We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

BEWARE - Demo Released!

Soul Challenger

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like in the movies lol, ye imo it looks good. Guy really trying to almost bash you off the road, then he realizes his car is not made for sporty driving and he has to do whatever he can to get through the turn.

Yep - I'm trying to achieve some of that 70's movies feeling :). For this test, it was mostly the sliding and counter-steering I was trying to implement. Never really seen this in other games, where the AI cars are always well glued to the tarmac.

Ye we also tried looking into hingejoints and lookat codes but we can't really find any useful helptopic or anything. Some people did manage to get it right but they either are unreachable, or they have lost like half of all the needed coding/files. :(

Ok. I'll share my solution if I manage to get it right - might take a while though, since I'm very busy with another project at the moment.

Wow... this is quite impressive. Looks like a scary car game! I like it. :D

Thank you! Nice to hear that some scariness does come across. :)

Very nice got me interested ...is that a teddy bear driving :lol:

The driver is called Time Rodent - a time-traveler from the far future :cool:

[ATTACH]21558[/ATTACH]

Seems a tiny bit odd but that also seems to suit the in game environment quite well.

Maybe the steering is a bit cartoony?

Do you plan to make the headlights light up more of the road? The camera position isn't working for me either, can't see anything when the AI is close.

You might also attract a lot more layers if you can implement a cockpit view and Oculus Rift support.

Cheers for the update

Yes, better headlights and camera are planned (among lots of other yet-to-be-implemented features). There's also a cockpit view but I'm not so fond of the way it behaves right now.

Occulus could be very interesting to boost the immersion.

Thanks for all the comments. Very much appreciated!

• 1 month later...

I like it. Perhaps eventually add a setting to enable or disable head movement. I liked it but maybe others might find it dizzymaking, although I do find it quite realistic, also in the sliding moves. Nice work on making the enemies trying to perform a PIT maneuver on you. They are a bit clumsy sometimes though lol.

It is so good watching this project evolve and the latest videos are fun to watch because it's something different to the norm which is refreshing. Watching them I got an eerie sense of some kind of driving Silent Hill type game and then the ramming test reminded me so much of Ronin. Good work yet again, every update is always something better to see.

• 4 weeks later...
I like it. Perhaps eventually add a setting to enable or disable head movement. I liked it but maybe others might find it dizzymaking, although I do find it quite realistic, also in the sliding moves.

Making it optional is not a problem. For now it's a dynamic rig that imitates body and head movement and also adjusts the view direction when the car is sliding.

I also though of bundling a

with the game :D

Nice work on making the enemies trying to perform a PIT maneuver on you. They are a bit clumsy sometimes though lol.

Hopefully it will behave better when an actual programmer starts working on this project. Until now it's been a one-man-show (and I've never programmed in my life before working on this). Kind of a miracle I managed to get this far alone :)

It is so good watching this project evolve and the latest videos are fun to watch because it's something different to the norm which is refreshing. Watching them I got an eerie sense of some kind of driving Silent Hill type game and then the ramming test reminded me so much of Ronin. Good work yet again, every update is always something better to see.

Well it's certainly a huge motivation to get that positive feedback :) It makes me feel it's worth it to keep going with this project - thank you for that!

And thanks to all for their valuable feedback! All the very best for 2015 :)

[ATTACH]22242[/ATTACH]

• 1 year later...

That was so cool. It caught me by surprise that you were in fact the white car due to the driving of the chasers being so good. Then the whole chase sequence itself was very like Ronin and I couldn't stop laughing when you saw the pursuers bouncing and bobbing about as the car was being thrown about.

This is some incredible work and it's been a real delight watching the updates and reading about this project of yours.

Thank-you for continuing to show us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Always like seeing the updates you post in this thread. Can't believe that you've made something that looks so good and fun in Unity! Looks like really good fun bouncing around in that car. :nods:

:) Thank you! Unity does have a bad reputation but it's possible to squeeze some nice results out of it. So-far, I'm quite happy with it.

This looks amazing! If you need any help in matters 3D Models hit me up! :)

Thanks a lot for your feedback and offered modeling help. Much appreciated :)

--- Post Updated ---

Made a video of me racing against an AI-controlled car:

[media=vimeo]155246283[/media]

Which car is player-controlled? Yellow or blue? :cool:

Well yet again you continue to impress as personally I couldn't detect the usual AI traits that games have with their car handling and racing. And I genuinely mean it, even when the car in front was in positions that would normally see most games apply the brakes hard or switch from side to side the video had none of that. Not to mention the fluid car control when the car was stepping out.

If I had to guess though, I would say you were the blue and if you weren't then bravo as that is some unbelievable driving for an AI in my opinion. And even if I am right it is still very natural in a lot of its behaviour, which is kind of scary. :para:

• 2 months later...

I'm starting to think you are an AI yourself now. :susp:

Seriously though, the thinking and smooth motions that the AI takes in doing these actions is so much more natural than almost any other game I can think of. The gentle use of brakes, the swerving out and then back in to increase momentum when the cars collide and then the way they turn to cut you off from driving away. You have a real talent and it's not just in the one area either, as the visuals and physics that can be seen show.

Thank you again for showing us an update.

Thank you all for the great feedback :) I'm really happy there are still some people who feel that competent AI is meaningful. I've recently started a topic about this and felt quite disheartened after reading most of the opinions: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/solved-reasons-for-horrible-artificial-intelligence-in-aaa-games.400473/#post-2616789

• 2 months later...