We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

We're sad to announce that the TDU1 servers will be permanently shut down

TurboDuck

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure of that, but with a QA version of TDU1 we could change the IP adress of TDU1 exe. Hex editing it in the exe (http://orb.testdriveunlimited.com if I remember) might be also a possibility, but still the TDU 1 team had a QA server they could use (according to some lines and stuff :p). So It'll be because of Atari classic lazy attitude we won't have private server...

The only game where I can drift and/or power-slide a car for a decent length of time without the car crashing into the only tree in a field backwards in a fire-ball, all while people were driving behind me thinking I was awesome. Shame TDU2 couldn't have the same sort of handling characteristics so I could resume it.

Might have to install it again for old-time sake.

I'm not sure of that, but with a QA version of TDU1 we could change the IP adress of TDU1 exe. Hex editing it in the exe (http://orb.testdriveunlimited.com if I remember) might be also a possibility, but still the TDU 1 team had a QA server they could use (according to some lines and stuff :p). So It'll be because of Atari classic lazy attitude we won't have private server...
Yeah, server IP (name in fact) is hardcoded into the exe still. Hex editing such values is not guaranteed to be working 100%

but ...

ages ago, I found out you don't have to patch the files to do this. You just have to redirect orb server name to IP of another server (e.g home hosted) by changing hosts file.

So to my point, we just need the server side software and I'll handle it :)

Diablo, have you still contacts with remaining team in the studio - which might give us some things to play with ? :)

Yeah fooling DNS via hosts file would be the easiest way to change the address, just need another server running the service (where would we get that from?) for it to work. And then assuming it works, would it actually work well?

Some more memories:

Filming for part 2 of The Arrival:

20081220223154.jpg

Cage Pursuit (trapped inside Dillingham airfield)

20081223214823.jpg

Race around the island:

20081231231726.jpg

Pool party:

20090102220153.jpg

More Hot Pursuit:

20090131215232.jpg

German cruise:

20090321214851.jpg

Oh are we stopping?

20090411210819.jpg

Playing tag & filming:

20090422212228.jpg

Our massive offroad race from NE lighthouse to SW lighthouse without using roads:

20090502195651.jpg

Filming an episode of TopGear:

20090610234851.jpg

Team Hot Pursuit:

20090705210526.jpg

Trackday:

20090719231832.jpg

20090720001429.jpg

Messing around with Iced hitting top speed:

20090804210902.jpg

Drifting cruise (using all the dead end twisty roads often missed):

20090729224115.jpg

I'm pretty confident you can run the server on a average PC, just requiring a good internet connection.

I remember the server had to be rebooted and service stopped regularly, to install Windows updates !

Now it's very easy to install a virtual machine running with any operating system.

Besides, it appeared that the link with gamespy has been broken as well. Chances are server does not depend on any 3rd party service.

I'd say, if we get the files, 80% of chances :)

But as you said Ryzza, if we are not able to getting those damn server binaries, that's would be the end.

The quest for a private server/lan TDU patch is of the utmost importance and the talent pool here at TDUC is fantastic.

I have a question regarding converting online accounts to offline accounts. I bookmarked this thread years ago but have never really done the conversions...

TDU Mods : Offline Online Profile Conversions [Tutorials]

Post #2 is for online to offline but it says you must create a new online profile, get it to freeride and then do the conversion to offline and then copy your contents into the new, edited profile. I am confused and concerned. Is there no way to convert an Online Profile to Offline without accessing the TDU server? Surely there must be a way to convert Online to Offline without access to the TDU server as these instructions will be of no use after 29/09/2012, a date that will live in infamy.

Please enlighten me on how to carry out the task I thought I never would have to do.

humgoo, I think there's a bit of, how can I put it, the Iced Bullet touch in that tutorial. :lol:

Basically if you want to convert online to offline, create a dummy offline profile and copy the first 50 bytes across to your existing online profile (after backing up)

And vice versa, if you want to go offline to online, create a new online profile and copy the first 50 bytes to your existing offline profile.

Thanks for the clarification.

I foresee in the weeks and months ahead a resurgence in interest in TDU1 offlline and the need to tailor ones game to their own preferences. If a user server patch is developed, then TDU1 will be with us for a long time to come. If not, then we can fiddle with the off-lineversion of the game to our heart's content forever.

Look at Microsoft's Flight Simulator X. They discontinued the game in 2009 and the amount of DLC for it from 3rd party developers has only increased since then. This is partly because the game itself is easily obtainable and with our newer, faster computers, it actually runs better than ever. My paypal account has been very busy lately as I add mods to FSX and increase my disk space to accomodate the massive photo-scenery files that are being produced. On the other hand, Microsoft just laid off most of it's people at the Flight! studios here in Vancouver. Flight! was supposed to replace FSX but they went the same way as so many developers are doing, dumbing down the game to reach what they think is an expanded market and trying to charge for DLC. It didn't work for Flight! and it sure didn't work for TDU2.

