We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Camels Mini

Camel

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had it running again today to move it and it was running like utter crap again. I can't get it fixed up on my own because for starters I haven't got a clue what i need to do atm and I keep getting let down by people who say they'll come and give me a hand. I just want to see if having new oil and enough oil would make it work fine.

May as well bloody sell it and get some money back.

Fixed it.. Well, it wasn't broken in the first place. I just didn't realise it didn't have an auto choke.

Once the previous owner advised me about that it started straight away first time, quicker than my dads car in this kinda weather!

He also brought round the CD player too and :lol:. The speakers aren't bad to say they're older than me but it's safe to say I'll be buying some new ones after Christmas.

Oh, I'm also closer to finding the leak. Passenger footwell had 2 inches of water in it with no water anywhere else. Emptied it all out and more water seamed to be coming up through the floor? What is this magic? :lol:

So essentially when you went to buy the car the previous owner asked if you knew how to drive it and you went 'yes of course, how hard could it be' :lol:

Glad to hear the car's fine and it's just you with a few issues :p

iirc a shotgun is the correct way to deal with flooded footwells :)

I'm with MB, 20w-50 oil??? That's thicker what we put in huge diesel's in the summer. Let alone a tiny engine in the dead of winter. 5w-20 or even 0w-20 would be better. Just because it says classic car oil doesn't mean you should put it in. That's probably why it's running so rough is the oil is too thick cold to circluate through your engine quick enough to lubricant everything. Any way I'm loving the mini, I would love to have one.

I'm not an idiot, I did research the best oil for the car before I went out and bought it. It came to either the Halfords 20w50 or another 20w50 oil. The Haynes manual says 10w40 so putting in the ones you said would more than likely damage it as they're far to thin.

Also the A series engines don't play nice with synthetic oil either. Remember the engine design is from the 50's, just tweaked a bit.

I think my first car had a choke too - was a 1985 Ford Telstar Ghia 2.0L 5spd manual. Wasn't properly my car (got it when I was neatly 16 to learn in, but wasn't registered in my name obviously). Ended up with too many cars so we decided to get rid of it and I learnt in our Mitsubishi Starwagon (8 seat van) 5spd manual.

Had an interesting day...

Made the ramps today. Only just made it up the first step. Planed them off so it was a less steep gradient and much smoother. Made if just over halfway up and it just couldn't make it further and I rolled backwards, straight over the blocks of wood behind the rear tires and straight into my stepdads tool shed. :eek:

So there's a big exhaust shaped hole in the side of it. And also all of the water and muck got shot out of the exhaust and also made the side of the shed black. My car took a dump.:lol:

So it's a good job I didn't buy the metal ramps as I'd have no chance getting up them as my wooden ones were only 4 steps high and not 5.

Getting a jack tomorrow to lift the car up and put the ramps under the tires. I will get the car on the ramps!

Exactly haha.

Went and bought a trolley jack today but it wouldn't fit under the front of the car. It would sort of but not under the subframe, just a few mm too tall. So we tried to get each wheel onto a plank of wood 47mm thick with a sloped edge. But nope, couldn't do it. We had to push it while I was using the engine to get up. Managed to make it up in the end and change the oil. Oil didn't loo too great... And only 3 litres came out when there should be 4.5 in it.

ATJQ2.jpg

Also found the horn and screen washer. They're funny. :lol:

For the first few miles after the oil change the car had no power at all. But once It got around the engine it was like a whole new car. Very nippy but it's probably slow. Feels really quick.

Although before it started working properly I had someone flash their lights at me because I could only do 20mph up a hill in second with my foot down. But then I shot away on the corners which put a smile on my face.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.