We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Car Spotting: What You Saw Recently! - Part 2

The Queen

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The T8 seems nice on paper, but it's a petrol. Majority, and by majority I mean 99 % of bigger SUVs are diesels. 4 cylinders can't substitute morecylinder engines in the sound comfort department. Especially diesels. Maybe Volvo has done some magic things with their new engines and maybe they'll manage to steer some people into the T8 model in some countries, but generally Europe is conservative in this.

162 kW isn't really a lot. I think only the base V6 TDI Touareg and I4 X5 are under the 200 PS mark. IIRC the more powerful versions outsell these.

The T8 seems nice on paper, but it's a petrol.

It's a twin-engine petrol-electric hybrid. BMW, Mercedes and Audi all offer old fashined petrol engines, but as far as I can work out none of them offer a hybrid to compete with the T8, especially none that can give you >100mpg and 400bhp at the same time.

The T8 seems nice on paper, but it's a petrol. Majority, and by majority I mean 99 % of bigger SUVs are diesels. 4 cylinders can't substitute morecylinder engines in the sound comfort department.

162 kW isn't really a lot. I think only the base V6 TDI Touareg and I4 X5 are under the 200 PS mark. IIRC the more powerful versions outsell these

Yeah, the people who are actually buying the cars might have more important priorities than the sound the engine makes. Even if they don't, reading just two reviews - by people who have driven the and do so for a living - is enough to contradict your statement:

• The 4-cyl D5 (225bhp) is practically made for the D5 and pushes the XC90 along very nicely
  • Sound comfort is up there with the best, it's compared to the Mercedes ML and Range Rover Sport
  • Volvo's 4-cyl diesel rattles less than the 6-cyl diesels of "certain competitors" *cough*
  • If anything, the petrol is the one that needs a more interesting sound, and that's precisely what's being dialed in during these last few weeks before production starts

Would they fit it with an engine they knew wasn't going to be refined enough for the car, especially when they are so openly going after the Germans?

It's a twin-engine petrol-electric hybrid. BMW, Mercedes and Audi all offer old fashined petrol engines, but as far as I can work out none of them offer a hybrid to compete with the T8, especially none that can give you >100mpg and 400bhp at the same time.

I did not know that... damn, fair enough Volvo. *looks up on youtube*

And I think it's beautiful, inside and out, definitely a not-so-rich-man's Range Rover.

Went to Monte Carlo today, using my phone camera so excuse any awful quality photos (most likely all of them :p)

PART 1:

Daddy Rolls and Baby Rolls:

oeA2BSn.jpg

I was distracted by something in the harbour and only spotted it really late on, but an SLR:

vBkHmN3.jpg

THE BRITISH INVASION: Mulsanne, V8 Vantage S, Conti GT, Evoque

ByDIYxO.jpg

CSbLoED.jpg

Techart 911

42l4ert.jpg

Classic 911:

r7MVMjN.jpg

I love this colour on the 650S:

i5Uq0o6.jpg

hKdMaT1.jpg

Hmmmm:

wXgYkS1.jpg[/img]

Very colourful and varied:

m2YRmk7.jpg

Design is aging well:

ITwifAc.jpg

Alfa Spider:

zNLbphe.jpg

I loved this XLR due to how weird it is:

Xglw7MG.jpg

So much better than the 1st gen:

R7yeEdY.jpg

:drool: E-Type

Y3OwNzC.jpg

Best sounding thing of the day:

Q3ENP8i.jpg

This is basically the boring stuff, the best stuff is yet to come.