We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Best NFS?

Andreas¹

Best NFS?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Best NFS?

• The Need for Speed/SE (1994)
    • Need for Speed II/SE (1997)
    • Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (1998)
    • Need for Speed: Road Challenge/High Stakes (1999)
    • Need for Speed: Porsche 2000/Unleashed (2000)
    • Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (2002)
    • Need for Speed: Underground (2003)
    • Need for Speed: Underground 2 (2004)
    • Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
    • Need for Speed: Carbon (2006)
    • Need for Speed: ProStreet (2007)
    • Need for Speed: Undercover (2008)
    • Need for Speed: Shift (2009)
    • Need for Speed: World Online (2010)
    • Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010)
    • Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed (2011)
    • Need for Speed: The Run (2011)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

NFS1 - It started everything that this genre was about. If you hadn't played it, find it and use DOSBox to play it. Eight cars (Diablo VT, 512, 993, Viper, Corvette, NSX, RX7 and Supra) and only a hand full of tracks. First game to have cops as well, you just had to really mess up to be caught by them.) By today's standards, it's obviously subpar, but one of the fantastic things about this game is it also had interior view for cars and each vehicle had it's own details page where some guy would describe the car and it's perks. Simple but fantastic.

NFSII - More cars, some concept cars, but pretty much just the extended version of The Road and Track Need for Speed (NFS1).

NFSIII - It took Need for Speed 1 and extended the cops for it. This time law enforcement became a huge part of the series and really is what Need For Speed came to be symbolized as...it's the game that we (older fans) want remade...

NFSIV - Now cars had upgrades, modifications and betting involved, you could win it all or lose it all. This game I had for PC and was fun as hell to mod. I voted this as the favourite as it encompassed all the good things from the previous three in one awesome package. The modding thing helped too.

NFS Porsche - Regarded as the best game, started dynamic active aero parts for certain parts...with an Exclusive license, this is probably the game that should be remade. I never actually got a chance to play it.

NFS HP2 - This game had two versions...The PS2 version and a Ported Xbox/Gamecube/PC version. The later version lacked in cars, graphics, tracks and difficulty. The Playstation version, however, was great. The soundtrack was good (I have all the songs still I think), the car list was good and it brought back all the things from Hot Pursuit 1. For me, it was the last of the greats. (Again, Only the PS2 version qualifies).

NFS UG - I still believe that they should have kept one Need for Speed for Tuners and one for exotics. Whatever, this game had it's own moments. Introducing lesser cars. I believe it also had the Acura RSX, the last game to house street racing and the Honda Motor Corp. It was also the first (just edging out Motor City Online) to have an open world vehicle game. I personally wasn't a fan of it.

NFS UG2 - Similar to Need for Speed 2, This game expanded on the previous version of it, this time including more customizations, tuning and even a few SUVs. Although the SUVs were useless, it was a nice touch. It was also cool tuning the car to see what it could do...I warmed up to it, but still wasn't a fan.

NFS MW - Surprisingly decent, the only issue I had was that after the game was done, getting money to customize cars for free roam ended up being useless...My biggest issue was the lack of replayability or customizations in career once you beat everything...that kind of sucked. Good car list though.

NFS Carbon - First Need for Speed game that I never touched. Enough said.

NFS Prostreet - The physics were not great, I couldn't get into the game at all. Played and second NFS that I didn't buy.

NFS Undercover - Okay okay, so the story was kind of lame, some of the challenges were annoying, some of the bugs really got in your face. The car list was fantastic though, I liked driving the cars that they gave, I would have played a ton more if it allowed for easy money after you beat everything...modifying the cars was fun, but it sucked that you couldn't keep playing once the career was done.

NFS Shift - Didn't play.

NFS World - Didn't Play

NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 - Almost. Almost had this one. I didn't buy it, but I did play it, and there was a lot of it that was fun and I truly wanted to buy it. I couldn't though. The graphics: Fantastic, the sound: Great...but I couldn't get over the handling of the cars...it was very Burnout, obviously, and that bothered me...I do not like the new Handling style of the new games, and for that it just could not work for me so I never got it. Playing it here and there was great...and the car list was fun to...the issue this time is simply that to get all the cars, you had to spend an arm and a leg of real money just to get a complete collection. I may buy this game if there is an ultimate version with all the cars in box for 20 bucks...

NFS S2U - Didn't bother.

NFS The Run - I tried the demo...the story is alright, they tried. The only thing that I can say i like about this game, aside from the graphics...the tire sounds...that's really all. Oh well. Just have to wait another year or two and hope they get it right then, right?

I think the best part about the nfs1 was indeed the interior , and I think even by today's standarts it's better than most rubbish racing games because it had a little pop-up screen of the gear knob appeared when you changed gears, it was simply the best feature of any game in the history :P , You should try out shift series, they're quite good I mean if you gave a shot at undercover you could give a shot at any game I think

• 5 months later...

