We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Coin

Question

Our old club folded and we formed a new club with a new website name. The company hosting the site changed the name for us but they left everything up to me to get it back up and going. So far I have managed to get a home page created and I am working on 4 more pages. What I need help with though is getting our forums page working again. I cannot figure out how to do this and I am hoping you will help me. All it seems I do is go around in circles. The old web page was http://www.smartstreasureclub.com I did not renew this domain name and instead registered this domain. ETRAC-H.com. Our old forums page was located at forums.smartstreasureclub.com. I want the new forums to be located at ETRAC-H.com/forums. Will you please help me make the changes I need to get this up and running. Please, you can email me at [email protected]

I thank you in advance for your time, patience and help.

Ralph

9 answers to this question

if the cpanel has etrac-h as main domain, it won't show the site name

I see you still have all the forum files in etrac-h.com/smf/

here is a step by step guide

• login to cpanel file manager ( i don't remember the exact name)
  • navigate to public_html, create a new folder in there called "forums"
  • now go to public_html/smf/, select all files, move to public_html/forums/
  • go to public_html/forums/ upload the repair_settings.php file
  • open your browser, enter etrac-h.com/forums/repair_settings.php

I followed your directions step by step, downloaded repair file  repair_settings.php and then uploaded it into the home dir/forum. When I access it here is what I see.

404 - The page you've requested is not available on this server!

What did I do wrong?

ps. My grand daughter loves Anime and draws it all the time.

is etrac-h.com your root directory? meaning is that the main site you chose when you signed up with your hosting provider

you need to create the folder in where that site's root folder is (if you're not sure, take a screenshot of your ftp home_dir folder

and then access etrac-h.com/forums/repair_settings.php using your browser

p. s Anime is very popular hobby among kids these days :)

etrac-h.com is not the name of the root directory. The root dir is still named  (/home/smartstr). I cannot figure out how to change it to etrac-h.com. I ask my hosting provider to help me do this and they said it wasn't their job to do this type of work. I think this has been the source of most of my problems. I was looking last night after I wrote to you and could not find a smf directory anywhere in the root dir or in the public_html dir. I found a Forums dir in the public_html dir but it was empty. I used my Cpanel softaculous installer to install SMF. It put it in the public_html folder. I hope I didn't do something wrong. I am an old man who cannot seem to wrap my brain around all of this stuff. Thank you for your help. Would it help you to help me if I created an account so you could actually see the web page stuff?

I have the forums going yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your help was amazing, thank you thank you thank you. Now I am recreating the old forum with different board names. Where should I go search to find some of the old threads that were posted on the old forums. I have several backups the latest of which was 12/2015. I can unzip them on my computer and look for the posts if you could point me in the right direction.

• inside your unzipped files you will find a sql file
  • go to your cpanel, open phpMyAdmin
  • go to your smf database, the one it asked you to enter when you created your new forum
  • click import from top menu, import the sql file
  • if you have uploaded attachments in your old forum, locate the /attachments folder, upload and replace the same folder in your smf directory
  • done

Many Major problems including these when unzipping files, received the following error messages. Long list more at the bottom.

D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\cgi-bin
    You may need to run WinRAR as administrator
!   A required privilege is not held by the client.
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\public_ftp\lib\libtermcap.so.2
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\public_ftp\lib\ld-linux.so.2
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\public_ftp\lib\libc.so.6
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\public_ftp\lib\libnsl.so.1
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\public_ftp\lib\libnss_files.so.2
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\www
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\.trash\mail\.digdeeper@smartstreasureclub_com
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\.trash\mail\.coinhunter@smartstreasureclub_com
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\.cphorde\meta\latest
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\cgi-bin
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\public_ftp\lib\libtermcap.so.2
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\public_ftp\lib\ld-linux.so.2
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\public_ftp\lib\libc.so.6
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\public_ftp\lib\libnsl.so.1
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\public_ftp\lib\libnss_files.so.2
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\www
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\.trash\mail\.digdeeper@smartstreasureclub_com
    D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr.tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link D:\backup-2.16.2016_23-34-28_smartstr\homedir\.trash\mail\.coinhunter@smartstreasureclub_com

I found one file named mysql and an entire directory named mysql full of SQL files, plus another dir named mysql_timestamp in the unzipped file folder. I went to my Cpanel-PHP my admin and opened it up. It showed me 2 dirs named information_schema and smartstr. I didn't find a dir for ETRAC-H. I opened the smartstr and there were several smartstr_smf files. They are named smartstr_smf1, smartstr_smf1_complete_2013-11-24, smartstr_smf114 and smartstr_smf440. No etrac-h anything. How do I know which smf to use or how do I change them over to etrac-h folder and files? Where do I go to see the name I gave for the smf database when I created the new forum? I know it has to be here somewhere and if I entered the wrong name can I change it?

A cpanel full backup backs up everything, including garbage files, this is normal don't have to worry too much

as for which sql file to use, it depends what CMS you have hosted before in your old site as well as the usage

remember, you + your host + the CMS named the sql, there is no default name so I can't tell you which one to use

however, a good indication is just use the biggest sql file, if you installed smf multiple times, but you only used one for a long period time

as for the current database name of your forum, open settings.php

find $db_name, that is the database name that your current installation is used

you can also look up the old forum's setting file to determine what database sql it was using