What they haven't seemed to grasp is that if they have a good game concept that encourages people to invest time and money into, producing dumbed down, disposable versions of the game (like TDU2) doesn't reach the people they need to sustain it. The recent trend towards cheap mobile apps and facebook kids and housewives that are playing them will move on to other things once the novelty wears off.

Thanks for the clarification.

I foresee in the weeks and months ahead a resurgence in interest in TDU1 offlline and the need to tailor ones game to their own preferences. If a user server patch is developed, then TDU1 will be with us for a long time to come. If not, then we can fiddle with the off-lineversion of the game to our heart's content forever.

Look at Microsoft's Flight Simulator X. They discontinued the game in 2009 and the amount of DLC for it from 3rd party developers has only increased since then. This is partly because the game itself is easily obtainable and with our newer, faster computers, it actually runs better than ever. My paypal account has been very busy lately as I add mods to FSX and increase my disk space to accomodate the massive photo-scenery files that are being produced. On the other hand, Microsoft just laid off most of it's people at the Flight! studios here in Vancouver. Flight! was supposed to replace FSX but they went the same way as so many developers are doing, dumbing down the game to reach what they think is an expanded market and trying to charge for DLC. It didn't work for Flight! and it sure didn't work for TDU2.

What they haven't seemed to grasp is that if they have a good game concept that encourages people to invest time and money into, producing dumbed down, disposable versions of the game (like TDU2) doesn't reach the people they need to sustain it. The recent trend towards cheap mobile apps and facebook kids and housewives that are playing them will move on to other things once the novelty wears off.

very true indeed

there's no need to hex edit or decrypt any files to change the server tdu connects to, use '-orb' command line parameter instead

Hi lean,

how come you haven't been here to talk when TDU Modding was at full speed ? anyway.

Interesting, did you try to make a custom game server or anything ??

So far, I've added the show fps, windowed mode, position options to TDU Modding Tools (see Speeder's post). So any info about orb would be appreciated :)

And yes we need the server side software... my private message box is available if you need to ...

Thanks for your visit ;)

Somewhere in the encrypted ini files it sets the server to orb.testdriveunlimited.com.

'-orb newurl.com' parameter just override this at runtime, great if anyone can get them server binaries.

if not then maybe an idea if people start saving packet logs in these last days just incase anyone could reverse them?

Speeder i only found one other option but i'm not sure what it does, it is '-vbl'

you can enable some debug menus with other ways but they seem a bit broken, also output all the debug strings to text file with a little work

Honestly, Atari isn't doing itself any favors shutting down the servers. I bet they will lose a lot of sales. Even though my time on TDU for PC has been rough and difficult ( Had to re install many times due to problems and also lost the ability to connect to the online *BLAST YOU GOOGLE AND YOUR FAKE TDU PATCH LINKS!* ) When I could actually play online, it was 200% better than playing offline.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah fooling DNS via hosts file would be the easiest way to change the address, just need another server running the service (where would we get that from?)

Hi, i can get pure Linux server for TDU1, and also pay some costs. I need to get in contact with someone who can make it working with TDU1, and need programmer who release HOSTS file patch there so we all can play it. If you know someone please lets make it happen.

---------- Post added at 14:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 PM ----------

Hi, just signed a petition and sent an email to Atari: Select a department

I can provide server for TDU1, need to get in contact with programmer who make it for TDU1 and create hosts file patch for us to play. PM

Not sure server binaries do need a Linux, as they had to reboot their 'server' in the past to apply Windows updates (lol)

Seen @ TDU2 forums announcements.

To host a servers one's basically need :

- a PC with Windows XP->7 or server edition (assuming binaries are Win32/Win64, see above)

- good broadband internet / cable fiber

- lots of RAM (depending on how much people to connect)

- ability to open a wide range of ports with your router (cisco/linksys routers are good at this)

I could dedicate my LAN PC (or a virtual machine on my new game PC) to make it run for my friends.

But ...

without the software (getting binaries or trying to mock the server and re-programming the same) no chances !

Todays offline drive with Aston DB9 = depression

I think i wont support them by buying TDU2. I still believe, waiting their ticket reply. Prepared to pay server costs, and sure Mod programming cost can be covered by TDU community. You just contact them all. If many people request maybe we can win.

20120503152749.jpg

20120730173432.jpg

20111029020750.jpg

Now being positive: Its not the end of days, sun is shining, bees are flying, air is clean, grass is growing :)