We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Retro Gaming #2: Need for Speed II

Ryzza5

That's Need for Speed 2 if you're not good at Roman numerals :lol:

Once you've acquired the game :susp: you'll need a 32-bit PC to install it. Since the installer is a 16-bit application, you won't be able to install it on your hardcore 64-bit gaming PC. :(

Released in 1997 and designed to be run on computers with 16-64MB of RAM running Windows 95, there are a few hoops you have to jump through to get this game working.

The basic steps are as follows:

1. Insert the CD or mount the ISO file using PowerISO, Virtual CD, Alcohol 120%, Daemon Tools, or whatever app you use.

2. Install the game. On Windows Vista & 7, it recommended that you DON'T install into the 'Program Files' folder, to avoid UAC/Administrative permission problems. Install to C:\Games\NFS2SE or something like that. Select the 'Maximum' install option.

3. Install the game patch (this adds the 3DFX exe as well). (Or just rename the exe file and copy the patch files into the game folder manually, renaming the .EX_ extension to .EXE

4. Install the Microsoft Application Compatibility toolkit and create the database.

5. Setup the 'glide wrapper' (having the SE version of NFS2 is needed for this, unless Andreaz knows another way).

I've zipped up all these tools for you to download easily here (MS ACT, game patch & glide wrapper): NFSIISE compatibility tools.zip

Now obviously you need more specific instructions, you can find them here.

Here are some screenshots of the Glide Setup values (since the guide above isn't formatted too well). Your graphics card and resolution will probably be different to mine unless you have the same laptop as me.

NFS2%2525203D%252520Global%252520settings.pngNFS2%2525203D%252520Glide%252520settings.png

I've used that guide to play on a laptop running XP Pro SP2, Andreaz has got it working on Windows 7, and I'll attempt to do the same this week.

Knockout mode is new to this game, and the tournament is nice and tricky. If you're on PC at least, it's nowhere near as hard as NFS1 though ;)

Here's the result last time I played it:

NFSIISE%252520Tournament.JPG

1st place in a race gets 5 more points than 2nd place, so yeah, I only just won (and I won the last race by half a car length as well) :lol:

I think my graphics are a bit corrupt cause I can swear the Esprit didn't look like that back in the day. :hmmm: Oh well. I still suck at it, I've managed to win a total of one (1!) race so far. xD

Also, something I miss from the non-SE version is the ability to have completely random opponents, as in from all classes. Not possible in SE. Me sad. :(

Another thing is that the engine sound, at least for the Esprit, are very good. I love the sound the cars make when shifting gears. :drool: Exactly as a V8 should sound in my opinion. *looks for option to turn engine volume up*

• 11 months later...