We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Inline skating in Australia

mau92

Hey there! This friday i'm going to Australia, as I know there are some Australian members in the forum and I want some advice (of course, if someon non-australian who was there wants to join there's no problem!) from those.

Here in Argentina, I do inline skate in my city and I know where to go and what streets I can ride on with no problems at all. Since it's my first time visiting Australia I'd like to take my pair of inline skates and roll the cities (Sydney and Melbourne) to see them in another way.

So my question is, what places are skater-friendly (e.g. parks, streets, etc) :P and which zones should I avoid (e.g. heavy traffic, narrow streets, too much ppl, etc).

I'm looking forward to visit Australia, as a child I always wanted to go (don't know why, but i wanted to go, and still want =D ).

Greetings!

P.S. What are the temperatures there? Yesterday we have something like 37°C, and it felt like 50°C (according to TV, but it really felt like that), The normal temperatures are around 28°C/32°C

You can pretty much skate anywhere you want AFAIK. There are a lot of inline skaters skating along Beach Rd in Melbourne all the time. It's a two metre wide running/cycling/skating walkway that goes for many many kilometres along the beach. Let me know if you want more info.

It's not TOO hot here in Melb atm. Around 30degrees, sometimes higher and sometimes lower. The really hot temps start in late-ish January till Februrary.

Stick around St Kilda or docklands for Melbourne I would suggest. You won't have all the commuters (i.e. me) there atm so it may not be as busy. However NYE it'll be super busy so be careful. As long as you're not grinding buildings, etc you should be fine to skate wherever. You will need a helmet though (sold at some 7-11 shops).

There's also an indoor ice skating rink in Melbourne if that takes your fancy.

Friday through to Monday is forecast to be 22 degrees so you won't have to worry about the heat. Might be the odd small shower.

Guest MrLolololXD
Friday through to Monday is forecast to be 22 degrees so you won't have to worry about the heat. Might be the odd small shower.

Lol this is Melbourne we're talking about here, the weather forecast is never right. Tomorrow will probably be 45 degrees then the next day 12 with massive thunder storms then back to 34 the next day with 100% humidity.

Thanks very much for the info! As i don't know where my hotel is going to be, i'd like to know how safe is to roll on the streets. Oh and about skating style I'm of those who goes fast (if possible), but not agressively though, if I have to jump something i do it :P

What about Sydney? Is it Melbourne-like?

Greetings!

Mauricio

Ps. I hate writing on the iPod...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...