We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Paint unpaintable car parts

CarlosVega

• 2 weeks later...

YES there is. in fact there are at least 3 different ways you could do it... one way does involve extracting all the game archives, so you dont wanna do that. the second is by using a premade Paintshop unlocker ( already exists ) or 3 you can use a normal paintable car and memory hack it so you change it into the car you want. for example you buy a golf ( paintable) and you memory swap it for a nissan gtr, you then have a nissan that still has the name Golf and all the golfs instructions like paintable, stickerable and upgradable . you then go to the paint shop and paint/sticker it. then quit and reload the game, which turns your fake nissan into a real nissan (no longer able to paint it )

If you want to have this explained in much better detail go to tdumods.com we have tutorials on all aspects of painting and stickering ALL cars even the DLC cars. Here is a video i did for that website showing me painting the Shelby GT500 DLC car....

Although in this video i am applying a full body skin to a car the principle is exactly the same

Thanks for the extensive reply. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but i think you misunderstood my question. This is not about painting/stickering the unpaintable cars. I know how to do that.

It is about painting/stickering certain car parts which normally can't be painted or stickered. For example the rear wing on the RUF RGT. Or some of the parts on the Tricolore or Cinque.

ok NOW i get what you mean. and the answer is still YES, well Sometimes.. Its controlled by the car skin file. See my sig, it has links for blank templates for every car in the game, some cars that have unpaintable parts will have a little 4x4 pixel coloured square somewhere on the template. That little square is what controls what colour paint those unpaintable parts will be..

Also sometimes you just cannot paint certain parts of cars from within the paintshop, you just cant get the right angle to do it, for example trying to paint the underside of a spoiler. but with a template you can see both sides of th spoiler at once. Then again some cars you cannot paint those unpaintable parts, because they use a different texture and are not part of the cars skin file

Sounds more confusing than it is. As soon as you see a template with one of those paint squares on you will understand..

But the basic idea is.. Some templates have a little paint square. That paint square controls the paint colour of unpaintable parts on that car. If it doesn't have that little paint square on the template you cannot change the colour on those parts..

OK, found the template for the RUF RGT on your site. It does not have a 4x4 pixel coloured square. To check whether there is actually a spot that controls the colour of the rear wing, i created a single-colored DDS file and used TexMod to apply it to the car. The car was colored all over (as expected), but the rear wing still remained black.

It seems the rear wing of the RUF RGT can't be painted. At least not without unbinning TDU2.

However, as far i could see in your templates it is possible with, for example, the Tricolore. I may use that some day. Again, thanks Nobby, for the still very useful insight.

Also thanks for making all those templates. Must have been some work.

Your very welcome guys.

Yeah there are a few cars where there unpaintable parts cannot have anything done to them via texmod.

Some templates have more than 1 4x4 paint square, the Ferrari 430 scuderia spider has i think 6 4x4 paint squares, to control several different unpaintable parts ( including the hood stripe ) and the Ariel Atom 500 has no template at all, nothing on it is editable in the paintshop, even though the body work is the same as the atom 300.

Lots of odd things to look into. If i find anything odd in a template i usually post about it in the template thread, such as the ferrari 430, i supplied pics to show which paint squares controlled what.

And yeah it took me working 3-4 hours a night for about a week to snag all the templates. I think its worth it though, it makes creating full body skins a hell of a lot easier.

BTW if you happen to find a template ive done that has unpaintable parts and i havn't included a 4x4 paint square let me know in the thread and ill alter the template accordingly. im sure there are a couple i have missed, but its like trying to find a needle in a haystack.:confused: