We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Why can't we make our own server?

MephistoRacing

The way I see it, all it should take to create our own server is a decent programmer to figure out the software, and somewhere to host/funds for hosting. After the software is figured out, we could just change the windows Hosts file to redirect TDU to the new server. I know I'm making it sound a lot simpler than it is, but all the variables of the server should have something pointing to them in the game's core files, else the game wouldn't know what to do. So there should be a way to do this, right?

By "figuring out" you want some modder to be able to rebuild server software that took a few developers months to build, test, and refine despite that software never being released for any of us to see how it worked in the simplest of terms. It's just not going to happen unless the people who worked with it get involved.

The possibility of someone making a perfect replica with no help from the original devs would be <0.0001% I would say.

The Forza Horizon des didn't even try making a MOOR for their game and came up with some excuse how it wasn't necessary, and reviewers are now discovering the current MP options are quite lame in comparison. Add to that my own limited developer experience and following SMS creating MP for pCARS.

Sure someone skilled enough could make something that did the same thing, but that wouldn't be good enough since it has to communicate with the game in the way the game was programmed to do so, and if they could they'd either expect a big payment (which then creates legal problems with Atari) or would have to be even bigger fans than we are.

It would have been possible to create a server by reverse-engineering (seen in other MMORPGs)

, but it seemed that most of people like me (I'm a developer) have chosen to get a life rather spending days and nights with such a hard task.

Great time to move on, guys ! We have to accept it :)

GTA:SA is a legend, thus has a much wider fanbase and addicts count as TDU 1 ...

Don't forget that us people, who like driving nice cars in open environments, are nothing in number compared to third person shooters, fps, and even well known simulations.

Let's add a crappy editor such as Atari to ruin the concept .... now maybe you'll understand :D

Put a bunch of programmers in a room together and you'd just end up with a bunch of half-dead coffee overdosers after a week :P

@Djey - Reverse engineering is what I meant, but I see your point about the fan base, that does make it sort of out of the question.

@Scoob - For the longest time, I've been thinking that, and even collaborated with a few people to get something started. The problem is, the difference between having an idea, and it actually adding up to something, in the games industry, is massive. Even with well experienced people. Getting things done is easy, getting things together is where it gets difficult.

If we could do this, I'd be all for it.

I garuntee you that if we did, we'd have the next "DayZ" on our hands. We could add more cars, change the session cap, add more roads.. Unlimited possibilities.. I wish everyday that we had a map like that of the one in Just Cause 2 with all the TDU cars and more but sadly, this won't ever happen.

• 2 months later...

Well, i've not been here for quite some time, so glad to see that things haven't changed that much.

I have just emailed Eden asking who owns the rights to the server side programme that ran TDU.

IF I get an answer I will let you know.

IF you feel like joining in and asking them for some action please feel free to chip in either by email or via facebook etc. Atari are, in my mind, a waste of space, never supported the game properly right from it's release date and certainly took advantage of the many fans of TDU, took the money and then let them down.

Ubisoft wouldn't have done this to the fans, the FAR CRY 1 servers are still active to this day and thats even older than TDU.

Too often these days people are ripped off by big companies who are only in it for the profit, Atari seem to have turned into one of those companies and I, like many others, will never buy another Atari game.

They didn't listen to the beta testers on TDU2 who told them the physics were pants, the wheel support was pants and that they could have done a much better job by just expanding on the original game with DLC. I think there is still enough people out there who would support the original game if it were updated and hosted properly. Stick your 2p's worth in and mail them.

• 1 month later...

I think there really is enough people with talent to make a new game.. maby using some TDU stuff.. hmm may not be a good sounding idea, but taking things from TDU and packing them into a new "unofficial" game.. maby it's stupid, maby it isn't. But hell, after thinking about it for a minute I got frustrated.. seems impossible.

• 1 month later...

Creating your own server would be a brilliant idea. I don't really see Atari issues here, because

1. TDU is free for modding

2. They stopped supporting the game

3. You still need the original game to play

Combining TDU1 and 2 would be the real challenge.

Adding cars instead of swapping would be a start.

Maybe there are still a few rogue devs around, who have a grudge against Atari and will drop some files anonymously:cheeky:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...