We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Community Assisted Race Simulator (CARS) WAS in Development

Ryzza5

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just poking around on the Project CARS website, and I noticed this on the main page:

"USER-GENERATED CONTENT - Create your own liveries, decals, tuning setups, and even events! Then share them with the world - either for free, in-game credits or even real money!"

I'm not sure what kind of developments they plan on making, but if the "create your own liveries" feature is available on the Xbox, this will be the game of a lifetime for me!

• 2 weeks later...
Is now in place.

1952 300 SL W194

1971 300SEL 6.8 AMG 'Rote Sau'

1989 Sauber C9

1990 190E 2.5-16 Evolution 2 (DTM racing version)

1998 CLK-LM

2012 SLS AMG GT3

2012 C-Class Coupe DTM

2013 A45 AMG

2010 SLS AMG Coupé

1952 300 SL W194

1952_Mercedes-Benz_300_SL_(_W194_)_019_3783.jpg

1971 300SEL 6.8 AMG 'Rote Sau'

tAzJoiU_MO7l65_1971_Mercedes-Benz_300_SEL_6_8_AM.jpg

1989 Sauber C9

Sauber-Mercedes_C9_Bj._1988_2009-08-07_Sp.jpg

1990 190E 2.5-16 Evolution 2 (DTM racing version)

mercedes-benz_190e-evolution-ii_dtm.jpg

1998 CLK-LM

Mercedes-Benz-Clk-Gtr1.jpg

2012 SLS AMG GT3

2012-Mercedes-Benz-SLS-AMG-GT3-45th-Anniversary-Edition-front-view-2.jpg

2012 C-Class Coupe DTM

20120316-104803.jpg

2013 A45 AMG

2013-mercedes-benz-a45-amg-01.jpg

2010 SLS AMG Coupé

Mercedes_SLS.jpg

:thumbsup:

They still have over 100 cars, just not the traditional approach of trying to get every car that's ever set rubber on a track I guess.

I haven't read the forums but I'd assume from that post the the Mercedes license is now (as good as) finalised.

They still have over 100 cars, just not the traditional approach of trying to get every car that's ever set rubber on a track I guess.

I haven't read the forums but I'd assume from that post the the Mercedes license is now (as good as) finalised.

that is good news, I hope this game won't fail in that department.

With the modding questionable, I would gladly say wish they had spent more money on licenses instead of developing moving suspension animations.

To an extent I share those concerns, but I'm keeping in mind the career design in mind (that hasn't been coded yet). From the very beginning the concept was not to copy every other driving game where you grind to win money to collect cars. Instead you are replicating a real racing career virtually (a bit like some of the old ToCA games). So that means you could do one or two seasons in the same car. The focus now becomes, not how many cars you have, but how many racing disciplines there are. You could potentially spend a lot of time in such a game - we'll see.

To an extent I share those concerns, but I'm keeping in mind the career design in mind (that hasn't been coded yet). From the very beginning the concept was not to copy every other driving game where you grind to win money to collect cars. Instead you are replicating a real racing career virtually (a bit like some of the old ToCA games). So that means you could do one or two seasons in the same car. The focus now becomes, not how many cars you have, but how many racing disciplines there are. You could potentially spend a lot of time in such a game - we'll see.

well you could achieve that by restricting the earnings off races.

All I'm saying is having a variety of car lists is perhaps one of the most important assets of a racing game.

FSA/FCA wrap-up.

The investigation is essentially completed, here's the headlines:

pCARS (current project)

* No fines or prison for Ian Bell :D

* SMS must make it clear to everyone that they can get a refund at any time (up until the game ships). Refunds were always being offered anyway (you just had to ask nicely or be really rude to the devs) :p

* Sign-ups/tool pack purchases will not be reopened. We already hit the target in November 2012 so no big deal (only those who took their time and missed out... miss out :) -edit- there may actually be a way to get into the project s**n but I can't share the details on what Ian is planning. If you're locked outside and interested in joining make sure you have some funds ready to go. This is still not a tool pack purchase though.

Going forward (future WMD projects)

* Developers will need to maintain a higher stake than the 30% model currently used. Can't remember if it was specifically 50% or not.

Other news

* SMS are official developers for the Wii U now and have the dev kit.... and now they are also official developers for another new console :eek: /tease

FSA/FCA wrap-up.

The investigation is essentially completed, here's the headlines:

pCARS (current project)

* No fines or prison for Ian Bell :D

* SMS must make it clear to everyone that they can get a refund at any time (up until the game ships). Refunds were always being offered anyway (you just had to ask nicely or be really rude to the devs) :p

* Sign-ups/tool pack purchases will not be reopened. We already hit the target in November 2012 so no big deal (only those who took their time and missed out... miss out :) -edit- there may actually be a way to get into the project s**n but I can't share the details on what Ian is planning. If you're locked outside and interested in joining make sure you have some funds ready to go. This is still not a tool pack purchase though.

Going forward (future WMD projects)

* Developers will need to maintain a higher stake than the 30% model currently used. Can't remember if it was specifically 50% or not.

Other news

* SMS are official developers for the Wii U now and have the dev kit.... and now they are also official developers for another new console :eek: /tease

that 30% looked very optimistic indeed

Yes, SMS officially intend to make pCARS on the new consoles, whether they actually do it or not depends on community funding when it opens ~next week.

The rough estimates so far are - assume it will cost 1.5m EUR per new platform to port (dev kit fees, publishing fees to Sony/MS, hiring new devs to work on it, etc). To break even the game would need 50,000 sales on each new platform.

So if you become an investor your profit/loss comes only from the new console(s), and has nothing to do with sales on PC, X360, PS3, and Wii U. However new investors will still get access to the WMD forums and will be able to play pre-alpha builds on PC with the rest of us.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys and Gals,

The team and I have been looking at short-medium and long term goals, listening to the will of the community and looking at areas of the game that need attention most urgently. What I'd like to share with y'all today is the work we're looking at doing now and next - the plan to the game's release is still being knocked into shape but we're much closer to a clear picture there. So in lieu of the full plan to release (which I will be sharing with you soon) here's a look at our plan of attack right now for the immediate future:

• Manual engine start controls - This is done and in today's build!
  • Weather setting - the full way of being able to specify the weather during a race, including random and "real" (downloaded from the net).
  • Tyres - Allow any tyre to be fitted to a car (configured in car setup)
  • Yellow/penalty flags
  • Track Cameras Tool
  • Post-track load (and on track) car setup
  • Full race weekend
  • Pitstops
  • Audio improvements - more on this soon!
  • Multiple custom livery support
  • KERS/DRS/Push to pass support
  • View replays in front end
  • Brake wear
  • Ballast system for MP
  • "Real" damage mode
  • Turn indicators
  • "Goggles" helmet for Lotus 49
  • Setup sharing
  • Windscreen dirt buildup
  • Live Track
  • New Concepts for Main Menu and Time Trial UI
  • Gear Ratio Setup System

This work will take varying amounts of time but I hope you'll agree this is all important stuff that'll make a significant contribution to the look, feel and experience that we're putting together. Please be assured that the wishlists posted and the PMs sent have been read and are being considered as part of our complete plan to the game's release, and have already been used to help guide us with our short term goals.

• 3 weeks later...

The collision code was turned down on purpose ages ago to stop cars (mainly AI) wildly flying around - it's on the agenda. Some things just can't be started until other parts of the game are done (dependencies).