We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Ryzza5's PC

Ryzza5

Built this one in May 2008:

Case: Antec 900 (with extra optional fans) - $191

Mobo: XFX nVidia n790i Ultra 1333MHz FSB - $559

CPU: Intel Q9550 2.83GHz 1333MHz FSB - $679

RAM: OCZ Reaper 4GB DDR3 1333MHz FSB - $335

GPU: XFX nVidia 9800 GX2 - $829

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w - $425

DVD-RW: Asus /w Lightscribe - $40

HDD: 3x WD 2TB Black series + 1x WD 2TB Green (added over time)

Total: $3,008

Monitor: BenQ E2420HD with 2x HDMI, 1x DVI, 1x VGA

Speakers: Logitech Z5500D 5.1 surround.

In May 2010 upgraded to an eVGA nVidia 480GTX ($830) since the GX2 died and generally wasn't that great. Has always been very quick but quite noisy with all those fans.

I'm now looking to build something much quicker but also a lot quieter. In the meantime I've purchased a near-silent HTPC for all non-gaming tasks (such as typing this up) since leaving the gaming PC on all day would leave the ears ringing.

Had a bit of a look around (haven't checked other nearby stores to find the lowest price yet) and am thinking building something like this:

Case: CoolerMaster Silencio 650 - $157

Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V-Deluxe - $308

CPU: Intel i7 3770K 3.5 - 3.9GHz - $338

RAM: Gskill RipjawsZ F3-17000 16GB 2133MHz FSB - $159

GPU: eVGA nVidia GTX 680 4GB 1019MHz O/C edition - $779

PSU: Keep existing? - $0

Optical: Keep Existing? - $0 (or Bluray burner for $89)

HDD: Keep Existing? =$0 (8TB should be enough, might get another SSD though when prices drop more)

CPU Cooler: Haven't looked yet, mustn't block RAM (high profile) and mustn't be noisy

Total so far: $1,879

that's pretty much a great rig that would run for many years. For cooling I use this

Xilence M606 Multisocket Cooler for CPU with 120mm PWM Fan: Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

it's very efficient and relatively silent.

my cpu degree never exceeds 60c* even with light overclock. > that might differ in australia :cheeky:

you should keep the psu as well.

Guest MrLolololXD

Yeah I'd say keep your current PSU.

Have you thought about going down the route of building a liquid cooled system?

And for a mobo, I've been thinking of buying this personally ASUS Maximus V Extreme Motherboard :mhmm:

---------- Post added at 9:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:08 PM ----------

Fusion Thermo - Republic of Gamers Motherboards

Saw that mobo but it doesn't really have anything extra that I'd have much use for. Thunderbolt isn't big enough yet and there's no point buying TB devices if you can only plug them into one PC. Expansion cards will be the best way to add them eventually.

WC would be cool (pardon the pun) but don't have a heck of a lot of room. Have considered getting a standalone CPU water cooler though.

Keep the existing PSU unless you want Corsair. Do you have an SSD? If not, the Corsair SSD's are going on sale because they just came out with newer models with new controllers. I'm buying a Series 3 GT on Wednesday. 240GB for $199.

Anyway, screw how loud your PC is. Wear headphones! That's what I do.

Oh, and get a Corsair H80. Such an easy install and the temps are absolutely fantastic. (or a H100 if you are going to uber overklokxzzzZ because you convince yourself that folding will save the world)

Being in IT stuff, virtualisation, video editing, file conversion and so on I think there's more of a chance I'll benefit from the 3770k, but it is just a little amazing how similar the i5 is for $100 less.

Read some calculations posted by a graphics dev on the pCARS team and saw there is potential benefit for having more than 2GB of video memory for upcoming games so I want to be future proofed. It will still be the cheapest graphics card I've purchased in at least half a decade :)

Was home and bored yesterday so went and bought everything and started building it. Working well so far, just have to re-route a few cables on the back side so the do

If I put PC parts in my sig it would now look like this:

MB Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe // CPU Intel i5 3570K // RAM G.Skill 16GB DDR3 @2133MHz // GPU EVGA nVidia 680 4GB FTW Edition // HDD 4x 2TB Western Digital // SSD Corsair Force 3 240GB // Cooler Corsair H80 // Case CoolerMaster 650 Silencio // Display BenQ E2420HD 24" LCD // Speakers Logitech Z5500-D 5.1ch // OS Windows 8 Pro x64

Wheel Fanatec CSR Elite // Pedals Fanatec Clubsport // Shifter Thrustmaster TH8RS with InterfaceOne wheel adapter // Head Tracking TrackIR v4 // Audio Transducer ButtKicker Gamer v2.0 // Seat PlaySeat Executive

• 2 weeks later...

Booted up into my old old Windows 7 partition (which wasn't very happy to see completely new hardware, although it handled it quite well)

Here's a WEI screenshot:

before.png

And after installing new chipset, network, and nVidia drivers here's a new shot:

after.png

Of course this old Win7 isn't on my SSD hence the slower bottleneck. Will add a Win8 WEI shot later

• 5 months later...

Here's the Win 8 WEI screenshot that I never added:

Untitled.png

Also today I got around to updating the BIOS/UEFI firmware and then used a built in XMP profile to overclock the FSB.

Core i5 CPU from 3.4GHz (3.6 with Turbo) to 4.1GHz

16GB of DDR3 RAM now running at 2133MHz instead of 1600MHz

130329121922.jpg

130329122605.jpg