We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Ryzza5's PC

Ryzza5

On 11/30/2018 at 11:45 PM, Ryzza5 said:

Time to revive this thread. And time to build a new PC!

The outgoing PC was built in 2012, with the GPU updated in 2015:

Reveal hidden contents

Click to view outgoing specs

New parts:

Spoiler

Case: Fractal Design Define R6 with USB Type C 3.1 Gen 2 front I/O

Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

CPU: Intel i9-9900K

Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 280mm AIO liquid cooler

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz

GPU: Gigabyte nVidia Titan X (old)

M.2: Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVME

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB (old)

HDD: 1x WD Black 2TB (old)*

PSU: Same as old build

* I've also purchased 2x 10TB HDDS to upgrade my NAS storage. I plan to move/remove a bunch of old stored files on the old HDDS and cease using them.

All parts are in hand besides the new CPU and M.2 SSD which should be delivered early next week. I'll probably wait for the next series of GPU's before upgrading that. At the moment I'm doing ok driving the 1440p 21:9 screen with the current GPU.

5 years on and whilst I would have preferred to wait one more CPU generation before upgrading, I've been running into a few problems that could benefit from reinstalling Windows (and hundreds of apps), so why not upgrade some hardware at the same time.  I've also been regularly hitting close to 100% CPU utilisation and over 80% of available RAM (32GB).

I will be reusing my case, PSU, fans, storage drives, and blu-ray drive, as well as keep the 4070 Ti that I purchased earlier this year.

As I use my PC for audio production (single-threaded, high clock speeds), video editing (multi-threaded), and gaming and also value power efficiency I have selected the AMD Ryzen 9 7900 CPU as it gets around 80-90% toward the top of different performance benchmarks and can be easily overclocked whilst costing less than the 7900X.  Motherboard selection came down to having the right mixture of USB ports and M.2 slots without wasting money on premium on-board audio that I'll never use. Asus haven't been in people's good books recently but this board was on sale, and Gigabyte have been hacked once or twice in recent years so downloading BIOS updates and drivers from their website presents a risk of sorts.   M.2 Gen 4 SSDs have been becoming more affordable recently so I picked up an extra 4TB on sale.  And for RAM I went for a G.Skill 64GB 6000 MT/s kit which uses preferred SK Hynix chips.

So for my own benefit 5 years from now, the PC build will look something like this:

Case:  Fractal Design Define R6 with Type C USB 3.1 Gen 2 Front IO (10gbps)

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming with WiFi

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 9 7900

Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 280mm AIO liquid cooler ($3 AM5 adapter purchased)

RAM: 64GB G.Skill TRIDENT Z5 NEO RGB  DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 1.4V  EXPO F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR

GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia RTX 470Ti 12GB

M.2 SSD #1: 4TB PNY CS2241 Gen 4x4 (~5GB/s read) - for operating system, games, programs, virtual instruments and other audio plugins.

M.2 SSD #2: 2TB Samsung EVO Plus 970 Gen 3x4 (~3GB/s read) - for audio production projects and export files

M.2 SSD #3: 2TB Samsung EVO Plus 970 Gen 3x4 (~3GB/s read) - for video production projects and export files and OBS gameplay recordings

SATA SSD #4: 8 TB Samsung 870 QVO (~0.5GB/s read) - I did use this for virtual instruments, games, and other downloads (basically anything that could be downloaded again since there was no way I was backing up this drive).  It's clear that this will become a bottleneck for modern games hence the new 4TB Gen 4 SSD.  I'm contemplating moving this drive to my HTPC for Plex movie/TV libraries so that I don't have to use the NAS as much (it's a bit noisy).

SATA SSD #5: 4TB Samsung 850 EVO (~0.5 GB/s read) - currently used for audio production projects and files and some GoPro and OBS videos. I'll probably keep using it for older GoPro and OBS clips. Older games that don't require the speed boost might also end up here.

Once the RAM arrives in the next day or two I should be good to start switching things over.  

I'm Thanks for listening to my TED talk.