We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Homemade Car Ramps

Camel

Which ramps?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which ramps?

• Option A
    • Option B
    • Other(Do tell me your suggestion!)
    • You think I should get metal ones so I don't get splinters

Has anyone here made/got some that are made out of wood? They look like this.

-- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) --

I'd trust wood stacked(nailed) like that than the flimsy looking metal ramps. A, they're much cheaper and B, they're stronger. But I'm just unsure of the best way to make them for my car.

A)
|_|____
|______\___
|__________\___
|______________\___
|__________________\

B)
|_|____
|______\
|_______\
|________\
|_________\
|__________\

I'm guessing a bit like either of those but with less steep incline. Bear in mind the front wheels are very close to the front of the car so the bumper shouldn't catch on the ramps. Which do you think is best or would go for?

I should do this myself, I dont have a trolly jack and the point to jack up my car is too small to be able to jack it up then put a jack stand in place, so I just drive up onto a bunch of pavers lol. Gets the job done but it takes an extra 5 minutes of gathering pavers, then aligning them properly, then I have this fear that i'll jolt over the edge and smack the car ON the pavers.

If you're that worried about the ramps giving way then put some axle stands under the car, spare wheel under a sill, whatever else. If the ramps are rated for 2 tonnes then they should take the weight of a 700KG Mini easily. If they don't you've either bought some dodgy cheap brand or you've seriously mistreated them.

Of course if you want to use wooden home-made ramps and feel like doing a bit of DIY to make your own then that's fair enough. I'd go for option A most definitely.

I just borrow my dad's metal ramps, jack and axle stands. All rated for 2 tonnes. They've supported my car, the Skoda, the Scenic, the Golf and my nan's Omega on numerous different occasions and they still look the same as they did when they were bought.

I just didn't want to spend £60 on something I could make myself for 1/5 of the cost. My mate is going to lend me his axle stands when I need them as he doesn't use them anymore.

I have the wood now anyway, just need to wait till it's light tomorrow to cut it up.

And I'm going for A, With the top step being 10" long and each step below being an additional 3" longer.