We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Retro Gaming #3 + 4: Need for Speed III and IV: High Stakes

Ryzza5

Since these two games were fairly similar (all the NFS3 tracks are in NFS4, plus NFS4 should be easier to install on modern computers since NFS3 doesn't support 64-bit) I'll combine these two together. Play either one or both - but make sure you participate and post pics/videos and rate the game.

NFS4 iirc also supported modding and with an extensive mod still supports online multiplayer. I think Andreaz is more up to date with all that jazz so I'll hand the mic over to him to post links and tutorials.

I guess you never looked at sites like these back in the day: http://www.gamewinners.com/playstation/NeedForSpeedHighStakes.htm :lol:

Back then you also had quite a few differences between the PC and PSX versions. PC had the better graphics and mods, PSX had some extra cool features though, and NFS3 had a bunch of bonus tracks (that you could only access with cheat codes) that were only available on the PSX.

On PC the handling was fairly similar to NFS3. I didn't like the NFS3 handling on a keyboard - I reckon NFS2SE was much better. NFS5 was somewhat similar to NFS2's sim handling.

Anyway I'm going to try and get this installed on my PC again now:

I played NFS 3 and NFS HS back to back and the physics engine is different. The cars in HS do feel more bulky and weighed down compared to NFS 3.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who hit a wall or two... >_>

You can certainly tell the difference between HS on PC and PSX.

Edit: And you can certainly tell the PC version looks better - but that's rather expected.

The carlist was also slightly different, I think there was something with the F1 GTR being on PC only, whereas the PSX actually had a tuned Caprice, a Titan Hotrod and a Phantom supercar.

And that's aside from regional differences, there were also Japanese and Australian versions with a few different cars.

Yeah - I also preferred the Be a cop mode on PSX to PC as well (although the PC version had other fun versions mostly as well, but the PSX one was my fav. Used to spend a bit of time in the pursuit Caprice on that Canadian track.

If worse comes to worse I've already got pre-recorded NFS HS videos from previous times I've played it. I don't feel like (re)installing another OS just to play the game again.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...