We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Eden Games divestiture - UP: Eden Gone... no back ...mobile TEST DRIVE [was] in development? AAAAH!!

Eudemon

If you have been bothering to follow the recent news in regards to Atari's latest financial results, then you will know that Atari is currently in the process of divesting Eden Games. What this means is that Atari is basically putting a 'FOR SALE' sign in front of Eden and sticking the same label to it's staff and assets just like they did back in 2006 with the Driver developers Reflections who of course went on to become Ubisoft Reflections and produce the very good (but stupid story) Driver San Francisco. Eden has already been moved to a smaller premises which to be honest makes sense as their previous offices was way too much for the 20-30 staff that remained and Atari has assured that TDU2 will be supported (haha!) in the mean time but as you would expect with Atari when they have called sites reporting on the "closure" of Eden Games and such their contacts vary from simply reducing Eden in size to completely admitting that they are selling it off.

What does this mean for the TDU series? Well who knows, maybe after Ferrari Racing Legends comes out Atari will hand TDU3 to SMS or maybe the next TDU will only be found on Facebook or iPad/iPhone. :eek:

Either way we've had the good: TDU. The bad: TDU2. Let's hope that TDU3 isn't the ugly.

UPDATE: Studio is now CLOSED as of 1st March 2013

edengamesclosed.png

Test Drive Unlimited dev Eden Games closed, company in liquidation Eurogamer.net[/url]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People want pCARS to be a success though, is there enough people who want to see what Eden could do with a TDU3? Perhaps if Atari are out of the picture things would get better but would it be "shame me once shame on you, shame me twice shame on me, shame me three times here just take my bank card".

Oh yeah that was before your time, pic was on the TV banner image for about 2 weeks. I couldn't visit this place at work :p

If you search you may find the relevant thread but not the pic.

When you sign up Diablo you can read this thread regarding TDU3/SMS:

WMD Forum

pCARS members like the idea of SMS doing a TDU after pCARS, and Ian likes it too. That said one would think SMS have enough on their plate just at the moment, besides support TDFRL, pCARS, that free Porsche online game, etc, etc.

• 10 months later...

I'm betting Atari see value in the name only as something to sell now, rather than something to develop another title upon. Who knows though, maybe they'll do the smart thing and put SlightlyMadStudios to work on TDU3.

...yeah I know I read it myself, sorry.

I'm betting Atari see value in the name only as something to sell now, rather than something to develop another title upon. Who knows though, maybe they'll do the smart thing and put SlightlyMadStudios to work on TDU3.

...yeah I know I read it myself, sorry.

Hopefully this is the case. It would be a shame to see a series with such potential be put in the back pages of video game history books.

The white van? have to check that out...

I found some Q&A with Nadal on the IMDB site

Name: David Nadal

Title: Studio Manager

Company: Eden Games

First title worked on: "Asterix and Obelix" on Snes

Most recent title worked on: "Test Drive Unlimited 2"

What game has most influenced you, and why?

"Sega Rally" – 1st 3D racing game that was fun to drive and that has managed to reproduce the pleasure of drifting in "Rally."

Makes me wonder what happened to the drifting in TDU2, lol. If he likes that so much why the complete mess up? I know that game and it was indeed a very cool arcade racer for PC.

Some little bird once told me Nadal programmed the physics engine for Vrally himself. The same engine was used as a base for the physics of TDU1. Add to that the n00b comment from Atari on Diablos remarks regarding the handling and a picture starts to emerge that sheds some alternative light on the development of TDU2.

I don't think selling Eden to Atari turned out the way Nadal expected. It probably brought him some money, but if i'm right he was not in control of the TDU project anymore. At least it looks that way. The interference of some car companies in game dynamics and nerfing the physics are examples of it.

On the other hand, he is also known for bragging about not listening to feedback from the Testers and Focus groups, confirmed by at least 3 devs. Maybe he should have shown the same attitude towards Atari executives who forced him to dumb down the game and introduce dinky driving dynamics. Or did he sell his pride with the company?

Test Drive will continue. But Nadal will probably not be part of it anymore. Sad story. You need crazy people like him to pull a project like this off.

If SMS will continue the legacy with TDU3 it will for sure improve the driving dynamics, but i don't know about gameplay or the real TDU vibe.

:cool: