We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

thunderhawk17382

Everyone's own decision to do that, but take money for mods is a stupid idea.

Start flaming me, but I dont care.

We won't flame you.

Star's mods are always unfinished and have some ridiculous plate on that doesn't blend in with the cars.

I was going to pay him £20 once for a performante soft top, I see he eventually released it without even fixing the windows, so I would never pay him for anything.

However, there are a few members I would -- only if they did it to high quality and wanted to actually do it or didn't want too, but had to be persuaded by transaction to accomplish what I would have wanted.

It's also illegal to ask money for the mods they have made, in any jurisdiction, as they never made them originally - just converting. Unless they made them from scratch.

Even though i don't agree with charging for mods downloads, he doesn't make anyone pay him... it's up to you pay and get it, but you don't have to. Just download from someone else who does it for free.

And i won't say why i disagree with such thing because it's irrelevant.

So paying to get mods is illegal, never knew that as a hard and fast rule, but thought it seemed unfair to have to pay for anything user made.

Ok, let us apply COMMON sense and the laws.

Scenario One: You own a clothing line. You sell the clothes. Another distributor comes and sells them. ILLEGAL. Unless you have permission to sell them from the distributor.

Now, let us use TDU for this scenario and swap the clothes with vehicles.

In any jurisdiction, this will come under property law.

Or you can use the old loop hole that has been used for years... its the same one people used when charging for pirate cd's and dvd's.

You are not paying for the item, you are paying for the time and effort that goes into making them, the item is free, but you charge for the "labour".

Or like in the case of a premium subscription /vip status. You are neither paying for the mod or for the labour. you are simply paying to get access to a section of a website where all the best free mods are kept.

And the property law doesnt come down so much to paying for the mod, it comes down to the fact someone removed it from a game, thats the original theft. Most EULA's state you are not allowed to reverse engineer/ disassemble the software. which is what we do when ripping the models. That has broke the property law. you have obtained the models they paid licenses for by reverse engineering the software. Dont get me wrong you can get busted for charging for stolen stuff. But the above loop holes are often used in those cases.

But yes flat out charging for a mod, like putting an individual price on each mod.. " this one is $2.99.. this one is only $1.99" that is illegal.

But even downloading a completely free car mod is as well, if the model came from another game. You are receiving stolen goods.

So anyone who frequents a site such as this and downloads car mods, then goes on to say how some other mods are illegal is being rather hypocritical. What the modders are doing.. all of them.. by getting models from other games, is illegal, what uses do, by downloading said mods is illegal.

People really have no place complaining about the legality of one set of mods when all of them break a very basic copywrite theft law.

Or you can use the old loop hole that has been used for years... its the same one people used when charging for pirate cd's and dvd's.

You are not paying for the item, you are paying for the time and effort that goes into making them, the item is free, but you charge for the "labour".

All wrong, I suggest you go and read up the property laws of the United Kingdom (both of our jurisdictions).

You can't republish something that has been copyrighted by TDU2 (or Forza etc) (such as the whole game), they received the rights from such car companies to allow such models into the game. There is no loop hole in the English common law system to selling something that is not yours without the exception of permission.

All wrong, I suggest you go and read up the property laws of the United Kingdom (both of our jurisdictions).

You can't republish something that has been copyrighted by TDU2 (or Forza etc) (such as the whole game), they received the rights from such car companies to allow such models into the game. There is no loop hole in the English common law system to selling something that is not yours without the exception of permission.

Remember, you are not dealing with only the U.K. you have the laws of many countries applying to content for people around the world. Regardless of what you wave in someone's face saying "This is law," it might not even apply to that person because it isn't law in their country. So really, people only ever need to follow rules that apply to them, even if its illegal for you.

Remember, you are not dealing with only the U.K. you have the laws of many countries applying to content for people around the world. Regardless of what you wave in someone's face saying "This is law," it might not even apply to that person because it isn't law in their country. So really, people only ever need to follow rules that apply to them, even if its illegal for you.

I did say (UK for both of us for an example).

I'm doing Law currently, you are probably not. You don't understand that although there are different law systems throughout the world, most are based off the English common law system or Roma system (ancient rome)...

United States property law is very similar to the U.K. one... where it is very different is the court structure and criminal laws. The civil laws, such as this, are very similar.

You are right that I am in fact not doing any studies of law and really have not much intent on studying it. I can believe what you are saying.

That's ok man. I just want to show my distaste for modders who want money for something that they don't deserve.

1: If making from scratch, then you are entitled to economic gain

2: If you are converting and simply doing one or two things and wanting money from the community... then it is illegal

2b: Unless you privately agree with someone to do something for you.

I've always said this, I think this is one of the worst modding communities around. From what I see, the modders want to be treated like something else. Other communities and mods I've done (UAW, BFME, COH) the community was fundamentally sound. I can see a big difference here and there.

You guys can flame me and neg rep me on that, I truly don't care. It doesn't go for every modder, but just a few I come across on this forum.

That's ok man. I just want to show my distaste for modders who want money for something that they don't deserve.

1: If making from scratch, then you are entitled to economic gain

2: If you are converting and simply doing one or two things and wanting money from the community... then it is illegal

2b: Unless you privately agree with someone to do something for you.

I've always said this, I think this is one of the worst modding communities around. From what I see, the modders want to be treated like something else. Other communities and mods I've done (UAW, BFME, COH) the community was fundamentally sound. I can see a big difference here and there.

You guys can flame me and neg rep me on that, I truly don't care. It doesn't go for every modder, but just a few I come across on this forum.

Got to agree. Just look at the Skyrim modders- everything they make is completely from scratch and their projects are much bigger and much more complex... and they do it all for FREE with constant support (in most cases) to downloaders with good, friendly interaction. They don't take someones property and sell it on for profit for themselves unlike some TDU2 modders... :/

Got to agree. Just look at the Skyrim modders- everything they make is completely from scratch and their projects are much bigger and much more complex... and they do it all for FREE with constant support (in most cases) to downloaders with good, friendly interaction. They don't take someones property and sell it on for profit for themselves unlike some TDU2 modders... :/

I haven't modded Skyrim but they have some next level mods. I mainly modded RTS games.

Modding is not suppose to be economical. It really, deep down in depth, is for modders showcasing what they have got for the games industry -- of course few take this route, but that is the real identity of modding.

You forgot to address the part where you was being hypocritical. complaining AT ALL about the fact that you think some mods are illegal, when in fact 99% of all tdu mods are illegal ( because they are stolen models from another game ) but yet you still take part in downloading them and are quite emphatic about wanting certain mods. Make up your mind son, you cannot have it both ways.

Either you don't download ANY mods coz they are all illegal and there for BAD, or you accept that some practices go on that you may not agree with, or down right despise, but you are in that circle of illegality anyway, so you let it slide...

You forgot to address the part where you was being hypocritical. complaining AT ALL about the fact that you think some mods are illegal, when in fact 99% of all tdu mods are illegal ( because they are stolen models from another game ) but yet you still take part in downloading them and are quite emphatic about wanting certain mods. Make up your mind son, you cannot have it both ways.

Either you don't download ANY mods coz they are all illegal and there for BAD, or you accept that some practices go on that you may not agree with, or down right despise, but you are in that circle of illegality anyway, so you let it slide...

Yeah 99% of TDU2 mods are "stolen" from other games... but I don't see it as a problem if the modders don't charge for the mods and credits are always given to Turn10 or whoever made the original model here on Turboduck. I'm sure ,ethically speaking, Turn10 employees couldn't care less if their models are being converted for free into another game (I bet some of those employees probably play TDU2 with mods) but if other people were making money from their work, they would get rightly pissed off.

Oh and technically, for example, a lot of Skyrim mods use Bethesda textures etc but have Bethesda ever sued the Skyrim Nexus? Answer is no. :) You just need to understand that people don't like modders that charge for someone else's property- that's illegal and worth a lawsuit. No one is being hypocritical because I'm sure a lot of people here would never pay for mods. But free mods with proper credit given that extend the life of a game? People queue up. :)

We've always had a policy here from Day 1 that all mods posted must be available without having to register or pay. Feel free to link to your own site/community but on the landing page there must be a freely available download link for the person to then be able to follow.

If you are charging people to gain access to converted modifications then you are putting yourself in a highly grey area and almost inviting legal action against you or a take-down notice through your inbox for a start. Of course this doesn't deter some regions and they pro-actively set out to do this for the sole purpose of making money and as time has shown there is little companies can do to stop it.

And I understand the "hypocrite" argument, hence this is why we always say that modding is at your own risk and also that we don't host any of the mods ourselves. You see we actually respect the work people do originally and then appreciate the modders' work afterwards, sure the whole original take or rip of the models is debatable to whether it's right or wrong morally and ethically, however it's clear that many games companies "turn an eye" to it when it's used simply to 'put X vehicle into Y game' and nothing more. Hell Eden Games told me this when I visited them back in July 2010.

However the people who rip and try and sell the models on sites like turbosquid (think that's it) or charge people to access them are what gets to them the most, as these people are effectively making money from the time, effort and dedication of another.

So if you want to charge for it then make sure you are the one who made it. Like Zoqqer could do for example.

Huggy actually said it well before me. :lol:

[...]I'm sure ,ethically speaking, Turn10 employees couldn't care less if their models are being converted for free into another game [...]

Sorry but, are you serious? :D Turn10 is paying thousands of thousands of dollars for the rights from the car brand to remodel their models and bring them in their game. Also they have to pay the 3D Artists, the programmers and the photographers to do their job perfect.

So I hardly doubt Turn10 got no problem seeing their models in other games..

Sorry but, are you serious? :D Turn10 is paying thousands of thousands of dollars for the rights from the car brand to remodel their models and bring them in their game. Also they have to pay the 3D Artists, the programmers and the photographers to do their job perfect.

So I hardly doubt Turn10 got no problem seeing their models in other games..

Yeah I'm serious. Can you explain to me why T10 have not done anything yet? What competition does TDU2 pose to them? What harm are our modders that work for free doing?

--- Post Updated ---

I dont think they play their own games too much, even if the do play games i dont think as a creators of one of the best racing franchise they would choose Tdu2 which is one of the worst in recent years

Why are you on these forums then if you think TDU2 is one of the worst driving games? :S Any gamer will know that TDU2 offers something that a lot of driving games don't. I think its one of the best and has much more replay potential than Boring Motorsport 4 or 5.

Why are you on these forums then if you think TDU2 is one of the worst driving games? :S I think its one of the best and has much more replay potential than Boring Motorsport 4 or 5.
Just to interject, most of us hate TDU2 and after it released* we immediately thought about distancing ourselves from it and hence turboduck was born hatched.

*not only this but also the way Atari treated the community and the complete amateur handling of the game itself after release