing. I also hope the threat of killing off their potential DLC revenue will help Eden realize they have to get off their pedestal and communicate more directly with the community.

And finally I'm not slagging off modders. Without a handful of guys like Tool831 there wouldn't have been a TDU community and consequently no TDU 2. But there is a reality: modders face none of the economic constraints that Atari/Eden face. Atari can't just lift off cars from other games and convert them to TDU 2. It's not a hobby for them, it's their livelihood.

==> This part show well your ignorance about french modding scene. We and particulary Djey and 2CVSUPERGT always tried to stick to reality and not hurt eden's studio, we respect the devs and their works and we dont want to kill the studio. A few exemples of that respect are 3D models of 2CVSUPERGT made from scratch (not stolen by teenagers,, moreover teenagers of 30 years old), models that always stick to the reality and which have correct physics, sounds, gauges,, not just some conversion of the cars with nothing else with it, mods that take months and months to do and which easily overtake the quality of recent videogames 3Dmodels.

The second exemple is the ultra respect of Djey in the making of his tool, always trying to release quality builds over quantity. He always tried to respect the devs teams by not allowing performance hack in his tool, physics modifications where made for modders, trying to bring them further in the world of modding and pushing them to release some full mod with true physics corresponding to the model of their cars.

@ScoobSTi

That's exactly how I feel about the whole thing. I also hope the threat of killing off their potential DLC revenue will help Eden realize they have to get off their pedestal and communicate more directly with the community.

====>Do you really think that allowing modders to release by exemple lamborghini and maserati's models will kill the potential DLC revenue? Introduce licences that we are more than sure will never be into the game will kill the game?

If you remember well TDU1 modding scene, I think Eden and Atari could give a lot of money to Djey for his work, I'm sure that modding possibilities have increased significantly sells of the first opus that was at the time not far from the bin for a lot of gamers...

Thanks for comments, whatever they should encourage me going further or stopping before 'wrong' things could be done.

I won't engage myself in illimitate discuss here, my decision to go on is based on those simple facts :

+first, I love TDU1 and a part of the modding job is not finished; seeing how its sequel does not provide fun gives me motivation to go further.

TDUMT2 is primarly addressed to TDU1 with no guarantee for TDU2, as mentioned in first post.

+ BNK repacking does not add content to the game, at best it will allow to replace models by others - like in TDU1. If there are official addons packs WITH QUALITY, why would this prevent them to be sold ?

Nascarbuc, don't try to accusate modders of destroying the game - it's already broken and most criticised facts won't be fixed. They said it. What is worse than continuing selling DLCs on a crappy base ?

+ If first DLC are not purchased anymore, blame people allowing to unlock contents which are already in the game. That's hacking and definely not my goal.

+ TDUMT2 is still at an early stage fore repacking, so no need for me to hold things on, won't be ready by tomorrow anyway - just because I've got a life.

+ TDU1 support has been quickly abandoned with a poor communication from ATARI - they never teach from their errors. I have no hope on TDU2 and no confidence in ATARI.

I was fooled once, that's sufficient to me.

My thought is if they are able to provide plenty of contents for TDU2 (and I seriously doubt about it) - some people will always buy them, modding or not. So I'm not worrying much for ATARI.

Btw Nascarbug, you're from Nice as I can see. Salut à toi :)

@Ozzmcom

90% of players are happy with the handling. Handling sucks for us FFB wheel users because of poor wheel support & FFB and the lack of a true HC mode. The Eden team have not made a statement vis-a-vis what makes the handling suck for us.

I'm supporting DJey too, I just wish he'd hold on to a tool that can endanger the game's future. I'd rather Eden try and then let modder try if Eden fail rather than cause Eden to fail and then find out modders can't do anything to solve our problems. Then we're screwed.

%90 of the players would of course like the handling other wise they wouldn't be still playing. But here %90 of people don't like the handling which a large amount are tdu1 fans. And I'm sorry but I don't care what their statement is , if a driving game doesn't support ffb then it's rubbish all together for me.

@Rollingtheboy

You would have a point if the tools were meant to be used by only a handful of mature, business-friendly modders.

I haven't been focusing exclusively on the French modding scene for the past 4 years so I noticed what was happening in the larger community responsible for the overwhelming majority of mods: modders were always trying to outdo each other. The new modders would do cars already released by the most notorious modders just to see how they measured up. Then in turn the more experienced ones would do in just a few days the exact same car it took a 'rising star' weeks to finish, just to show who's boss. It happened all the time. You think they won't have a field day going head to head with pro designers? Rubbing Eden's nose into how much better Forza 3/4 look and whatnot? You can expect at least 3 different versions of each and every car Eden will release. And that's not counting the Russian kids who invariably steal mods, touch them slightly and release them under their own name.

@DJey

You're making valid points. I can't really find much to disagree with, again I can only somewhat enjoy the game myself because of modding! It would be hypocritical of me to slam modders or anyone else.

My only real point of contention would be this:

"If there are official addons packs WITH QUALITY, why would this prevent them to be sold ?"