Wow, I didn't think you guys would be that into Unleashed! I loved it, It was my first racer and it started my love of Porsche. The cars, the upgrade system, the factory driver ( me gusta e-break turns), and the career. All they need it to team up with Criterion and put as much work into it as they did for the rehash of Hot Pursuit and they would have the best game ever. I still play Unleashed, though its unstable because I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. Its awesome to see that there are quite a few people who enjoy driving cars, rather than just drive Veryons at blasing speeds.

the factory driver ( me gusta e-break turns)

Took me a while to actually remember what you meant by that, but now I remember all of those missions you had testing and driving out on the skidpad. They were haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard. I can't remember which one for sure, but there was always one that I could never pass, I think it was the first one with the GT1 where you did all those crazy spins (and had to use a manual gearbox). I couldn't pass it until many years later when I had actually learned how to drive with the manual gearbox, lol

Yeah, It was the one where you had to "demonstrate your car control" by making a 360 using the hand break. Then the next level was the same although it involved 2 360's and you had to do a slalom between the two. As a 5-9 year old kid, they were one of the hardest things I had ever done. Also, because of the factory driver I know to take the innermost lane to shave of distances and that you can drive straight through s curves. Loved it so much. Almost feel like making a internet petition to get EA to remake it.

Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends may be similar in that way - since you are hired as a test driver for Ferrari - so we'll see. I'm quite happy for EA/Black Box/Criterion to not do a car game ever again - sure I enjoy arcade games (i.e. Driver SF was great) but the cars have to behave *somewhat* realistically, otherwise you might as well just be playing Star Wars Pod Racers :p

I do agree with that, it seems they just couldn't shake loose that mentality that the only kind of cornering is to drift. That whole Underground-Carbon section was rather rough, maybe they will merge the arcardey NFS with Shift and its peers. One can only hope.

I did enjoy Driver SF because of the story, subtle humor, and the challenges. Loved that story arc of the two Asian brothers that would get into high risk races and Tanner would have to bail them out. Sorry for the tangent there. I hold steadfast that NFSPU was the best.

I have to disagree with that. :p HP 2010 felt like Ridge Racer (you could drift your way through a corner regardless of entry speed if you held the handbrake long enough in the corner). Nothing like NFS3, more like Burnout Paradise (no coincidence there). In The Run I actually had to slow down for some corners or make use of a driving line.

NFS 3, 4 and 5 are imo the best NFS'es of all time.

NFS3 for the small but nice set of cars, the racing against the police, the fun and nice tracks, the great music (hears Romulus 3 while seeing brand names flying by....) and the narrator with the car slideshows and the track explanations.

NFS4 for the level it went up compared to NFS3, the nice effects such as interior illumination, the career mode with High Stakes challenges and vehicle tuning, the inclusion of NFS3's tracks, the even better police mode where you're actually a team, it was fantastic. And once again, the great soundtrack.

NFS5 for its atmosphere, the fantastic soundtrack, the very well done Evolution mode, the great and challenging Factory Driver mode, the huge amount of Porsches and available tuningparts, the tracks, the skies, the environments.... Everything was great.

As for the rest, I played NFS2 as well but it never caught my imagination as 3 4 and 5 did, and from NFS6 on everything went downhill. The cars in 6 felt unnatural, graphic details weren't good (such as metal interiors on some cars), the extreme steps back looking at what you could do in/with cars in NFS5 and in/with cars in NFS6... and after that, it was from one plastic party that makes Barby jealous to the other horrible storyline. NFS Underground 2, well I finished it and it was okay to play, but that's just about it.

NFS4 for the level it went up compared to NFS3, the nice effects such as interior illumination, the career mode with High Stakes challenges and vehicle tuning, the inclusion of NFS3's tracks, the even better police mode where you're actually a team, it was fantastic. And once again, the great soundtrack.

Damage! You forgot damage! :panic: Probably the biggest reason why I like NFS IV better than III.

NFS: Porsche Unleashed (as it was called in the US - the name varied from country to country). Easy win. Interior views, fun courses with multiple routes, dynamic weather, and a huge car list, all at a time when racing games were stoic and track-based. I remember I played the Alps course for years afterwards, and when I was younger would pretend I had to run "missions" from different towns on the track to others (oh, children :cheeky: ). An amazing track. Plus it had the greatest intro video of any racing game:

It's the little things that make it special, too; the used car market was accurate and varied, and if you knew the most efficient way to repair cars (oh yeah - damage), it was a way to make money. Blinkers, head lights, and high-beams all worked, and there were numerous other things that made it so great. And that intro is why a 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo, black-on-black, with five-spoke wheels is second on my list of Porsche cars. :)

EDIT: And the career mode, which progressed over 50 years. Plus it had that "test driver" course, which was a secondary career mode without any real purpose, but that was extensive and been given a lot of development time nonetheless.

EDIT2: HP2 also had a nice intro movie, and a soundtrack that I have on a CD in my car. :cheeky:

-Leadfoot

True. The music felt like such an essential part of the game, and the people who made the music for those games are pure geniuses. RdP in particular. You just don't get that in games these days, nowadays I always turn off the music that comes with the games and listen to my own because they all seem to have licenses with the same artists. :(

Listening to NFS2-5 soundtracks on Spotify and drowning in nostalgia over here.