We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

DSLR help pretty please with a cherry on top :)

AustinDB9

Hey fellow photography obsessed people :]

Okay, I am going to be upgrading my Pentax K100D in just under a months time and am 'apocalypticaly' stuck on what camera to get. I want a camera that has good quality, has some cheaper lenses available (for now) and has more then 6mp like my bloody Pentax haha. I have basically narrowed it down to 2 options so here they are:

1. Get the camera on my birthday which is just under a month away. The only camera I will be able to afford though if I get it straight on my birthday will be a 600D. hopefully will also be able to just manage a 50mm 1.8 lens with this option too. And yes I know the majority will want to egg me for saying the 600D but the only reason for why I am considering it is because it is currently like $50AUD more then the 550D on eBay. Which then makes it worth it. I am leaning more on this option because I have wanted a new DSLR for so bloody long and then I can just get it straight away haha.

2. Wait until I get all my birthday and then hopefully have enough to get the 60D by late oct - early nov. Enough said :p

But the thing is that I don't know if it is worth paying an extra $300 for the 60D over the 600D. For guys that have either of these cameras (including the 550) What should I do?? I will be able to get the 60D but is it worth paying extra to get it? Or should I just put up with the 600D and buy some good lenses.

Also one more thing, do you guys know anything about the new Sony A-65,77 range?? The 65 is in 60D price territory and looks really, really tempting. (24.6 MP, Phwoar!!) Our entire house is Sony but sony dslr's are something I am really unfamiliar with....

Here is the a65if you have no clue what I'm going on about :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YWgxAh-8y0

Thanks for your help and by all means mention other cameras if you can :) My budget is strictly no more then $1100AUD.

As my experience as a 60D user I'm able to help you a bit. Definitely I'll never regret my choice, I never handled on my hands a camera like that. I showed you many times pictures took with the 60D and your clearly saw the pictures quality. Last I used my camera was 1 hour ago for took pictures of some airplanes. The frequency of shots per seconds is enough for our use, in spite of this is my point of view I think it's true. As my point of view the 60D is nearly the same as a 600D, indeed many websites compared both two, and the result is the same, in term of image quality, both two have the same. I suggest you to buy the 600D with the two lenses you told me.

The only defaults I found on my 60D are these two

- No continuous AF in Video

- Slow AF in Live View mode - But you can make it faster by using " AF QUICK" ..

I hope I've helped you.

In your situation i'd probably get the 600D I don't think the 60D would be worth $300 more for someone starting out. Save that money and get some awesome lenses, lenses make much more of a difference than the body! This is coming from a 60D owner, then again the 600D didn't exist back then ;)

I wouldn't go down the Sony path. A friend has the a33 and he takes average videos with it.

I would say go and get a 550D. I know you'd want something new, like the 600D, but seriously IT IS JUST NOT WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY!!!!!!!!!! 550 vs. 600 is identical apart from a tilty-flippy screen. It's absurd. It's better to keep the savings and aim towards getting a nice lens.

Thanks heaps guys :) Yeah I might just be better off going for a 600D and then being able to buy a lens like the 50 1.8 shortly afterwards. Sony looks amazing but I just don't trust it yet (too new) and the lenses look either too plasticy and cheap or to gold plated and expensive. I have considered the D5100 but the BIG problem with that is it's stupid focusing mechanism, so if I were to buy that I would have to buy all the AF-S lenses which is therefore more $$$

And Tom, I know entirely what you mean. But the thing is, the 550D is like $40 cheaper at the moment. And that was the Kiss X4 which has the most stupid name in existence! :p

So for the extra $40, I get basically several new features (the screen mainly) and an actual name (600D). If the price gap was bigger and I could get a 550D logo, trust me I would have gone for that..

have considered the D5100 but the BIG problem with that is it's stupid focusing mechanism, so if I were to buy that I would have to buy all the AF-S lenses which is therefore more $$$

Yeah and the annoying thing is that they mostly make AF-S lenses so those of us with an on board focus motor are paying for another one... The camera defaults onto using the one in the lens and if my 50mm non AF-S is anything to go by I can see why, it's worlds slower than the AF-S lenses.

I'm not too familiar with the 60D (and have used a 600D/T3i only in a store), so I can't speak to the advantages of one over the other. But I do have a T2i, and it's been more than sufficient for every stage of my learning to use both the photo and video features. I started out using auto and manual focus, and thinking I was the king of everything, but have evolved into really understanding the camera. 98% of the photos and videos on my site are shot with a T2i, and you can see the change as I learned - not necessarily terrible pictures in the beginning, but you can see the progression as I learned to use the camera.

I guess what I'm saying is, buy the cheaper camera. Things add up afterwards - lenses, tripods, filters (I just got a polarizing one for the T2i), and anything else you had no idea existed until after you got the camera. :) And for me, at least, I haven't yet found myself wishing I had a better camera (except maybe for more customizable movie settings, but then you start getting into professional film cameras).

-Leadfoot

We spoke long hours about that subject, don't you understood the 600D is the better choice to make ?

I have to agree with Tom when he said these two cameras has the same features, but for 40 $ more, If I was you I'd instantly come for the 600D.

Lots of guys discuss about the utility of the screen you can move. It's a useful thing and was one of the reason when I purchased my 60D. You could ask to Alex for example, who definitely convince me to buy this camera. And if you're someone who need the small LCD screen on the top of the camera, buy the 60D. At the actual time the 600D is certainly one of the better camera to buy price/quality. All I said is my point of view ...

Yeah and the annoying thing is that they mostly make AF-S lenses so those of us with an on board focus motor are paying for another one... The camera defaults onto using the one in the lens and if my 50mm non AF-S is anything to go by I can see why, it's worlds slower than the AF-S lenses.

Yeah true. I would have probably gone with the Nikon if it weren't for the lens issue. I used the D5100 in Perth Aus for a couple of hours and absolutely adored it. But since Canon lenses are cheaper, it's the way to go for me! :p

;432222']I guess what I'm saying is' date=' [b']buy the cheaper camera[/b]. Things add up afterwards - lenses, tripods, filters (I just got a polarizing one for the T2i), and anything else you had no idea existed until after you got the camera. :) And for me, at least, I haven't yet found myself wishing I had a better camera (except maybe for more customizable movie settings, but then you start getting into professional film cameras)

Yeah exactly. I'm still probably a beginner photographer so I should probably just stick with a high-end beginners camera until I think I'm good enough to hit the semi pro range. And yeah once I buy the 50mm 1.8, new tripod, Canon bag and filters, it's going to be over $300 which puts it up towards the 60D 18/55 kit price range.

At the actual time the 600D is certainly one of the better camera to buy price/quality. All I said is my point of view ...

Yeah :) It's just hard comparing the 600D to the 60D because they are seperate classes. But yeah the 600D looks more appealing to what I want.