Because modders lift off models of similar or even higher quality and offer them for free. Eden's budget is a fraction of Turn 10/Slightly Mad's. I mean both are owned by multi-billion dollar corporations while Eden is owned by a small outfit that's been teetering on the brink of bankruptcy for over a decade. So if Eden spends a great deal of its small budget on getting high quality cars made, and modders flood the market with free cars of similar or higher quality, who's gonna buy Eden's cars?

Gamers aren't a kind and understanding bunch as a whole. I always think I hate Atari/Eden more than anything in the world until I read a bunch of brutal comments attacking Atari for basically not having Microsoft or EA's kind of market cap. Then I remember that what I hate more than anything is people who bully David because Goliath is so much stronger and cooler.

Even among console players, having to buy a half-dozen cars when PC gamers get the same ones and tons of other great cars for free might just alienate those who haven't yet had enough.

But hey It's just speculation on my part. Let the chips fall where they may. And yeah it's true that when I get caught up on the devil's advocate side part of me tends to forget that Atari & Eden made their beds.

PS: salut a toi! Mais je ne suis pas DE Nice - crois moi les locaux ne ratent jamais une occasion de te le rappeler.

what can i say to you??! you are right off course but.... You have to face it ...We tdu fans just love tdu1 because what eden made was just fenomenal

to convert gran turismo in a open island with people who can actually can be envolve in a cruise with the best cars of the world.... This was in 2006 when in gran turismo 4 the cars were just shaped cardboard boxes

After the magic finish.....we were all dreaming with a tdu2 full of new things ...new graphics new cars new handling ... A STORY ARGUMENT... somehow i get the felling that eden was thinking in all this stuff too...something went wrong because in 2011 the game is given the sensation that is a joke...you cant even stering with a normal controller....forget the keyboard

of course tdu1 was not perfect....but it was different from all the games ...but it would eventually end up dying because ATARI didnt support the gamers opinion like EA did with Hot pursuit

Till DJEY CAME UP With the modding tools ideia ....after that you end up seeing the passion the most of the players had for tdu1..actually most of them were unistalling the game because it was cool but boring...then they were are installing the game again because MODDING gave a hope again to this fantastic game

ATARI Even now dont recognize that tdu1 servers are full and they are actually winning money because off teenagers that mod the game!!!!

Seriously this game has all the impact in car fans and they are giving up when they should actually invest in it....but that never gonna happen ... i think most of us dont have hope....

AND when they open their eyes after modding begins in tdu2 and their servers fill up again ... they will begin to think in a tdu3 .... but i think it will be late when they do it because EA will remenber to Make a NEED FOR SPEED SERIES WITH A TDU ISLAND IN IT... do you know what im saying right???

Remenber that Atari just wins With our modding

@Rollingtheboy

You would have a point if the tools were meant to be used by only a handful of mature, business-friendly modders.

You cannot restrain the type of people who will use this kind of tool, its like letting people drive some fast cars when they are 18, it's dangerous but you cant stop cardealers selling that kind of car.

I haven't been focusing exclusively on the French modding scene for the past 4 years so I noticed what was happening in the larger community responsible for the overwhelming majority of mods: modders were always trying to outdo each other. The new modders would do cars already released by the most notorious modders just to see how they measured up. Then in turn the more experienced ones would do in just a few days the exact same car it took a 'rising star' weeks to finish, just to show who's boss. It happened all the time. You think they won't have a field day going head to head with pro designers? Rubbing Eden's nose into how much better Forza 3/4 look and whatnot? You can expect at least 3 different versions of each and every car Eden will release. And that's not counting the Russian kids who invariably steal mods, touch them slightly and release them under their own name.

That's why I was talking about your ignorance about french modding scene, you just know a few modders from tducentral that show the bad exemple. You vulgarize Djey's work saying that modders are little teenagers that fight for the greatest mod, Djey release that tool hoping it will be used responsibly, then, its not our fault if the tool is used for bad modifications like you said previously...

once BNK repacking under testing, I'll move myself to XMB reading.

XMB is a widely-used file format among TDU1 & TDU2 files. In first one it was only used for sound configuration; in TDU2 it seems... wow... :eek:

my goal is NOT to provide a mean to modify this file for dummies (as my Vehicle Manager did a while ago), rather give modders a generic ability to change properties into those XMB files - but they will have to discover which property is all about. Sure it will be kinda fun :coolspot:

TDUMT2 will NOT unpack .big files as tools already do that now.

later.

So that means that i for example when doing a sound mod i will be able to modify the xmb file too?

That would be a very good feature in the MT because in tdu2 the cars seem only to reach 4000 rpms... so we will be able to change the time between idles and revs as the effects of the sound

Btw the sound of the cars are made of stereo file samples instead of tdu1 mono

witch means that the defenition that we can storage in the samples is 20 times better :D

Hi guys,

just to let you know, we've achieved to get our first repacked BNKs for TDU1/ TDU2 !

don't misunderstand me, there is a need for heavy debugging now as game engine does not like the way I attempted to optimize files. A painful internal testing session begins !

once that done, I'll submit to modders for testing.

Btw, huge thanks to rollingtheboy for support hour after hour. :)